GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all.

I am new here- just got my Volt 5 days ago. More than 100 miles and not a drop of gas yet- I love these Wheels!

If, like me, you live in Southeastern PA and are a PECO Energy customer, you can get $50 from PECO simply for telling them you have an EV

You need to enter your PECO customer account number to qualify.

Pass the word!

Mark

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Peco says:
With PECO Smart Driver Rebates we offer rebates and incentives for resdential and business customers investing in new electric vehicle technology.

Specifically, we will pay residential customers $50 per car just for letting us know you have purchased an electric vehicle.
This is the same part of their web efforts where they offer the "Smart AC Saver" program, discounted light bulbs and other "Smart Ideas". I am in the Smart AC Saver program and there was no "bite"- just savings. So I am not too concerned.

Our electric rates are determined by use (I have an all-electric house- with an "RH" heating designation). I actually by power cheaper than PECO rates via a company called Liberty Energy. While PECO still handles the infrastucture and billing, they don't set my rates.

Generally, the history with PECO has been the more electricity you use, the cheaper the rate. So I am not worried they are going to try an take advantage. I think they are simply trying to get a handle on how many EVs there are in the area, and how the usage changes with EV ownership.

But $50 is not that big a deal, so if it's makes you paranoid, by all means skip it.

Mark

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
>> Generally, the history with PECO has been the more electricity you use,

Peco customer here. In the summer months, the more you use, the more you pay. Example is my bill from August 2011. Generation Charge goes up after 500kWh by 1.3 cents. This was my biggest month with the in-laws RV parked outside and it draws a good amount of AC and they have tvs and computers on most of the day. In winter the rate I pay is flat no matter how much I use. Maybe businesses have a "use more, save more" plan available?

Generation Charges 500 kWh X $0.09550 47.75
Generation Charges 2,469 kWh X 0.10820 267.15

PECO is not really a good rate for EVs. Summer rates total over 17.5 cents/kWh now. In my other location of Niagara Falls, it's roughly .10/kWh. We know TOU rates in California and other states are well under $.10. PECO apparently do have to provide a "voluntary TOU rate" once the smart meters roll out. The consumer advocate for PA power customers mentioned that to me in an email last week. Nobody at PECO customer service knows anything about the Smart Meters nor rates possibly available "some day". They're not really doing well with this smart meter program - it's somewhat intended to be the switch they throw to deactivate your A.C. to conform to Act 129 of the PA Power commission.

We had a thread on this recently too:
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...ustomers-50-for-registering-your-EV-with-them

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PECO

Sorry for the dup post- I looked around and did not see the PECO thing mentioned elsewhere. (So far, the forum seems a little scattered- maybe I just don't know the patterns yet).

As I mentioned my rates are via Liberty Power and since I have a home office, they gave me a business rate lower than the PECO RH rate I was paying (which was PECO's lowest- Liberty was the only provider I found to make it worthwhile to switch). I will have to try and find the rate and post it.

The AC Saver thing is a remote switch they throw to cycle the AC compressor on/off. We had one really bad day last year where it was over 100 degrees (peak) and high humidity where we noticed that the AC was lame. The rest of the summer was fine- we save $120 ($30 per month/4 months).

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Congrats on our car and welcome to the forum. Just by way of introduction, we are NOT "a little scattered". A lot scattered maybe, but definitely not a little scattered! LOL

In any event, no problems Mark, it's always interesting to see what various utilities are doing. We have a similar program for cutting the AC in summer. I've thought about it but just haven't wanted to bother with yet another wireless gadget. But the savings seem considerable when you consider the utility hasn't used the turn-off option for the last several years. However this year may be different because our nuclear reactor is down and it provides a substantial amount of power. Will be interesting to see how we cope.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry, no, that would not have been me. Are you in SE PA? What do you drive?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And thanks for the Welcome DonC!

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Sorry, no, that would not have been me. Are you in SE PA? What do you drive?
Yes. I also have a Cyber Gray. I live in Berwyn, work in Wayne, and play hockey at various SE PA rinks! :)

There definitely was a brand new Cyber Gray near Minellas Diner (in Wayne) last week...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
More on the PECO rates- I mentioned paying less for using more because my (former) RH (residential heat) rate is PECO's lowest- because we use more electricity than most residences without electric heat (although we also burn 2 cords of oak in the woodstove to supplement the heat pump).

RH is gone now, but if you look at the rates here, you will see that the rates drop each time after the first two 150 hour increments, and then after 300 hours, their lowest. That is what I was referring to.

PECO's current rate to compare is 10.06 cents per kWh.

My current Liberty Power rate is 9.548 cents per kWh.

Looks like the best rate going at the moment for PECO customers is Commerce Energy's 7.59 cents per kWh.

Shop PECO comparison rates here and save some dough when charging your Volt!

Mark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts