GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Volt owners!

My wife and I just picked up our new Volt 5 days ago and have been thrilled with our new car! However, the other day we took a break from driving it to put a coat of wax on the vechicle and noticed a paint defect on the painted portion of the roof just above the passenger door (just before the black part of the roof). It appears that some black paint got on the cyber gray before the car was clearcoated and as a result there is a streak of black paint that runs about 10 inches or so along the roof (see the attached image). I have never seen anything like it before and am not sure how it would happen. Anyway as you can imagine I was pretty upset when I found it as the car is only a few days old. I am assuming that the only way to fix it will be to have the spot repainted but this really worries me. I am worried that they will have a difficult time matching the metallic paint and will lead to a significant portion of the car needing repainted and obviously I am worried about the depreciation the car will incur as a result.

Has anyone else had problems with their paint? Should I be worried about getting the car repainted? Does anyone have any advice as to how we should handle this issue?

I contacted my sales person the other day and informed them of the problem but I am still waiting to hear back.

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
My paint is flawless, I spent over 5 hours on my first detail which included washing the car down with Dawn Detergent to remove any/all road grime/grease/oils then clayed it using a brand new Clay Bar, I then re-washed it and then applied 3 coats of ZAINO Z2-PRO layered with ZAINO Z6 Detail Spray.

As I said you get up close and personnal with that kind of detail and the paint/finish on my CR 2012 Volt is flawless and looks spectacular. This is the same routine I've used with all my vette's since 1995.

I would suggest a visit to the dealer who most likely send it to a reputable body shop for correction. It's not that big a deal and easily repaired.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Any good professional paint shop should be able to remove the clearcoat over the overspray, then sand off the overspray & buff it back out to a perfect finish, then re-apply the clearcoat.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issue. I'm sure they'll be able to fix this fairly easily. My paint job was flawless but after 14+ months sadly this is no longer true. The road and use will take a toll. (I've been careful but there are still a couple of small dings on the passenger side door). You didn't notice it for a few days so my guess is no one else would ever notice. That's not to say it shouldn't be addressed, just that it would not be a major concern for me. (It may be worse than I'm thinking but I'm having a hard time understanding what is happening from the pic you posted). Then again, when my wife dropped a shovel on the hood of one of our new cars my reaction was to say "Good, we got that out of the way". Which is to say that I'm relaxed about small issues with the exterior. The first few scratches are the worst but small dings and scratches are inevitable.

3,600 Posts
Sorry to hear about this issue tonyt16! If you have not heard back from your dealer after a while, give our Volt Advisor team a call and we can do what we can to assist you in getting this corrected. Congratulations on your new Volt, sorry it hasn't been the greatest start to your ownership though. Hopefully, this will be taken care of and we can get you back to enjoying your Volt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BAZINGA - We love the Zanio products as well, been using them for several years. We performed the same process to the car only we used Z-AIO instead of Z-2 and put the Z-CS to seal everything.

DonC - It was difficult to get a good pic of the problem because I took the pic after I waxed it. It was almost like looking into a mirror hence why you mostly just see a reflection of our garage ceiling and my camera. The pic is just above the front passenger door on the A pillar next to the black roof. Anyway from what I can tell a few streaks of black paint got onto the gray portion of the car sometime during the manufacturer painting process. I am not sure how black paint would have ended up there as I would imagine the black roof is paint separately from the car but I'm not sure of the painting process. It seems to me that it happened before the clearcoat was applied because there is no bump in the paint. The defect is not very obvious especially when you are outside in the sun, which is probably why we did not notice it when we looked it over on the lot. I'll see if I can take a better picture tonight to better show the problem.

Hopefully they will be able to repaint it an it won't be an issue. I just know from pass experience with metallic paint that it can be difficult to match. Our last car just needed a small section repainted but because the body shop could not get the paint to match they had to repaint the entire side of the car, it was never the same after that. It just upsetting that a $40k+ car needs to be repainted after less than a week of ownership. We take the car back to the dealer tonight so I guess we will see what they have to say.

·
Administrator
20,016 Posts
How did that make it through QC?

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Sorry about your problem. Seems like GM should have caught this one in QC. Hopefully your dealer can get this taken care of promptly for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So should our Volt need to be repainted is there something perticular we should look for in a body shop? This is our first Chevrolet product and I am not fimilar with their repair centers. Are there GM certified body shops? Can anyone recommend a location around Dayton, OH? I just want to make sure I am prepared for tonight when we take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
So should our Volt need to be repainted is there something perticular we should look for in a body shop? This is our first Chevrolet product and I am not fimilar with their repair centers. Are there GM certified body shops? Can anyone recommend a location around Dayton, OH? I just want to make sure I am prepared for tonight when we take it to the dealer.
I've had several Corvette's repaired/painted as well as my wife's 09 SRX and any reputable collision repair facility your dealer recommends will be alright. I will add that in my case I used two local reputable shops not only recommended by my dealer but local Corvette Club. And trust me, if you want to meet anal car owners find a Corvette owner.

You'll be fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have over 7 paint defects on my new Volt and Chevy says it is normal. Not sure they are in touch with what's going on with the quality in the current auto world. This is a serious error. I have owned Jags, Range Rovers, SAAB Griffin, Chevy SSR, GM's Denali's, Fords, FJ's, and currentlly own 3 Benz. C 240,E550, and an S class. I have seen it all, but never have seen a factory finish this bad. It is not normal.
This was a special order car too. i would think that is they have a special order they would be aware of it and make sure it was all good to go! Several scuffs on the interior trim too. Oh yeah...back windows have really poor glass. Can hardly see what kind of car is behind me. I feel like I caught my best friend kissing my girl friend. I love her, but why?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I have over 7 paint defects on my new Volt and Chevy says it is normal. Not sure they are in touch with what's going on with the quality in the current auto world. This is a serious error. I have owned Jags, Range Rovers, SAAB Griffin, Chevy SSR, GM's Denali's, Fords, FJ's, and currentlly own 3 Benz. C 240,E550, and an S class. I have seen it all, but never have seen a factory finish this bad. It is not normal.
This was a special order car too. i would think that is they have a special order they would be aware of it and make sure it was all good to go! Several scuffs on the interior trim too. Oh yeah...back windows have really poor glass. Can hardly see what kind of car is behind me. I feel like I caught my best friend kissing my girl friend. I love her, but why?
What is a "special order"? If you mean you ordered it from the dealer with your options, there is no difference at the factory. Mine was ordered too and it was made the same as what gets sent to any dealer.

I have been pretty impressed with my paint job. I would say it's as good as my last Lexus and Mercedes.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Call your advisor, so far GM has gone out of their way to keep us Volt owners happy. If there is a defect, and it sounds as if there is, then they will fix it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts