GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, it rained in the morning. My Volt, was parked outside, connected to the charger. It was slightly drizzling, I unplugged, tucked it away, and then when I turned it on, I saw the glowing red icon of parking brake with a wrench and the message that says Parking Brake needed service.

I did not set the Parking brake as my driveway is level. In fact I seldom use the parking brake. So it surprised me. Then I proceeded to drive. The road was slippery as it was the first rain in a very long time. I enter the main road and set to cruise control. And to my surprise it gave me a message of "Adaptive Cruise Temporarily Unavailable". Of course the Parking brake service icon is still on. I tried putting it in D or L, still no ACC for me.

Is the temporary unavailability an added safety feature because the road is slippery or due to the Parking Brake that need servicing? I can see that the ACC may not work well when the road is slippery because you could easily rear end the vehicle in front of you.

When I get back to my place of work, the road was dry already, still no ACC. I parked the car and proceed to work. When I got back to start the car, everything was normal again. No Parking Brake service message and the ACC worked like a charm. Of course the road was dry.

Any idea why these happened?

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I have had ACC give me that message when it was raining. I turned it off while I was getting gas (I was on a trip!), cleaned the windshield, and took off again with no ACC issues. I have no idea if the windshield cleaning 'fixed' the issue, but, I have read posts about a dirty windshield outside the rear-view mirror area can cause ACC to not engage.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Electric parking brake is always automatically applied when vehicle shifts out of park, and released when put into any directional mode (D/L/R) to prevent roll-back. Since the Volt relies on it's computers to manage /maintain the vehicle for you, it is VERY important to get any code/warning light looked at by a dealer asap. An issue with the parking brake can cause a short or other electrical problem that can cascade into other systems .

Ref : Another Thread with Parking Break Info

·
Registered
29 Posts
Electric parking brake is always automatically applied when vehicle shifts out of park, and released when put into any directional mode (D/L/R) to prevent roll-back. Since the Volt relies on it's computers to manage /maintain the vehicle for you, it is VERY important to get any code/warning light looked at by a dealer asap. An issue with the parking brake can cause a short or other electrical problem that can cascade into other systems .

Ref : Another Thread with Parking Break Info
This is false. When the parking brake's status changes (from applied to unapplied or vice-versa) there is an audible "screwing" sound. "Hill assist" to prevent rollback is done using the regular brakes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts