GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CRV (or Rav4) and Fits have the same general shape, but the former is larger and a CUV, and the latter is smaller and a compact car. I can't tell which one the Bolt is more like just from pictures, since they tend to lack scale. Anyone out there see one in person and have an opinion?

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
CRV (or Rav4) and Fits have the same general shape, but the former is larger and a CUV, and the latter is smaller and a compact car. I can't tell which one the Bolt is more like just from pictures, since they tend to lack scale. Anyone out there see one in person and have an opinion?
I've seen the Bolt up close in person, but if you can, find a Ford C-Max. The Bolt is a tiny bit shorter and tiny bit narrower than a C-Max, but otherwise the exterior size is very similar. The Bolt is about 10 inches shorter than a C-Max.

But definitely bigger than a Fit.

·
Registered
307 Posts
If you want to know what the Bolt will look like, its built on the Chevy Trax which you can find at any Chevy dealership. It will look a little different but will be the same size.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
The Bolt is 8.3" longer than a Fit, the WB is exactly 3" longer, it is 1.8 or 2.8" taller and it is 2.8" wider.
So even though the Fit is a roomy vehicle, the Bolt is bigger and the sub-cabin pack gives the Bolt a ton of interior space.Bolt
The RAV4 is just a bigger vehicle, it is 15.9" longer than the Bolt, the WB is 2.3" longer, it is 2.6" taller and 3.1" wider.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
If you want to know what the Bolt will look like, its built on the Chevy Trax which you can find at any Chevy dealership. It will look a little different but will be the same size.
Or a Buick Encore, which is also built on the same platform as the Trax.

·
Administrator
19,981 Posts
The definition of CUV is very wide. Many use their personal opinion as to what constitutes a CUV. For some a Compact Utility Vehicle must be large, for others it must have AWD "available" as an option even if you don't choose it as an option. Chevy is referring to the Bolt as a CUV based on exterior form and ride height from what I can tell. YMMV

·
Registered
129 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I saw a picture of CEO Mary Barra next to the Bolt Ev from the auto show, and it is as tall as she is. My guess is that the roofline is 63 inches high, so it is a tall vehicle, and as such looks smaller from a distance. I can easy expect many customers to be surprised at the inside space, since the floor is flat from door edge to door edge (no borders or sills to climb or stumble over).

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I have been able to see the Bolt EV up close and I have driven a Trax.

The Bolt EV is certainly not built on the Trax. While the Trax certainly has some similarities and the Bolt EV will borrow some parts from the GM Gamma II platform (rear suspension design). The Bolt EV is a lot bigger on the inside than the Trax for passenger space. For cargo they are fairly close.

The Bolt EV is built on an all new dedicated EV platform.

The Bolt is 8.3" longer than a Fit, the WB is exactly 3" longer, it is 1.8 or 2.8" taller and it is 2.8" wider.
So even though the Fit is a roomy vehicle, the Bolt is bigger and the sub-cabin pack gives the Bolt a ton of interior space.Bolt
The RAV4 is just a bigger vehicle, it is 15.9" longer than the Bolt, the WB is 2.3" longer, it is 2.6" taller and 3.1" wider.
To the op's question the answer is neither. The Bolt EV is in between a Fit and a CR-V.

This is a difficult question for many people because the Bolt EV is difficult to compare to other gas vehicles using common exterior measuring metrics.

The Bolt EV is built on an all new dedicated EV only platform. There are very few cars today that are built on dedicated EV platforms. In fact only two come to mind (BMW i3 and Tesla S/X) and they too are packaged and sized different from the Bolt EV.

The Bolt EV will carry a lot of firsts. And at the end of the day people will just need to sit in it and experience it for themselves. I figure after the next round of major autoshows likely starting with the LA show in November is when we all will be able to touch, feel and sit in the Bolt EV.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Wrong Honda...it's about the size of the HRV (which is like the Chevy Trax).

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
This is a difficult question for many people because the Bolt EV is difficult to compare to other gas vehicles using common exterior measuring metrics.
There are two things about the Bolt that are pretty unique compared to conventional cars:

1) The engine compartment looks to be shorter than many other similar vehicles because there's basically less stuff that has to be up front. There's no conventional transmission and the electric motor is smaller than an ICE engine of similar power. That means that a greater percentage of the overall vehicle length is used for passenger/cargo volume.

2) Because the battery is under the floor, there's pretty much nothing underneath the cargo area. No exhaust, no gas tank - nothing. That's why the cargo area can have a "hidden" compartment below the standard floor that's about 8 or 9" deep, and a "wheel well" below even that. The wheel well appears to be sized and shaped to hold a spare tire, probably a full sized one, although it's still unclear whether there may be some equipment down there that precludes using it for that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can give you my opinion on the difference between the size of tree crv vs the bolt because I have owned both. I bought a crv thinking it would replace my van, that it did not. I don’t understand all the positive reviews after owning one. It was the loudest vehicle I have ever driven in.
Anyways, back to the size difference. The Chevy bolt is much smaller looking for the exterior, however the interior feels more spacious than the crv. My knee always hit the center console in the crv, while the bolt I had plenty of space. My 2 car seats in the back fit both the bolt and the crv about the same. The bolt has a little more headroom than the crv. I was very surprised and impressed with the space the bolt provided. After owning both vehicles. I can say that the bolt is a much better overall ride and more comfortable that the crv, if you are ok with Ev over gas.
The only way you will be able to compare is getting in both vehicles. Exterior looks are deceiving g in the case of these 2 vehicles.

Ps I own a 2018 Chevy bolt and sold my 2018 Honda CR-V. Couldn’t be happier!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts