GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all--

Anyone every tried to paint the ugly black plastic front license plate holder? I have the Summit White finish, but am not sure what paint would stick, how many coats to use, what (aftermarket?) color would work, etc. I was just thinking that at least it could blend in a little better if it were white like the rest of the bumper.

Thanks.

* Ian *

·
Registered
707 Posts
You can try Plasti-Dip, that way you can try it to see if you like it.

·
Registered
13,929 Posts
You can try Plasti-Dip, that way you can try it to see if you like it.
Caveat that with watching the YouTube videos by dipyourcar.com to learn how to best use plastidip. This is amazing stuf that you spray on one light coat, then 4 or 5 heavy coats, and when done it creates a rubber coating. If you don't like the look, you can just peel it right off and try a different color. You don't even have to mask the license plate bracket as overspray can just be peeled off and it will cut at the edges of the bracket. Last summer I announced that I wanted to dip my entire car. I haven't done it yet, but every few weeks they keep adding new colors, pearls and color flips making it harder and harder to choose what color to change my car.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You could always take the front bracket off completely and order 2 sets of bumper plugs. I know myself and several other forum members have.

http://www.bumperplugs.com/

-JAE
I now live in Illinois...it's a law that I have to have the front license plate. It's not on. Just trying to figure out how to minimize the impact/look.

* Ian *

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
I now live in Illinois...it's a law that I have to have the front license plate. It's not on. Just trying to figure out how to minimize the impact/look.

* Ian *
I do too. I've driven without a front plate since 2005 and haven't had a ticket. I've been warned to stay away from the airport though. The sales manager at my dealer said he's had 5 tickets at O'Hare.

Next time you're on the road, take note of how many cars don't have front license plates. It might surprise you. On a trip home from the dealer after hearing the O'Hare story, my wife and I counted 23 cars with no front plate.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts

* Ian *
FWIW, once I put my plate on I never again noticed the bracket. Now the dark rocker panels on he white car, those are ugly.

·
Registered
13,929 Posts
FWIW, once I put my plate on I never again noticed the bracket. Now the dark rocker panels on he white car, those are ugly.
Come spring I'm going to try plastidip and pearlizer on my rocker panels to see if I can match the white diamond tricoat.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Come spring I'm going to try plastidip and pearlizer on my rocker panels to see if I can match the white diamond tricoat.
Sounds like a good idea. Evening out the bits that extend up beyond the door bottoms would be a start, the rockers themselves are not so bad. I think they had the Aztek stylists work on that part.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts