GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my volt for just over a month. A few weeks ago I noticed the paint bump (think smeared nail polish) at the gap between the bumper and the driver's door . I leaned over and and poked at it (just once) with my finger while thinking "what's that?". The paint bump broke off and now the paint is peeling/chipping on the corner of the bumper. I can see the plastic underneath where the paint is chipping.

I went to the dealer to get a paint touch-up pen and the parts guy suggested that I talk to the service/body-shop guys to see if it's a manufacturing flaw.

When service looked at it, they noticed that the paint is also chipping/peeling in roughly the same location on the passenger side. I overheard one of the body shop guys say it may be related to the plastic thingy (a technical term) that hangs below the bumper (and scrapes curb when parking and the ground when moving between an incline and flat ground).

The service department said they would have to contact GM about the paint issue. This was over a week ago and I haven't heard anything. I'm not sure what to think.

Has anyone else had or heard of issues with chipping paint or the plastic thingy under the bumper?

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I for one would like to see a few picts of that area.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I don't have it on my car and I haven't heard of anyone else having an issue. As Cord suggests some pics would be great.

·
Registered
915 Posts
There is a saying. "this thread is worthless without pics" but in all seriousness any car manufacturer warrants a car against paint defects for years this shouldn't be a problem.

The same Mitsubishi robots paint chevy's, fords, Toyota's etc... gone are the days of an actual person is painting your car.

·
Registered
90 Posts
OK, I am guessing the "gap between the bumper and drivers door" does NOT refer to the wheel, which is between the bumper and door, but actually means the rocker panel (black which is immediately BELOW the doors) and the drivers door (painted color) ?
And no, mine doesn't have any problems I can see either.
If that is the true location, then it sounds like rust and should in any event, be covered by warrenty.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've got the same thing going on with mine. I live on the benches of Salt Lake City and I scrape the air dam quite often. I noticed it on Saturday when I detailed it. I will try to get a photo later.

Sunvolt

3,608 Posts
@ blueiris,

Sorry to hear about the paint issue you are having with your new Volt. What dealer are you working with? I can have an advisor take a look and see if we can help you out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had a small bubble on the edge od the rear passager door. The dealer reapired it without issue.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just went out and looked at mine and it's not worth taking it to the dealer at this point. When I read this it made some sense but after looking at it I don't think the air dam could cause it. If it gets worse I will post it.

Sunvolt 4.48 kWh at home and 47kWh at work, 5 level 2's being installed at work this month!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
For the life of me, I can't figure out what the hell any of you are talking about. Will someone please post a picture of the referenced area?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I can't say if the air dam is causing it, but I too got tired of it scraping constantly, especially in my steep driveway. So I removed my air dam this weekend. I was concerned it would have a noticeable affect on my efficiency, but so far that's not the case at all. In fact on the way to work today I broke my record, I usually get to the office with 26-27 miles left on the battery. Today I had 30.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I lost my original reply to this thread when I clicked "Go Advanced" :-(

Sorry for the delay. I saw the responses last night, but had to wait for daylight to take pictures. And then couldn't post them until after work. Note: the pictures are pretty big, 1300x750 and 1500x1900 (after being cropped).

Driver's side (near headlight) http://tinypic.com/r/1zfmona/5
Taller photo of passenger's side (includes part of headlight) picture

Heard back from the dealership today (after contacting the Chevy Volt Advisor Hotline). Fixing the peeled areas will take 3 days. Dealership thinks its due to the air dam (plastic thingy at below front of car) scraping surfaces.

The Chevy Volt advisor I talked to indicated that shorter air dams are available but using one adversely affects electric range on a single charge ~12% or so.

I'm happy with the experience with the Chevy Volt hotline and hearing back from the dealer. But, I'm also concerned about how the paint job will last longer term. Even being aware of the possibility of paint damage, how realistic is it that one can completely avoid scraping the air dam on the ground from time-to-time due to abrupt surface grade changes (like in driveways, garages, curbs or parking (wheel) chocks)? Seems like a problem waiting to happen (again).

·
Registered
194 Posts
The Chevy Volt advisor I talked to indicated that shorter air dams are available but using one adversely affects electric range on a single charge ~12% or so.
12%? I gotta call BS on that.

Race teams that use aero would kill for 3% change in performance from an aero tweak.

- Mark

·
Registered
738 Posts
Blueiris, thanks for the pictures it helps me to understand the location. I do not have any issue with paint peeling. I think that the air dam is too soft, playing with it today again, to have any effect up at that joint area. Now if the fascia splitter (hard horizontal plastic above the air dam) hits the ground maybe enough energy can transfer up there. But in looking at your pics, my opinion is that it was likely some sort of installation issue or repair issue that had someone flex the fascia flange beyond normal causing a stress in the paint.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
12%? I gotta call BS on that.

Race teams that use aero would kill for 3% change in performance from an aero tweak.

- Mark
I have to agree. I have the shorter air dams on both of ours, i just did a run over to Scottsdale and back and with the remaining estimate I was getting 48 MPC.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have also had paint chipping at the point where the two panels meet above the front tire (on both sides). Had to take it to the dealer, who in turn had to get GM approval before they could repair the paint. I do drive it on bumpy dirt roads, so the air dam does take a lot of hits. We'll see if my second Volt, to be picked up in a couple of days, has the same problem.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I am watching this area closely. If they backed the seam off just the smallest amount, there wouldnt be any worries of rubbing. When I flexed the air damn in both directions (forward and reverse), I could notice some bumper deflection. When I back out of my steep garage, the airdam gets flexed forward, opposite of the direction it it intended to flex. I am going to pissed if it does this, as I spent good money on a clear bra on my car I will have to replace, probably at my own expense.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I checked my 2012 with 5500 miles and I also noticed the same pinched area on the drivers side. The paint inside the seam has pealed some, but not too bad yet.

The plastic and the metal seam here fit very tight. I have not hit much with my air dam, and for the most part don't have any problems scrapping.

Not sure what to do with the area. I don't have any touch up paint, and if it gets any worse it would be noticeable as I have a silver car and the bumper is black underneath.

I have two pics of the same area, once is a closeup. I am pretty sure the car came this way from the factory.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Interesting. Not seeing anything like this. I was thinking it might have something to do with paint color but obviously not.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts