GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On more than 2 occasions over 10 months I have returned to my Gen 2 and found it unlocked.
I have passive locking enabled. I've enabled the horn chirp so I don't have to watch for the lock/lights but that is
annoying.

Any idea what is going on?

TIA

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
On more than 2 occasions over 10 months I have returned to my Gen 2 and found it unlocked.
I have passive locking enabled. I've enabled the horn chirp so I don't have to watch for the lock/lights but that is
annoying.

TIA
At home? Work? Out and about?
Same location both times?
Is there another key fob in the car when this occurs?

Try this sub-forum: http://gm-volt.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?545-Problems-Issues-Driver-Warnings-or-DTCs-Gen2-Volt

·
Administrator
19,984 Posts
An unintentional keyfob button press?

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
annoying.

TIA
Okay, Gen1 since I don't have Gen2 manual handy right now, but might be close enough:

Passive locking is when it locks the doors for you when you take the car out of park. Delayed locking is when it locks the doors for you five seconds after you close all the doors without a keyfob inside. So make sure you're looking at the right thing. Also, the anti-lockout that automatically UNLOCKS the driver door when the door is closed while a keyfob is inside disables the delayed locking, and that might not be obvious, if you set that feature after turning on the delayed locking. Further (and I havn't seen this in my manual but it seems how it works) if you use the remote to unlock the doors, that also turns off the delayed lock until you either start the car or until you push the lock button on the remote. Once you unlock with the remote, you can open and close doors all day long and it won't lock them just because you walked away. That's not the case with the passive (door handle button) unlock. The delay lock will kick in as soon as any door is opened and all doors are then closed and there's no keyfob in the car.

Edit to Add: It's confusing because "passive lock" and "auto unlock" are paired with the drive selector and "passive unlock" and "delayed locking" are related to the presence of the keyfob. Which is kind of dumb, but I'm sure has to do with historical feature naming and thus is gonna be very resistant to changing.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In that case I should have said "delayed locking". ie The car should lock when I walk away. No fob inside. 99.9% sure no accidental pocket press. When I return I find the driver's door unlocked (forgot to check other doors) Happens when parking away from home.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
In that case I should have said "delayed locking". ie The car should lock when I walk away. No fob inside. 99.9% sure no accidental pocket press. When I return I find the driver's door unlocked (forgot to check other doors) Happens when parking away from home.
That sounds like an accidental KeyFob press. And the thing is you will not know it. There is know way to know if you did or didn't accidentally press it. So put your KeyFob in a TicTac container and see if it happens again. If it happens with it well protected the you can rule out the accident.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
How would you know? Is someone with you that is entering the car when the fob is not in proximity or before the driver door is open?

When I come back to the car and open the door, I expect it to be unlocked automatically due to fob proximity.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sorry about your problem. I use that feature 100% of the time (love it) but have never had a problem with it.
I know you said you're pretty sure the fob button didn't get pressed but that would be my only theory other than someone going into your OnStar without you knowing. Do you have any keys on a ring attached to your fob? They may get folded over and lay on your button and a little bump or pressure from your pants could do it. I don't have anything on my fob and I make sure it's the only thing in my pocket at any given time. One thing to consider; on those two occasions when you found your car unlocked do you think during the time you were away, were you in close enough proximity of your car so the remote could have done the unlocking? Or were you too far away for that to happen?

·
Registered
70 Posts
That sounds like an accidental KeyFob press. And the thing is you will not know it. There is know way to know if you did or didn't accidentally press it. So put your KeyFob in a TicTac container and see if it happens again. If it happens with it well protected the you can rule out the accident.
This happens in my 2012 as well. Sometimes it just doesn't lock itself - a few times per month.
I also turned on the horn chirp, and always listen for it. The other day I went into a store, and 100% heard the chirp. When I came back out, I found it had not locked the doors. This was especially disturbing, because obviously the car intended to lock - it chirped the horn... but the doors did not lock!! At my next stop, the doors locked fine.
Sometimes, the delayed locking just does not work. I do not trust it anymore. I find myself standing nearby so I can visually verify that it actually locked... what's the point of the feature, if you can't rely on it?
Note: I have no keys or rings attached to my keyfob whatsoever. Its just the bare fob, and it goes into my shorts leg pocket, with no other items.
At one point 2 years ago, it got so bad about not locking the doors that the dealer reproduced it, and performed some fix. It was fine for over a year, but it's back to occasionally not locking again.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Okay, Gen1 since I don't have Gen2 manual handy right now, but might be close enough:

Passive locking is when it locks the doors for you when you take the car out of park. Delayed locking is when it locks the doors for you five seconds after you close all the doors without a keyfob inside. So make sure you're looking at the right thing. Also, the anti-lockout that automatically UNLOCKS the driver door when the door is closed while a keyfob is inside disables the delayed locking, and that might not be obvious, if you set that feature after turning on the delayed locking. Further (and I havn't seen this in my manual but it seems how it works) if you use the remote to unlock the doors, that also turns off the delayed lock until you either start the car or until you push the lock button on the remote. Once you unlock with the remote, you can open and close doors all day long and it won't lock them just because you walked away. That's not the case with the passive (door handle button) unlock. The delay lock will kick in as soon as any door is opened and all doors are then closed and there's no keyfob in the car.

Edit to Add: It's confusing because "passive lock" and "auto unlock" are paired with the drive selector and "passive unlock" and "delayed locking" are related to the presence of the keyfob. Which is kind of dumb, but I'm sure has to do with historical feature naming and thus is gonna be very resistant to changing.
On the 2013, passive lock/unlock refers to the remote proximity and has nothing to do with locking the doors when you put the car in drive. I suspect that the 2012 is the same thing.

So, enabling passive lock with horn chirp should cause the car to lock when all doors and hatch are closed after a short period of time and will do a multi-beep if a fob is left in the car but will still eventually lock. Passive unlock means when you approach the car with the fob, you can unlock using any of the door buttons.

The delayed lock is simply a delay when you hit the lock button on the fob or press the lock button on the door. It delays locking by about 5 seconds to allow you back into the car because you forgot something or people are still exiting the car after you are out and hit the lock button.

If your passive lock is enabled with chirp or silent, the car should lock when you close it up and walk away. If that is set and it does not lock then something is interfering with the process such as stray signals or the car has an issue.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for this thread. I locked my doors with my remote fob as suggested, and passive door lock started working again like it's supposed to.

So to summarize, passive door lock failing can be caused by unlocking the doors with the remote fob and then failing to lock them again with the remote fob, or it can be caused by the center stack unlock button being stuck down.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I had that problem a few times with my Bolt. It would also reset all the user settings back to default. Would happen every few months. GM did an update to the software and it has not done it again. Definitely some bugs in the software.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts