GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the first things I thought when buying my new Volt was that they should have gone body color on the rear bumper and rockers. The piano black is at least a "finish" unlike gray/black rough plastic like Gen 1, but I think monochrome would still be sleeker.

I'm pretty handy with body work and paint. I'm in the middle of painting one of my other fun cars, but thinking of painting my 2017 rockers and rear lower bumper in kinetic blue this summer.

I searched the forum and found a couple of Gen 1 people who did it like http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?231497-For-those-that-painted-your-rocker-panels and http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?158145-My-2012-Volt-Upgrades

However, haven't seen a gen2 with it done.

Has it been done before?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Excellent plan. I've not seen this done yet on a Gen II, but it certainly needs to be. You should be the first. Please proceed. Looking forward to seeing your pics.

For a good comparison look at photos of a bunch of Teslas. The ones that are painted all the way to the bottom look so much better than the ones with the black lower panels.

Your next challenge will be figuring out how to lower the car, and then adding some chrome wheels!!! Or not.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the encouragement. It will be likely July / Aug before I will get to it. Going to try to mock it up in photoshop first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
Very interested in seeing what your new Volt will look when finished. I have a white 2017, hate the black rear end. (Of course, keeping the rear end white could be a challenge driving in rain; rear end kind of has a "van" or "station wagon" effect -- gets dirty quick because of swirling vortices behind car).

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I hate the black accents too. Wish it was all one color. Let us see how it turns out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
926 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Oh, by the way, it DOES rain here in East Texas. Not like it does in Seattle. I remember being stationed at McChord AFB in Tacoma in the 70's! Lived in Puyallup. Would not recognize the area now; it has doubled its population since then (mostly from California?).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts