GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/create-fast-charging-network-wide-scale-adoption-electric-vehicles/zf0nNH7b

Having an strong charging infrastructure that charges electric vehicles has benefit well beyond electric vehicles. Charge stations and gas stations essentially are energy storage and delivery hub. The charge stations can utilize solar/wind power, on-site generation, or storing grid power during off-peak hours. In the event of disaster, these stations can have the potential feed back to the grid if we have smart grids. I see the effort of building high-speed charge stations would have a domino impacts of building smart grids, distributed power generation, hence the nation's power infrastructure would become more efficient and more resilient to natural disaster and disruptions.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Signed it, but my concern with something like this is that it does not explicitly state how this program would be paid for and whether drivers would be required to pay for the service. This is kind of stepping on the toes of private industry, but if Government sets baseline requirements, other businesses can add their own premium branding/service later (kind of like the USPS versus FedEx, UPS, etc.).

·
Registered
462 Posts
Sounds excellent! But the Volt charges slower than any other EV. I'm guessing this is for level 3 chargers that we can't even hook up to.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Personally, what I would like to see is every public rest stop on the freeways equipped with a L3 charging station (even if they are only 40-60 kW). Obviously, they would need to put a fine structure in place (i.e., the equivalent of a handicap parking violation if you are parked in a spot and not actively charging). Also, this is one of the few Government programs where they could, potentially, see a direct payback from the investment, because they could charge a per-session fee (probably $5 to $10).

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Nope. Not time yet. It would cost BILLIONS to do it.

I would rather see a law that enforced parking violations for ICE cars parking at charging stations. More often than not... Some idiot has parked an SUV in the public charging stations I run into. And it's not against the law to do so right now.

Most EV's sold today cannot even use an L3 EVSE. The Volt's on board charger cannot interface with an L3 EVSE. (Neither can a Leaf.)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Building infrastructures like such would take years, we may be talking about at least a decade before the goal is halfway achieved. By that time, we will be looking at 3rd or 4th iteration, and laughing at L1, L2 and even L3 charging. No matter which interface standards are decided on, the backbone of such charging station would not leave the law of physics where a huge amount energy would need to be pre-stored and delivered in a small amount of time.

Hopefully the future iterations of Volt would incorporate a charge system that's similar to that in Tesla Model S where any reasonable range of voltage and current would work well with the vehicle, and the charging system in the car can automatically adjust to AC or DC.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts