GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A new poster here. Wondering if there are opinions (or facts!) on using either the paddle or braking for more efficient regeneration. I would assume the paddle was placed there for a purpose but I have heard there's little difference between the two. Thanks for any input.

·
8,680 Posts
Both methods trigger the same electric motor to act in the same fashion. The only way I'd think there is a difference is that the brake pedal will start mixing in the friction brakes at some point, possibly at lower levels than you thought - in which case you'd be throwing away some kinetic energy.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Agree with Walter. The advantage of the paddles is there isn't any blended braking. It's all regen.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Summary:
You can use regen 3 different ways.
1- Pressing on the brake pedal gives you progressive regen before the mechanical brakes blend in.
2- Lifting your foot off the accelerator gives you progressive regen, little in D, a lot more in L
3- Pulling on the paddle gives you a fixed (non progressive amount of regen).

You can see how much regen is produced in any of these modes and from any given speed by looking at the energy information on the right side of the driver screen.

Efficiency is not so much linked to what method you use, but on what distance you spread your deceleration over. The more aggressive the deceleration (& acceleration) are, the less efficient, the smoother they are, the more efficient.

What method you use depends on the circumstances, and the comfort you find in each of them. There are may threads on this subject on the forum, if you want to find out how diverse people's opinions are on the matter :)

But my advice is to take the time to experiment with each of them, over a long enough period so they become natural to you, and then decide what you like most.

Example of a recent thread
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?236609-Driving-in-D-(with-regen-paddle)-vs.-driving-in-L

·
Registered
743 Posts
I prefer the brake pedal since it's regeneration is progressive all the way until the brakes engage. The paddle is all or nothing which makes it a little jerky to use.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I prefer the brake pedal since it's regeneration is progressive all the way until the brakes engage. The paddle is all or nothing which makes it a little jerky to use.
I agree with this. And this is also why I think the paddle under most circumstances is actually less efficient.

I find the paddle under most circumstances slows the car too aggressively which would lead to higher battery charging losses from the higher rates of energy (over a shorter time frame). Slow and steady regen braking will have better charging efficiencies and allow you to better re-capture more kinetic energy.

I typically only use the paddle (in conjunction with the brake) when doing a hard stop or just the paddle when slowing the car for a corner or travelling down a steep hill.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, I was using the regen paddle as a fun toy, but when I started reaching for it instead of the brake, I put the regen paddle aside. You do not want to reach for the paddle by instinct in an emergency situation, and I could see that happening. As others have pointed out, the brake pedal does an amazing job of blended braking, using the friction brakes only when it has to (and should). The Chevy is much better at this than my Gen 3 Prius. The cool technology is in the blended braking system not the all-or-nothing regen paddle. Use it and marvel!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Well, I was using the regen paddle as a fun toy, but when I started reaching for it instead of the brake, I put the regen paddle aside. You do not want to reach for the paddle by instinct in an emergency situation, and I could see that happening. As others have pointed out, the brake pedal does an amazing job of blended braking, using the friction brakes only when it has to (and should). The Chevy is much better at this than my Gen 3 Prius. The cool technology is in the blended braking system not the all-or-nothing regen paddle. Use it and marvel!
^^^ What fspvolt said ^^^

Don't let OCD progress to DOA.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts