GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just wanted to let Volt owners in on a simple trick and perhaps save a trip to the dealer.

Today after my morning surf i get into my car and see "Service High Voltage Charging System." I called onstar immediately and they ran a few tests. They tell me to go schedule a service at the dealer to solve this very simple problem. I get home and tried to charge and sure enough i WASN'T able to. The light stayed orange then after a few minutes just switched off as if there wasn't a charger attached.

Now having the volt for 1 year now i have experienced many bugs that reset after the next start. I figure i can reset this error and save my self a huge inconvenience of going to the dealer. So i restart and nothing.

Luckily i have a "actron OBD II Pocketscan." I thought that if i scanned and erased the error codes i may be able to reset the on board computer or whatever needed to be reset.

Sure enough it worked! i am now charging and error messages are gone! So any of you that experience this message try a error scanner and erase the codes, it may save you wasted time to the dealer to reset G.M.'s buggy system!

J.C. :)

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Hi,

I just wanted to let Volt owners in on a simple trick and perhaps save a trip to the dealer.

Today after my morning surf i get into my car and see "Service High Voltage Charging System." I called onstar immediately and they ran a few tests. They tell me to go schedule a service at the dealer to solve this very simple problem. I get home and tried to charge and sure enough i WASN'T able to. The light stayed orange then after a few minutes just switched off as if there wasn't a charger attached.

Now having the volt for 1 year now i have experienced many bugs that reset after the next start. I figure i can reset this error and save my self a huge inconvenience of going to the dealer. So i restart and nothing.

Luckily i have a "actron OBD II Pocketscan." I thought that if i scanned and erased the error codes i may be able to reset the on board computer or whatever needed to be reset.

Sure enough it worked! i am now charging and error messages are gone! So any of you that experience this message try a error scanner and erase the codes, it may save you wasted time to the dealer to reset G.M.'s buggy system!

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind if I ever experience this problem. I have the same Actron OBD II Pocketscan too!

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
This doesn't fixing anything, it just tells the car to clear the error, most likely they maybe setting themselves up for major failure by not going to the dealer with a serious fault yet continuing to drive and or charge

·
Registered
804 Posts
This doesn't fixing anything, it just tells the car to clear the error, most likely they maybe setting themselves up for major failure by not going to the dealer with a serious fault yet continuing to drive and or charge
I hope it just resets until the next occurrence of the issue? So if it comes back up - then it would really be an issue to take to the dealer????

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Maybe before resetting, take a peek at the coolant level - if it's low, get thee to thy dealer and leave the codes set.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
coolant is fine. just drove it dry and charged no problem ... no error message. i am telling you guys the system is buggy! i have had so many instances of buggy system this is just another instance..

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
coolant is fine. just drove it dry and charged no problem ... no error message. i am telling you guys the system is buggy! i have had so many instances of buggy system this is just another instance..
DRY?

What other incidents have you had with your Volt?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol. Not coolant dry but drove till battery was dry!. Well for one I several times while parked in a public lot I returned to windows rolled all the way down! Many times the infotainment system has hung /froze . Many times while driving music volume mysteriously raised then volume controls freeze and I am stuck driving with blasting music until I stop and turn off and then restart. Been to the dealer twice when I first got the volt camt remember what for but I believe a re flash was done...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Wow timely advice thanks. I just got this trio of codes as I got into the car this evening. I don't have an obscure scanner though.. perhaps AutoZone can reset them.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Lol. Not coolant dry but drove till battery was dry!. Well for one I several times while parked in a public lot I returned to windows rolled all the way down! Many times the infotainment system has hung /froze . Many times while driving music volume mysteriously raised then volume controls freeze and I am stuck driving with blasting music until I stop and turn off and then restart. Been to the dealer twice when I first got the volt camt remember what for but I believe a re flash was done...
Well...you didn't actually run the battery "dry"...GM engineering has quite a reserve hidden from the customer...:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I know. I wish there was a hack so we could have 2kw more that would be perfect for my commute to the beach... i would never use gas.

·
Registered
392 Posts
nice trick, I got that message just last weekend while on a trip to Tahoe. I had to go to the dealer just to reset the system (there was nothing wrong and they just had to reset). I'll keep this in mind if it happens again and I suspect a false message. For those that are unaware, this particular message seems to have a history of "false positive" occurences, and in my case occurred after a cold overnight unplugged in Tahoe (at a steep incline as well).

It specifically does not allow the car to charge using the chargeport but all other systems, including regenerative charging and mountain mode, will work fine.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Maybe before resetting, take a peek at the coolant level - if it's low, get thee to thy dealer and leave the codes set.
good point, in my case I did just that (after reading these forums) and my levels were fine. It IS kind of annoying to take it to the dealer to reset the warning when there is nothing wrong with it (the dealer verified this and they just had to "reprogram it" <-- their words)... At least I finally got the tires rotated :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sweet good to hear that I am not the only one with false error messages. Maybe mods in here could give this a sticky, would really save a ton of headaches. ..

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Hi,

I figure i can reset this error and save my self a huge inconvenience of going to the dealer. So i restart and nothing.

Beware. Not all ODB II devices are compatible with GM's communication buss. Several owners have bricked their Volts (Requiring a tow to the dealer.) by leaving the ODB II device plugged in while driving. GM has approved Dashteq devices. Your actron Pocketscan is not on the GM approved list. Use it with caution.

Also... You might want to schedule an appointment with your dealer and see if there is a software update that might prevent that code from happening again. Or call your Volt advisor at: 866-790-5600.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

Hello!

Exactly the same happened to my Opel Ampera (European version of the Volt). Fault codes were the same. Fortunately I was able to clear them but only when the battery was empty (0km battery range). When the battery still had some charge the message »Service High Voltage Charging System« appeared again after resetting and restarting the car.

My procedure:
1. Make sure the battery is empty (0km electric range).
2. Put in the OBD adapter (I have ELM327).
3. Turn on the car.
4. Run TORQUE software on your Android phone (I am using Torque version 1.8.1), search for fault codes and then clear all 3 of them – the message »Service High Voltage Charging System« shall disappear immediately.
5. Plug-in charging cord (the car won't charge because it's still running).
6. Turn off the car and charging shall start.

The coolant level on my Ampera is a few centimeters below normal and the car was outside (and the terain was uneven) while charging when the error occurred – I normally charge it in my garage. After resetting the fault codes the car recharged now for 4 times without any problems! I also contacted service and they said they will add some coolant.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had the same codes. Car didn't want to charge (solid orange light on dash). Fluid for the High Voltage Battery side of the coolant reserve was low (front of engine bay, where a normal radiator would be, orange fluid (50/50 Dex coolant)). Filled it, cleared codes, problem solved. Before the codes and light would fault again after a few seconds of charging.

The right (driver) side is for Engine coolant.

Now monitoring fluid level to see if I have a leak worth worrying about.

·
Registered
44 Posts
windows rolled down: you most likely pressed and held the unlock button for 5 or more seconds. this can happen if you have junk in your pocket and it presses against the unlock button. That's a feature, not a bug. Gen 2 Volts have this as a user selectable configuration item, for gen 1 it can be turned off by the dealer.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Beware. Not all ODB II devices are compatible with GM's communication buss. Several owners have bricked their Volts (Requiring a tow to the dealer.) by leaving the ODB II device plugged in while driving. GM has approved Dashteq devices. Your actron Pocketscan is not on the GM approved list. Use it with caution.
Any actual stories of that happening posted here? That's the first I've heard of this, And I've done a lot of reading on the issue...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts