GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any electrically savy people here?

I'm having an intermittent issue with my 2013 Volt, SOMETIMES when someone sits on the passenger seat, after the passenger airbag has cycled to ON due to the sensor, an error comes up on my dash that says SERVICE AIRBAG.

Sometimes this error is temporary, goes away after car is restarted. Sometimes it triggers a permanent error with the red airbag light on.

I took to the dealer and they couldnt replicate it, of course... and they claim the error is most likely because I had a book or something heavy on the seat, which I didnt.

I'm fed up with the issue and just want to find a way to bypass the passenger presence sensor somehow, is there a transistor of some sort that I can add to the sensor plug, to trick the system into thinking noone ever seats in the seat?

If not, then any suggestions on whats causing my issue?

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Any electrically savy people here?

I'm having an intermittent issue with my 2013 Volt, SOMETIMES when someone sits on the passenger seat, after the passenger airbag has cycled to ON due to the sensor, an error comes up on my dash that says SERVICE AIRBAG.

Sometimes this error is temporary, goes away after car is restarted. Sometimes it triggers a permanent error with the red airbag light on.

I took to the dealer and they couldnt replicate it, of course... and they claim the error is most likely because I had a book or something heavy on the seat, which I didnt.

I'm fed up with the issue and just want to find a way to bypass the passenger presence sensor somehow, is there a transistor of some sort that I can add to the sensor plug, to trick the system into thinking noone ever seats in the seat?

If not, then any suggestions on whats causing my issue?
If you are setting anything electronic on the seat, a tablet or even a phone it will often trigger an issue.
The passenger presence sensor uses a capacitive field and electrical/magnetic interference can create the conditions you describe.

Another known condition is if the airbag warning light comes on when the passenger seat is moved rearward. There is a connector on the floor just below the seat that can be strained by this movement. The older bulletin stated to disconnect the connector and reroute the harness under the seat, creating a bit more slack.

But if you're not placing anything on the passenger seat, or it fails to show the correct status or creates warnings when someone sits in the seat (buckled up) then you should have it looked at by a dealership.

Of course it really isn't safe to defeat or tamper with the airbag system's operation.

Welcome to gm-volt.com
WopOnTour

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats the problem, its caused SOMETIMES when someone (a person) sits on the passenger seat, after the passenger airbag has cycled to ON due to the sensor, an error comes up on my dash that says SERVICE AIRBAG.

Dealer doesnt seem to replicate the issue, so they cant fix it

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Thats the problem, its caused SOMETIMES when someone (a person) sits on the passenger seat, after the passenger airbag has cycled to ON due to the sensor, an error comes up on my dash that says SERVICE AIRBAG.

Dealer doesnt seem to replicate the issue, so they cant fix it
Well if you are getting a service airbag message, then there would be a DTC stored in memory. If you check your copy of the repair order, the dealer would have usually recorded the DTC in the documentation.
If you can provide that it might help to isolate the possible causes.

WOT

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll get that from them but on the phone they made it sound like it could have been "interference" with the passenger sensor. My issue is that it happens fairly consistently now

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
I had the exact same symptoms and it started 72 miles before my bumper to bumper warranty ran out. That day I needed to take a 300+ mile trip to the airport and back. Luckily by dealership believed me on the 72 mile story and performed an $800+ part swap for $100 as goodwill towards the problem. It also helped that they were slammed when I called to make an appointment and couldn't see me for about 2 weeks - some medical emergency for one technician and another one had a fiull engine overhaul. I'll bet the part swap isn't very hard, but I get squeamish about touching any of the wires to the airbags, I'd hate to accidentally deploy with fiddling with the wiring.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Do you have the details of what part and what work was completed?
I'll look it up tomorrow morning. Can't do it right now as the wife is asleep and I'd wake her if I went to my office.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
The description was a passenger pressance module, #22968438 Module KI 14.865 N

i'm pretty sure that prescence was misspelled by the service manager

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks so much for the info! That's exactly what was wrong on mine as well, they are replacing the Passenger Presence pad in the passenger front seat.

Same part number. Not sure what the final cost will be but I'm imagining in the $1000 range too

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Total = $1,003 out the door
Keep your receipt in case this becomes a recall item where you might be able to get you money back. My car was only 2.5 years old when this sensor failed. An my daughter who pretty much was the exclusive passenger was under 100 pounds.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Good to know! I hope it becomes a recall cause this is pretty ridiculous spend for a damn sensor.
The sensor costs about $250, the rest went to labor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts