GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since yesterday the parking Sensors on my 2017 Volt have been "alerting" for no reason. They seem to work normally but I can be sitting behind a car at a stop sign or even while driving, the CENTER ICON will displays in the DIC followed by the usual BEEPS.

I have cycled the ON/OFF button a few times to no avail.

Is this something that randomly happens and will fix it self, or do I need to schedule a visit with my dealer.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
219 Posts
Since yesterday the parking Sensors on my 2017 Volt have been "alerting" for no reason. They seem to work normally but I can be sitting behind a car at a stop sign or even while driving, the CENTER ICON will displays in the DIC followed by the usual BEEPS.

I have cycled the ON/OFF button a few times to no avail.

Is this something that randomly happens and will fix it self, or do I need to schedule a visit with my dealer.

Thanks in advance
I'm sure you probably thought of this but I'll mention it just in case. The sensors are clean and free of debris, right?

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
It could be a loose battery terminal connection to the 12V battery or even a weak/failing 12V battery. That is something I would check first before getting the dealer involved.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found and fixed my problem. When i went out to double check the sensor's for debris and I noticed the front license plate had been pulled away from the car by about an inch on its left side (passenger side). I don't recall doing anything that could have snagged it so I removed it flattened it back out and reinstalled it. For a lark I took it for a test drive. BINGO no more False Positive alerts. Got home and mentioned it to my wife and she said she was moving some stuff around in the garage and "may have snagged her pants on the front of the car".

Who knew that those sensors could be tricked just by the front plate not being 100% flush against the bracket.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Found and fixed my problem. When i went out to double check the sensor's for debris and I noticed the front license plate had been pulled away from the car by about an inch on its left side (passenger side). I don't recall doing anything that could have snagged it so I removed it flattened it back out and reinstalled it. For a lark I took it for a test drive. BINGO no more False Positive alerts. Got home and mentioned it to my wife and she said she was moving some stuff around in the garage and "may have snagged her pants on the front of the car".

Who knew that those sensors could be tricked just by the front plate not being 100% flush against the bracket.
Thanks for posting what happened and glad it all worked out!

·
Administrator
20,588 Posts
Learned something new. Volts are sensitive to women in pants...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts