GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Chevrolet cobalt Compact car I am in the process of closing a deal, possibly this afternoon, on a 2013 Summit White with Jet Black/Ceramic White premium trim, plus Bose and Rear Camera. The other color option that I like is Crystal Red with Pebble.

Here's the dilemma
It's quite hot in Charlotte during the summer, and I really wanted a light colored interior. The only light colored option is the Pebble. Unfortunately, Pebble has those darned suede inserts on the doors (and seats). I'm not super worried about the seats, however, I can't bring myself to order it because the suede is around the door release lever. It's right against where arms/hands will brush up against it, especially when opening the door. I presume the door insert is going to get oily, dirty, and worn pretty quickly. I've read of people replacing suede on other cars within 3 yrs, and not even with light colors.

I've seen photos of a few forum members with the 2013 suede option.

Does anyone have experience with the light colored suede door inserts that can share a thought?

thanks!

Lee

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
No history with peeble but I've had a light gray cloth interior along with young kids before and I sprayed fabric protection (scotch quard) twice a year with no issues.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have a black interior with leather seats in my Solstice, no way am I going to get black leather in another car, even with the top up all the time! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I went with a black interior, I would probably use the 3M Crystalline window tint. It is $400 installed for 70% on the side/rear windows, plus $175 for windshield 90%. I don't have any experience with tinted windows, but it is very close to clear in color. It is supposed to be effective at reducing the heat buildup in the cabin. The Penske racing team is now using their 90% on NASCAR windshields to reduce the cabin heat.

Any suede door panel experience? Will it get dirty and worn? Is it real suede or Alcantara (faux suede)

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I have the Pebble Beige leather on my Summit White 2013, but haven't had it long enough to notice anything with which to be concerned (tomorrow will be one month).

Having said that, I have a question about cleaning this suede. What suede cleaners (if any) do any of you recommend? How dos one clean suede. The last time I cleaned suede was when I was a little kid with suede loafers (I'm dating myself!). :-(

·
Registered
204 Posts
Not sure but I think the "suede" is synthetic ,microfiber or something. And hope it is as far as cleaing is concerned. Volt Advisor,can you clear this up for us ?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Not sure but I think the "suede" is synthetic ,microfiber or something. And hope it is as far as cleaing is concerned. Volt Advisor,can you clear this up for us ?
But the option in the sales window sticker says "leather", unless they are talking about the outside edges of the seats, which are indeed, leather.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I sat in one on Monday, and it really felt like bona fide suede leather on both the door panels and center panel of the seating surfaces. Where the edges are rolled over around the perimeter of the door inserts, the material looked like it was thick, like real suede leather.

In other GM cars, such as the Caddy CTS, when they use fake suede, it seems to be stated like this "Perforated and sueded microfiber seat inserts...."

The Chevy Volt states this:
"Pebble Beige leather-appointed seats with suede inserts"

Cleaning - the auto upholstery place I use for leather seats recommended cleaning suede with Woolite foam. Don't let it get saturated, and blot it to remove the dirt, and blot with a clean cloth to get it somewhat dry.

I'm still in color choice hell - White with the leather - Jet Black/Ceramic White trim (wife and 18 yr old love this) vs Crystal Red with Pebble.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, it's a nice problem, but kind of tough for me. It gets really hot in the summer here in Charlotte, and I absolutely hate being hot. The Volt is going to replace my 2011 Sorento, which is black cherry with dark gray cloth interior. It gets hot, but the fabric at least doesn't burn me like it did on my old Z or Mini Cooper S with black leather. I see the comments on the forum with folks reporting that their Volts are really hot cars sitting in the driveway with the sun beating down.

So, the choice is light exterior with dark interior or $500 more for dark exterior with light interior....crap...I hate deciding.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had my 2013 Volt for 2 weeks. I've got a dark blue exterior with the pebble interior and I really like it; in fact I like the suede on the doors better than the plastic that I saw in other configurations. I have not found that I touch the suede on the doors so much though so I am not as concerned with it as the suede on the seats. I did have a passenger that had sat in something, maybe gum or something else and I was able to remove it easily with just some water.

That being said, I had the same question as to whether this was real suede or faux suede. Nobody has been able to answer this question. Not the dealer nor the Volt Advisor team. Would GM use real suede in the Volt? I don't know. The sticker does say leather and suede and does not reference faux suede or any brand of faux suede on any documentation that I can find.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have a 2012 black on black. I'm in Atlanta where we had a hot summer. Interior never got that hot. I think it is because of the low roofline on the doors. The black leather perforated seats did a great job at staying cool.

I like the plastic door inserts, mine are silver and are easy to clean and look nice. Suede seems like it would be trouble with the kids to keep clean.

·
Registered
372 Posts
We've got a pebble beige cloth interior on order. If it's as easy to clean as our light colored Prius cloth interior (cleans up w/Fantastik spray & a clean white cloth), it'll be a piece of cake to keep clean :D

I've never cared for leather interiors here in the Southwest. We have tan leather in our 2001 Miata and I use a mesh insert for it in the warm months.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the pebble interior (leather and suede). I can't be 100% sure but it does seem like "real" suede inserts to me--if they are ultrasuede or some other nonnatural material, it's a pretty incredible facsimile of the real thing. I have had mine for 4 months now and this is my daily driver (and I have a dog)--the leather gets dirty, sure, but cleans up as well as any other leather interior (which is to say much better than cloth). I use armor all and get it detailed every so often at the local car wash. Seems reasonably high quality to me and I really like having a lighter interior--makes the car cooler temperature wise and it just feels brighter inside.

·
877 Posts
Light interiors are always tough to take care of. Remember if you auto start the car it will be fine once you enter. I live in Miami and will only get black leather so I dont have to worry about the damage light color interiors will always have.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts