GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
If only there was a vehicle technology that did not require the ICE to be running while the vehicle is parked.
Exactly. And if only someone like Mark Zuckerburg were fortunate enough to have access to such high-technology.

I often see people idling their SUVs during the entire time their kids are at soccer practice, often over 90 minutes. And sometimes with their windows open, so it is not necessarily to run the HVAC. I think they just haven't thought to turn the key.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Exactly. And if only someone like Mark Zuckerburg were fortunate enough to have access to such high-technology.

I often see people idling their SUVs during the entire time their kids are at soccer practice, often over 90 minutes. And sometimes with their windows open, so it is not necessarily to run the HVAC. I think they just haven't thought to turn the key.
It happens here, too. The bylaws are on the books, but there seems to be a reluctance to enforce them.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Start/Stop technology would go a long ways towards stopping this. The problem is that many people dislike this technology. I was happy to see my Volt do this.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Next step: add graceful ICE start/stop. When in slow traffic, the ICE sometimes needs to start to maintain battery buffer. When it does, it's a bit jarring, at least on my Volt. When driving 10+ mph, I can see the ICE revving on the DIC but can barely feel it. Only in sub 10 mph traffic do I feel the jolt of the ICE as it starts/stops.

·
Registered
348 Posts
What's even worse is that a lot of truck drivers will leave their engines running for extremely long times. Many times their trucks won't be turned off for several days. It's running during the day along the highways and then running at night for HVAC, electricity and to prevent the diesel from geling up (In the winter). It's sort of a necessary evil. But hopefully the Nikola trucks or future Tesla trucks become the standard very soon.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Start/Stop technology would go a long ways towards stopping this. The problem is that many people dislike this technology. I was happy to see my Volt do this.
The stop/start vehicles I have driven are designed to shut off the ICE for about 30 seconds at a traffic signal. At longer traffic signals the ICE will restart before you take your foot off the brake pedal because the 12V battery in these vehicles can only keep the lights, blower fan, instruments and other accessories running for a short time before the battery voltage drops too low. A plug-in hybrid such as the Volt has no problem running the accessories and even the AC for hours on the traction battery as long as the battery is charged.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
What's even worse is that a lot of truck drivers will leave their engines running for extremely long times. Many times their trucks won't be turned off for several days. It's running during the day along the highways and then running at night for HVAC, electricity and to prevent the diesel from geling up (In the winter). It's sort of a necessary evil. But hopefully the Nikola trucks or future Tesla trucks become the standard very soon.
Little by little, the truck stops are being electrified so the trucks can plug in, instead of idling. It's a start.
https://www.afdc.energy.gov/conserve/idle_reduction_electrification.html

·
Registered
348 Posts
The stop/start vehicles I have driven are designed to shut off the ICE for about 30 seconds at a traffic signal. At longer traffic signals the ICE will restart before you take your foot off the brake pedal because the 12V battery in these vehicles can only keep the lights, blower fan, instruments and other accessories running for a short time before the battery voltage drops too low. A plug-in hybrid such as the Volt has no problem running the accessories and even the AC for hours on the traction battery as long as the battery is charged.
Start-Stop engines in non-hybrid cars are kind of a double-edged sword. They save gas and help prevent pollution, but they're more expensive and can have all sorts of issues. Hybrids are so much better at this. ICE cars need bigger batteries and starters to keep up with the constant strain of starting an engine. Hybrids naturally have both of those, with the starter just being the traction motor.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
They don't want their phone to run down?

I "idled" in a hair salon parking lot for 2.5 hours yesterday, with the air conditioning on, and watching cartoons on the dashboard. It cost me basically zero emissions and about 1.5 kwh.

That was the most relaxing 2.5 hours I've had all week.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Best part of idling with remaining EV capacity while AC and movies are going: silence. Worst part of idling like this: sudden ICE jerks and sound for about a minute or two.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
All truck manufacturers offer an optional AC power port to enable truck stop electrification.

http://www.truckingefficiency.org/idle-reduction/originaltruck-stop-electrification

http://www.truckinginfo.com/channel/drivers/article/story/2013/07/7-ways-to-cut-idling-costs.aspx

1 - 12 of 12 Posts