GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at SFO and attempted to charge from one of the Chargepoints there. Nothing happened, just a "Waiting for Vehicle" on the Chargepoint screen. My dash light went yellow and the dreaded Service High Voltage Charging System" is now a semi-permanent part of my DIC screen.

Coolant level is just below the black sticker, I assume this is the problem until actual diagnosis.

My question, when I take it in on Monday, is, which warranty is this covered under?

I'm at 26,699 miles and have the extended GMPP warranty.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The voltec warranty will cover this issue. If the coolant level is low due to a hole or stone damage to the drive motor battery coolant radiator, make sure they repair it under the bulletin and add the extra screens. This is covered under warranty, do not let them sell this to you. In the bulletin, it stats to use warranty labor op, meaning this is a covered issue due to lack of protection of the radiator.

#13-06-02-001A: Supplemental Repair Required for Drive Motor Battery Coolant Radiator Replacement Due to Stone/Foreign Material Impact

For vehicles repaired under the 8 year/100,000 mile (160,000 km) Chevrolet Volt Battery Components (Code V) warranty, use:

5080148*
Replace Drive Motor Battery Coolant Radiator and Add Second Grille Screen
4.6 hrs

All gen 1 volts is covered under this bulletin for the 8 years/80k miles.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks. Does it cover the sensor at all? Or the wiring that was re-purposed to add the sensor?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Thanks. Does it cover the sensor at all? Or the wiring that was re-purposed to add the sensor?
Strange questions. You may want to elaborate. The Voltec warranty will cover the problem. However, based on your questions it sounds like you may have modified something. If so, that could void your warranty.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2011's did not come with a coolant level sensor. It was added during the side impact update and the wiring was modified to accommodate it.

Warranties often exclude little things like sensors, I'd like to know if anyone has experience with the sensor failing and whether or not it is covered.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 2011 volt, #1247

I have never hear of a coolant level sensor added
Did you not have the battery side impact improvement performed? It was added then, along with the anti-tamper bracket on the fill cap.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
I was at SFO and attempted to charge from one of the Chargepoints there. Nothing happened, just a "Waiting for Vehicle" on the Chargepoint screen. My dash light went yellow and the dreaded Service High Voltage Charging System" is now a semi-permanent part of my DIC screen.

Coolant level is just below the black sticker, I assume this is the problem until actual diagnosis.

My question, when I take it in on Monday, is, which warranty is this covered under?

I'm at 26,699 miles and have the extended GMPP warranty.
Sounds like the a level sensor or wiring issue as the coolant doesn't sound low (must drop to well below the tank's mid-seam)
They may try to get coverage under the Voltec warranty, or if it's shoddy wiring when the campaign kit was added they might just goodwill it. (especially if THEY performed the campaign procedure)
Good luck
WOT

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Sounds like the a level sensor or wiring issue as the coolant doesn't sound low (must drip to well below the tank's mid-seam)
They may try to get coverage under the Voltec warranty, or if it's shoddy wiring when the campaign kit was added they might just goodwill it. (especially if THEY performed the campaign procedure)
Good luck
WOT
Thanks WOT. Unfortunately the dealer that performed the campaign is under new ownership which has turned them into a Volt-hating greedy mess. (Very high turnover in employees...) I think the Volt Techs at the place I took it are from the place that did the work back in '11 or '12.

No word yet on what they found, the end of the day call yesterday was just to inform me that the tech was "following the tree" and had not reached a conclusion yet.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Thanks WOT. Unfortunately the dealer that performed the campaign is under new ownership which has turned them into a Volt-hating greedy mess. (Very high turnover in employees...) I think the Volt Techs at the place I took it are from the place that did the work back in '11 or '12.

No word yet on what they found, the end of the day call yesterday was just to inform me that the tech was "following the tree" and had not reached a conclusion yet.
Well there is a bulletin they should be following. (see attached) PI0961 If they find nothing they should just replace the level sensor. They may also have to reprogram HPCM2 to get the message to extinguish.

HTH
WOT

Attachments

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now that was informative, thanks again.

Did not hear from the dealer today, will call tomorrow if I don't hear from them first.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I'm Back...

OK, my car is charging again. It was full when I picked up just now,
What worries me now is the details on the service ticket. There is mention of seepage on the radiator, and a recommendation to replace it, along with adding a second screen.

Is that covered by any warranty? Or am I mis-reading the ticket, and they already did this?

View attachment Fremont Chevrolet Volt Repair1a.pdf

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
OK, my car is charging again. It was full when I picked up just now,
What worries me now is the details on the service ticket. There is mention of seepage on the radiator, and a recommendation to replace it, along with adding a second screen.

Is that covered by any warranty? Or am I mis-reading the ticket, and they already did this?

View attachment 111666
I think they replaced the radiator, but you should be able to just take a look at it and see if it looks new. Are all the cooling fins straight? Your old one probably has a few that are bent and some bugs resting peacefully.
And immediately order a VoltScreen, it works much better than GM's and I doubt that a second GM screen would do much good.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I think they replaced the radiator, but you should be able to just take a look at it and see if it looks new. Are all the cooling fins straight? Your old one probably has a few that are bent and some bugs resting peacefully.
And immediately order a VoltScreen, it works much better than GM's and I doubt that a second GM screen would do much good.
The second screen is the same as or similar to the original one installed at the factory. It is placed above the first screen to give the radiator protection higher. The original one covers @the lower 1/3 of the radiator. A stone entering the grill on an upward trajectory can get a free shot at the unprotected tubes. One the bounces around in there has lots of unprotected tubes to get after.

BTW, screen is a bit of a misnomer. The OEM device is a plastic grid that is attached directly to the front of the radiator and covers only the radiator tubes. Rocks still get to the fins and a few radiators have been punctured directly through the factory guard.

HTH,

Steve

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Radiator is new, along with the front air dam. (Surprise!) The new screen covers only the lower third of the radiator, but not to worry, I added a nice screen on the grille.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To follow up, I just got a call from Fremont Chevrolet saying they "forgot" to ask for the deductible on my GMPP for this repair...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello mpmoore: I was looking thru the threads and my volt is a 2013 with a bit over the 100K miles (104+). I never had this Service High Voltage charging System happen but I saw your thread and wanted to ask you, is this under the 8 year Voltec warranty? Is it normal for the dealership to charge $700 in Labor alone? I saw a bulletin in NHSTA.gov about this issue too. Any advice?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts