GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Phone appt & Tesla Ranger will come to you [at work/home] to take care of your car.

Re: Phone appt & Tesla Ranger will come to you [at work/home] to take care of your car.

Will be interesting to see how well above works out. It has been mentioned in several articles as they have been ramping up Tesla Ranger folks for a while now in anticipation of so many more Tesla owners.

Elon tweet: "Will soon enable Tesla owners to request service from their phone with a few taps. Tesla Ranger will come to you to take care of your car. No need to bring the car in yourself & zero paperwork."

Several other TM3 tid bits as well recently (I was out of town and just started reading about them)

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
9 car-years, no significant problems with our Chevrolet Volts. Nobody needs to meet me at home.

$85,000 for a 3.5 second Model 3 (not black, with dest fees, with ACC).

The reason it's so cheap, is they put the old inductive motor from the MS75D into the nose.

I predicted the AWD would be $5000. Correct.
I predicted the P variant would be $93k. Yeah, I porked that one, but I assumed they'd use dual PM motors and the acceleration it would entail.

I'd rather have the $93k dual PM motor Performance edition, than the $80k gimped variant.

Suddenly the $88k Jaguar iPace with ACC/Autosteer and more features than the Tesla seems like a wiser choice.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Trivia - The Model 3LR as sold today has better acceleration than the Dual Induction MS75D once you hit 10 mph.

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
9 car-years, no significant problems with our Chevrolet Volts. Nobody needs to meet me at home.
Your 'car-years' comment is misleading because car problems often happen after several years. i.e. your 2016/17 cars are so new still. There are a lot of Volt problems cropping up on 2011-2013 cars these days on this site.

I don't think GM would have replaced my partial battery at my house which took like 1.5 weeks at my dealer!!

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Your 'car-years' comment is misleading because car problems often happen after several years. i.e. your 2016/17 cars are so new still. There are a lot of Volt problems cropping up on 2011-2013 cars these days on this site.

I don't think GM would have replaced my partial battery at my house which took like 1.5 weeks at my dealer!!
And you think Tesla will change your battery in your driveway. OK.

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
No. Sorry my comment was confusing and I definitely did not mean to imply that. (see 80% quote in next post which leaves 20% at service center) I only meant I have had my charger (AC->DC) as well as a partial battery replacement in my Volt. They are definitely not as reliable as I once thought based on that and the various problems that are cropping up on this site.

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What happened to the $35K Model 3? Will they come fix all those also?
Why not? See underlined below.

https://electrek.co/2017/02/23/tesla-service-expands-ranger-program-model-3/

[Tesla] announced that they plan on expanding this segment of their service operations:
“Ahead of the Model 3 launch, we are reengineering and expanding our operations as we anticipate the needs of a much larger family of Tesla owners.

In service, since more than 80% of our repairs are so minor that they can be done remotely, we are expanding our mobile repair service that allows Tesla to make vehicle repairs at an owner’s home or office.

In February, we opened a 168,000 square foot vehicle delivery center in Hong Kong; and we plan to accelerate expansion of the Supercharger network this year, starting with doubling our number of North American Supercharger locations in 2017.”

·
Registered
790 Posts
This is relatively new technology that is now first getting to be 8-9 years old. There are certain to be some issues simply due to unknown variables when designing and building out the tech.

I would not say that Tesla has a great track record with reliability either. There are a number of (I assume minor) documented cases of things like door and windows malfunctioning, cars getting stuck/stranded, etc...

These IMO are basically growing pains.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
I suspect the nature of the issue will dictate how your vehicle is serviced. They are building a brand new Service Center in St Louis. Seems to me both programs are needed and will address the growing fleet of Tesla's roaming the streets of America. Here in the corn fields of southern Illinois I see as many Tesla's as Volt's. In the last week I have seen two new M3', two MX' and a handful of MS'.

Not surprising since a Tesla and GM have sold about the same number of EV's in the last 8 years.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts

$85,000 for a 3.5 second Model 3 (not black, with dest fees, with ACC).

The reason it's so cheap, is they put the old inductive motor from the MS75D into the nose.

I predicted the AWD would be $5000. Correct.
I predicted the P variant would be $93k. Yeah, I porked that one, but I assumed they'd use dual PM motors and the acceleration it would entail.

I'd rather have the $93k dual PM motor Performance edition, than the $80k gimped variant.

Suddenly the $88k Jaguar iPace with ACC/Autosteer and more features than the Tesla seems like a wiser choice.
Hard to say. The induction motor is considered the 'performance' motor. So one might think that dual induction would be the way to go on a P model. OTOH, the PM motor is a lot easier to cool - so better for longer track events. Trade-offs...

The Jag looks nice and all. But Jag has zero experience deploying and supporting EVs, whereas Tesla is approaching 200K sales - just in the U.S. I'd give Jag a few years to prove themselves.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts