GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Because that car emits twice the pollution as a low emission vehicle, it has to take both parking spaces to comply. Makes perfect sense to me.

·
Registered
253 Posts
You have his (almost undoubtedly) or her (MUCH less likely) license plate number and photographic evidence.

Citizen's Arrest !

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Too bad they don't give tickets. Maybe if a Suburan parked across the back of him.

·
Registered
172 Posts
A friend of mine recently came across a similar site at one of our Whole Foods. He decided to park his i3 perpendicularly behind the two non-electric vehicles taking the two spots and went inside to shop. When he came back out one of the offenders was there and was distraught at his actions. She claimed she "didn't see the sign". The employees told him he would be towed next time, not her.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
This is a touchy issue, unless it's on private property where the owner can stipulate the rules or the local community enacts laws protecting these parking spaces, there isn't much you can do about it. And to be honest in this day and age I'm not confronting anyone over a parking space.

Be thankful you own a Volt, imagine what your life would have been like had you owned a BEV and were running on "fumes"?

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Where I work, people ice the EV charging spaces every day. Each space has a sign, wording painted on the ground, and it is painted a different color. I get campus security after them and the same car will be back the next day. People do not give a flip.

Unless towing or a fine is involved, they never will care. That is just a fact, and one of many reasons I love having a gas tank as an option.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Too bad letting the air out of the tires is illegal and so is keying the paint job. Seeing that this car not only used up a low emissions spot but took up both spots, flats all around would be a good solution?!?! LOL

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yeah, the put "low emission" spots in buildings to get LEED certification. There are a bunch of buildings around here with them. I have NEVER seem them enforced. The whole thing is a bit of a joke.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
It is far more difficult that it might seem to craft the language of a law that would limit parking next to electric recharging stations, and even more difficult to prevent plug-in electric vehicles from parking there when not in the process of recharging.

Oregon attempted to create such parking spots by passing a law, effective 1 January 2016, that would punish by a maximum fine of $250 those who park in spots designated for alternative fuel vehicles only and are not engaged in the fueling process.

The legislature was building on a definition of "alternative fuel vehicles" already written into Oregon law: motor vehicles that are "...manufactured or modified to use an alternative fuel, including but not limited to electricity, natural gas, ethanol, methanol, propane and any other fuel approved in rules adopted by the Director of the State Department of Energy that produces less exhaust emissions than vehicles fueled by gasoline or diesel."

No legal language appears to have been created that attempted to define "engaged in the fueling process."

Unfortunately, the text of Oregon House Bill 2625 that created the law is very brief, and does not specify how such parking spots should be identified, implying that any markings must include the words, Alternative Fuel Vehicle, and thus an Electric Vehicle Parking Only sign is insufficient. I also suspect that no alternative fuel vehicles other than electric cars would ever find a designated parking space where equipment for refueling while parked is available.

The parking garage next to the Kaiser Westside Medical Center in Hillsboro, Oregon, reserves 4 "Electric Vehicle Only" and 6 "Low Emission Parking" slots near the main entrance. L2 recharging cables are supplied; not so other types of alternative fuels. The labeling of these 10 spots most likely prevents them from being regulated by the terms of the new Oregon law.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Why am I not surprised it was a Lexus. Good ol' CA "drivers". lol

When I was still driving a '69 VW bug, I used to troll people like that. They park like that so that nobody will get near or ding their precious re-badged Toyota, or whatever they're driving, so I'd shoe-horn my bug in next to them, even if it meant climbing out one the windows(I had one piece windows, wasn't difficult to do). I don't really care if people do that, but it's fun to mess with them once in a while. The looks on their faces as they return to their car to see a bug jammed in tightly next to them is always priceless. :D

·
Registered
902 Posts
I bought a used Volt with a keyed roof. I am guessing that the previous owner attempted to plug-into an electric outlet where he was unwelcome, since the Volt also was also sold to me without a charging cord. Probably stolen or vandalized. Life is difficult when you are a progressive leader.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
A long time ago when I worked on a physical medicine and rehab unit at a hospital (think spinal cord injuries, etc.), a paraplegic patient had some bright orange stickers with very tenacious glue on the backing that said something like "Thanks for parking in a handicapped spot. You jerk!" Just sayin...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah, the put "low emission" spots in buildings to get LEED certification. There are a bunch of buildings around here with them. I have NEVER seem them enforced. The whole thing is a bit of a joke.
I think we should just carve "low emissions vehicle * 2" into the back of the car. There ya go; they're your spots now.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I saw a video on Youtube where some Russians started stickering a woman's car who drove illegally thru a park using the pedestrian walkway. Apparently it was common enough that they were prepared to sticker someone. And, I mean they stickered her whole car! Said something like the sticker above. She lost her mind.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts