GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2017 premier 2 weeks ago. I just noticed that on the drivers door panel to the dash, when the door is closed of course, it lines up perfectly, all the seams and lines. On the passenger side, there is almost a 1/4 inch between the height of the door panel and the dash where they meet. Also on the drivers side there is almost no gap in the vertical where they meet but on the passenger side its over an 8th of an inch. I went to my dealer and he told me this is a characteristic of the car. We checked 2 other volts and none were perfect , some better some worse. This is not a cheap car and this should not happen in 2016. Any ideas as to what GM can do? Maybe their supplier screwed up in the molding process. I looked at all other cars in the showroom ( not Volts) and they all lined up properly. Dealer told me there is nothing he can do.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Can you take some pictures of your interior pieces that don't line up?

This is very important stuff. How can GM expect America and the world to see it's brands as "The New GM" if they are still struggling
to get it right in the quality control area?

I noticed a ragged plastic edge on the dashboard plastic when you open the drivers door on a pre-production show car that was
making it's rounds on the auto show circuit. This was a Volt that was meant to show the world what to expect in showrooms!
I mentioned it to some GM people - but it seems to have fallen on deaf ears. Upon looking around enough online, I found
photos from auto show attendees of all angles of the Volt's new interior. Sure enough, I found flash photos of that same
rough edge you can only see up close when the driver or passenger door up front is opened. This is the small stuff -
the details that Japanese car companies get right ( most of the time ). These oopsies of quality cannot get past the
people who are supposed to inspect product for quality.

Don't point this out to your dealer. He/she is there to sell product. Call your Volt Advisor and tell them your story.
Email them photos - ones of your car and those you looked at on the dealer lot.

We all want the Volt to succeed in the marketplace. GM won't gain market share unless they pay attention to the small stuff.

·
Registered
678 Posts
In 2014 I visited a local Chevrolet dealer to look at Volts. My purpose was to spot any changes on the new models I could
notice. What I noticed most of all was on the light silver metallic ( Silver Topaz Metallic ) Volts on the lot, the bumper caps
did not match the body paint!

I liked the new color, but commented to some sales staff how the bumpers seemed darker than the steel body panels. They
each said they noticed it too. I then started looking through forums and found this was indeed a problem for light metallic
Volts. I returned to another dealer later in the year and saw a Silver Topaz Metallic Volt and the bumpers seemed to
match the bodywork perfectly. Does this mean GM was paying attention? Or does this mean there was some bad batches
that made it out the door of the factory unnoticed?

GM, I pose this question to you. Quality should be job #1. Door panels should not make it out the door on a retail
car misaligned. This is a personnel issue - a quality issue. The whole line should come to a halt until that flaw
is tracked down and fixed on the spot. Laziness, apathy, and getting that unit out the door and into the store results
in lapses that hurt the company. I don't want a car in my garage with gaps that don't match, paint of some components
that don't match - and little glitches that get on my nerves.

These things drive customers away, and they make current people who bought your product look to another company
the next time around.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agreed. I e mailed GM customer care, I will take pictures and send them to them. The dealers response is so typical. " is a characteristic of the car" What a load of crap. I'm coming out of an 2008 cts which was a great car, well put together. The volt drives fine but these issues should not exist in 2016. I'm staying on them until they come up with a fix, the fix will be new door panels on the passenger side.

·
Administrator
19,980 Posts
I had this issue on my 2011. The dealer adjusted the dash. But the called GM to find out how. It's been good ever since.

P.S. You posted in the Gen 1 forum. Moved to Gen 2 forum.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
My 2016 is perfect all over. Why not ask your dealer to have his body shop guy take a look and see what can be done.

·
Administrator
19,980 Posts
Another example of why you should slowly and carefully inspect your car BEFORE taking delivery. As careful as I was, I still missed the alignment issue, but it got fixed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I knew I was in trouble as soon as I went to service, first a girl came out to look and said its fine, then the service manager tells me its a characteristic of the car. Says there are no adjustments, crappy service, that's for sure. The sales guys beg you to give them 5 stars on the GM survey and then on my first visit I get this. I'll let GM figure this out and tell the dealer what to do. If you can, could you take a pic of your from the inside , doors closed so I can show these morons that it should line up. I told him, look at the cruze , its fine. His answer was, " thats a different car, you can't compare them"

·
Registered
62 Posts
This post made me look and I have the same passenger side height gap. My passenger side vent is also not as flush as the drivers side.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I can't understand how people can get so upset about an 1/8". It's a large part, and an automated assembly, 1/8" is a pretty decent tolerance... I guess I just don't spend enough time examining my cars to care that much.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
THis is a defect in the assembly process that no one seemed to catch. The quality control should be better, just because they are all like that more or less doesn't make it right. I think the dash needs to come down at that corner to line everything up. I'll see how far I get with them. Every other car ( non volt) I looked at was fine so why should the volt not be as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Took your advise. Spoke to Volt advisor and sent him the pictures. Says he will look into this and get back to me with solution.

·
Administrator
19,980 Posts
I can't understand how people can get so upset about an 1/8". It's a large part, and an automated assembly, 1/8" is a pretty decent tolerance... I guess I just don't spend enough time examining my cars to care that much.
The OP said 1/4" not 1/8". Two horizontal lines that are 1/4" off where they meet is very noticeable to the eye, especially when only an arm's length away. And this seems to be primarily a right door panel issue rather than driver's side. If the panel is consistently off on most of the cars it's a manufacturing/design defect. Redesign so it's consistently on target. Fit and finish is important, even on an inexpensive car (which the Volt is not).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Took your advise. Spoke to Volt advisor and sent him the pictures. Says he will look into this and get back to me with solution.
Please update us on what the resolution is. I also have the same alignment / step issue between dash and door panel as well as the rear EVSE charger storage door not fitting. I'd like to bring it to the dealer all at one to get issues addressed vs going multiple times. Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also took delivery of a new 2017 Volt two weeks ago and have noticed the same misalignment just on the passenger side. I thought too that it must be a manufacturing error, but the more I studied it the more I concluded that it might just be a part of the interior design, although a very poor design in my opinion.....it should line up evenly as it does on the driver's side. All the other seams and moldings seem to line up properly on the car. I will be curious to find out what you learn in your further inquiries about this matter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can't see how this is part of the interior design. Because of this the glove compartment is also slightly off. It has to be a defect. I spoke to my volt advisor and he said there were no other complaints so he was looking into it with engineering, could be a while until I hear something. From the posts here, sure looks like its a factory defect to most cars. Will let you know if I get any news. This should not happen in 2016 at this price level.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Volt advisor helped me out after sending pictures. Hamtrack plant told him they noticed an issue on the passenger door alignment and fixed it on the line. I will be taking my car in for the door to be adjusted which will fix the dash issue where the door panel meets the dash.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts