GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if anyone has seen or commented on this yet. This is a pic of the Production Volt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is the 1/3 scale caamo and someones rendering of what it would look like without the camo. It looks just like the production car in the pic above. So kudos to the renderer.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Not sure if anyone has seen or commented on this yet. This is a pic of the Production Volt.
Yeah, it's been up before. It's not a picture of the production Volt. It is someone's (not GMs) photoshoped guess on what the production Volt will look like based on the tape up 1/3 model, the original concept and the sneek peek photo. I personally think it is very optimistic and wishful thinking. From the tape up model, we can see that the wheels are much smaller, there are no fender flares, the belt line is different and the nose is much rounder than what is shown here. Don't get too attached to this rendering, I think it's probably pretty far off.

The greenish Photoshop rendering in your second post I think is much more accurate. It has the wheels closer to the right size, the belt line spot on and the nose more rounded. However it too, is optimistic about the fender flares and side sculpting. If you look closely at the tape model, it's pretty clear there are no fender flares and probably little if any side sculpting. This makes sense, because those features add drag and the whole point of the redesign was to get a lower CD.

·
Registered
7 Posts
volt body style

I guess I don't understand why the stylish original volt concept cannot be brought to production as is. Why would GM water down the design and reduce the car to a ho-hum design. Cost?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I guess I don't understand why the stylish original volt concept cannot be brought to production as is. Why would GM water down the design and reduce the car to a ho-hum design. Cost?
One word: aerodynamics. Apperently, they finally got around to sticking the concept in the wind tunnel and quicky realized that as is they would never achieve the 40 mile all EV goal. A redesign was needed. According to the engineers, aerodynamics is more important than weight when it comes to electric vehicles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
One word: aerodynamics. Apperently, they finally got around to sticking the concept in the wind tunnel and quicky realized that as is they would never achieve the 40 mile all EV goal. A redesign was needed. According to the engineers, aerodynamics is more important than weight when it comes to electric vehicles.
For those wondering why aerodynamics is so important for the volt and the weight doesn’t matter (as) much, hers a bit of basic physics to help explain why.

There are two places where more energy is used with more mass; the first one is when you accelerate:

Force = Mass * Acceleration. So, with more mass you will need more force to accelerate the same amount, and with more force required that means you need to use more energy. An example of this is a semi, they have way more power then your car but you can accelerate much faster because they have much more mass. Once you stop accelerating and are at a constant speed no more energy is being used for accelerating. With a ICE engine you never get that energy back, but with the volt (electric cars) you get a good percentage of what you used to accelerate back when you use regenerative braking (this is why hybrids are good for stop and go traffic). This reduces (but doesn’t eliminate) the effect the weight has to the efficiency.

The other place where weight affects energy use is on hills.

Potential Energy = Mass * Gravity * Height. The amount of energy you use is based on how much vertical distance you travel. So as you go up a hill, even if you’re going at a constant speed you are still using lots of extra energy, and this increases as you add more mass. Again though, what goes up must come down and when you drive down the hill again you can recover some of that energy with regenerative braking in an electric car. ICE cars never get that energy back. So again, the other main effect on efficiency related to weight is reduced.

The other things that take the rest of your energy when you drive are the aerodynamics, rolling resistance, waste heat, and anything else you are powering like AC. All of these things are constant drains on your energy, and cannot be recovered. As you increase your speed the aerodynamics becomes more and more important, because the force (energy usage) increases exponentially. These are the things they need to work on to increase the range without increasing battery size.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Image of Production vehicle?

I hadn't seen that image anyplace. Where did it come from. Is it legit? The styling is very close to the original concept. You can see the roof line has been raised, which GM had said it was going to do. The fron't looks very close to the concept, which I love, but find it diffacult to believe that they were able to keep and reduce drag by 30%.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I hadn't seen that image anyplace. Where did it come from. Is it legit? The styling is very close to the original concept. You can see the roof line has been raised, which GM had said it was going to do. The fron't looks very close to the concept, which I love, but find it diffacult to believe that they were able to keep and reduce drag by 30%.
I'll be easy on you, but this was post sometimes ago, by me. With the source and etc... get more here

1 - 11 of 11 Posts