GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've started to notice that every time I come to a stop my Parking Sensor Alert Sound gets triggered.
In other words, it starts beeping as if I've come close to some object in front of me. Mind you, this is not the Driving Distance Alert (the one where it alerts the driver if you're approaching a car in front of you too fast).

Has anyone else run into this issue? It's really annoying and I don't want to just shut off the Parking Sensors.
The dealer is telling me that they are unable to reproduce the issue which I find extremely hard to believe as I am able to reproduce it 95% of the time.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I've started to notice that every time I come to a stop my Parking Sensor Alert Sound gets triggered.
Either a sensor is failing or damaged, or there's a wire off the sensor making an intermittent short. Or possibly, covered by dirt or some other material.
Look closely, see if there's clearbra material, wax, dirt, or something covering the edge of one of the sensors.

If you can reproduce it pretty much at will, take it to dealership, have the service writer/service manager/mechanic get in the car and show it to them. Then they can't say "I dunno, can't reproduce".

·
Registered
70 Posts
this happened to me a few times when I come to a stop and it does not happen consistently, so I can't reproduce the issue. My guess is that when you come to a stop and let your feet off the brake pedal for a second, the parking sensors comes on.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
In other words, it starts beeping as if I've come close to some object in front of me. Mind you, this is not the Driving Distance Alert (the one where it alerts the driver if you're approaching a car in front of you too fast).

Has anyone else run into this issue? It's really annoying and I don't want to just shut off the Parking Sensors.
The dealer is telling me that they are unable to reproduce the issue which I find extremely hard to believe as I am able to reproduce it 95% of the time.
So do the beeps appear to come from the front or the rear or the left or the right?
Also, how many beeps do you hear?...Three?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I"m experiencing this exact same issue on my MY16. It seems to happen more in the morning whenever coming to a stop at a redlight or stop sign. The screen indicated the active front sensors like when you're parking and the beeps go off. Just thinking today about how I'm going to need to take it in but as it doesn't ALWAYS happen I loathe the chance that they won't reproduce and I'll be wasting my time.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I"m experiencing this exact same issue on my MY16. It seems to happen more in the morning whenever coming to a stop at a redlight or stop sign.
This is pure speculation on my part, but is there any chance that you hit the brakes hard enough to cause the nose of the car to go down so far that the pavement came into the sensors' field of view?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Closer than 2 feet to the car in front or behind or on the side? That will trigger them

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you have a front licence plate, check that it is flat and flush with the holder at the edges. When I bought my MY 17 a couple of months ago, the car was doing this as I drove it off the lot. It had never done it on the test drives of the same car. It did it a dozen times on the way home, at every stop. I even tried pulling over and turning off the ignition and getting out of the car and starting over. When I got home, I examined the front of the car and noticed a gap between the front plate and the holder on both sides. I removed the plate and gave it a slight bow in the other direction so it sits tight and flush against the plastic holder. No problem since then.

My theory is that the edge of the plate was enough to reflect the sonar and create the false alert.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I"m experiencing this exact same issue on my MY16. It seems to happen more in the morning whenever coming to a stop at a redlight or stop sign.
This is pure speculation on my part, but is there any chance that you hit the brakes hard enough to cause the nose of the car to go down so far that the pavement came into the sensors' field of view?
Definitely not in my case. Two of the stop signs near my house are at the top of steep hills so the nose is pointing into open air.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Then I'd ask the tech to let you drive and you show them since it happens 95% of the time.

As stated by others, sometimes dirt or ice has caused these to malfunction to happen to some forum members so give the sensors a quick clean up and see if it improves. Good luck.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I took mine in for this issue. They said it was normal as the sensors are super sensitive. Every time I stop they beep. Really? First 3 months never had the issue. They cleaned the sensors really well and told me to let them know if it continues.

I took a picture and showed them. Nothing near the car lol

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did either of you get this issue resolved? What was the cause?
My issue happens intermittently, but oddly enough it happens at the same locations; all with no obstructions in front of me.
Checked my license plate holder as well and it's pretty damn flush with the vehicle.

I took it to the dealer and the first time they took it for a test drive, they weren't able to reproduce the issue.
Frustrated, I adamantly asked them please try again as it was happening to me almost at all stops.
Luckily when they came back from their test drive, the problem reared its ugly head when they came to a stop inside their very own dealership. They root caused it to a faulty passenger side front sensor.

They went ahead and ordered a replacement and will have to get it paint-matched at the local body shop in town.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got a 17 volt and was having the same problem. I took the chrome licence plate frame off and the parking senor hasn't come on when stopping since.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts