1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks for the tour.

So they call it a city car, but give it the worst tire and suspension combination possible for city use, right? :) I briefly considered the i3, but thought the looks were a bit too radical, and my commute is a little too long (95 miles per day) to be comfortable on those skinny tires...plus, I'd end up filling it's bitty tank every day.

The ELR, to me, is pretty much everything the i3 isn't.

--Chris

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
My wife so hated the looks and the interior of the i3 that it was never a serious contender. However, we did take it for a test drive. Just seemed horribly overpriced. For half or less we could have gotten a Spark EV, which was as fast and only slightly less comfortable. I will say that when I first saw pictures of the i3 I thought it was horrible, but in person thought it looked OK. Then again I thought the Aztek was OK. Apparently no accounting for taste.

Rather than comparing the i3 to the ELR, which is really in a different class altogether, I'd compare the i3 to the Volt. Doing that the Volt seems like a vastly better deal.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My wife so hated the looks and the interior of the i3 that it was never a serious contender. However, we did take it for a test drive. Just seemed horribly overpriced. For half or less we could have gotten a Spark EV, which was as fast and only slightly less comfortable. I will say that when I first saw pictures of the i3 I thought it was horrible, but in person thought it looked OK. Then again I thought the Aztek was OK. Apparently no accounting for taste.

Rather than comparing the i3 to the ELR, which is really in a different class altogether, I'd compare the i3 to the Volt. Doing that the Volt seems like a vastly better deal.
Hi Don:

I started with a Volt back in October of 2013. The ELR and the i3 are in the same price class, so it seems like a fair comparison. I have yet to drive a next gen Volt, but am looking forward to it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
MSRP of ELR is much higher than new i3.

I loved the i3 I drove, would have bought it except for cost. Will probably pick one up used for a song and dance when Tesla 3 comes out.

ELR is nice looking, but i3 is more my style. The i3 is definitely polarizing, the ELR is very classy.

The Volt was successful at getting me to considering future GMs as well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i3s are too expensive and are not selling quickly even with the huge discounts currently offered. The guys on the i3 forums report having all kinds of problems, whereas the biggest issue with Gen 1 Bolt seemed to be the charge port door not opening. They are having issues with the tires holding up under the beating of city pot holes as well as short tread life. I did the three day test drive and still liked it, but not enough to accept the problem that come along with it.

·
Registered
260 Posts
To me, in the looks department, the i3 belongs right next to the Pontiak Aztek as one of the worst butt ugly cars ever made. Yuck

·
Registered
145 Posts
To me, in the looks department, the i3 belongs right next to the Pontiak Aztek as one of the worst butt ugly cars ever made. Yuck
Aztek, Huh? what about the Pacer, Gremlin and <shudder> the Pinto Station Wagon (with the rear port hole windows)?? Compared to those the Aztek and the i3 aren't so bad.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts