GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Vollt Premier Mosaic Black Metallic
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving in a shopping center parking lot the alert never came on to let pedestrians know I was approaching. Is the alert shut off or do I have a fuse or sensor problem?

·
Registered
392 Posts
There is no actual pedestrain alert. There is basically a noise generator below a certain speed, I want to say 12 MPH I am not sure the exact speed. Start up your 2018 Volt, have the radio and climate controls off, roll down the driver window, put the car in reverse, you should notice the noise. When I first heard it on my 2018, I thought there was something wrong with the car, its kind of a low pitch grumbling noise. At first it sounded like a bearing going out, but once I realized what it was, it never bothered me again.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Alert sound is only active when driving less than 20mph. Going over 20mph will disable the pedestrian alert sound. Though, even with the sound going on, some people still dont hear me when its loud outside. Would be nice to be able to turn on our engine at will incase people cant hear us.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
I wonder how many accidents have occurred in parking lots between pedestrians and cars because of the quietness of the cars, not near-misses. Hopefully, not many. I haven't heard the pedestrian warning sound produced by the Gen2's, however, I do like the muted (strangled) horn toot, toot that the Gen1's produce.

·
Registered
2018 Volt LT
116 Posts
Mine would make noise anytime the car was in gear, but I'm guessing it turned off when up to a certain speed. I didn't like the noise though, so I pulled the fuse in the trunk. To me it sounded like I had a wheel bearing going out, or maybe I was dragging something under the car.

·
Registered
2015 Volt Premier (Leather interior, w/standard radio package).
18 Posts
Of course, you could always make your own courtesy horn:

·
Registered
263 Posts
If pedestrians would actually use their eyes instead of only their ears, we'd also have a lot less issues. Too many just step onto the road like zombies ... Darwin in action.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts