GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK now the back story. Bought a 2012 Chevrolet Volt just under two tears ago 28K now 48K. Been reasonably reliable. A thermostat on Gas engine, and center stack display replaced under extended warranty. Wife drives about 26 27 miles round trip to work from Phoenix to Scottsdale. Car charges every night on 220 Volts no issues at all last summer. June 6th wife after work goes to gym, car is on gas that's normal. She starts car after work out. Gas engine starts right away and gives propulsion power reduced warning in parking lot. Take it to Chevrolet they keep car overnight, check system is OK give us letter that this is normal on I70 in Colorado use mountain mode. Flat and level on 101 from Phoenix to Scottsdale. Happens again on June 16th wife been using mountain mode. Dealer gives us same sheet basically but doesn't mention Colorado says don't bring it back unless there is a MIL lamp. Monday or Tuesday 8:00 am wife starts car it has a full charge. 30 miles range is normal when its hot and we use full air when its 110. But the MIL light is lit. Rang up On Star advisor says P1E00 and another code which I forgot. Advisor says Lithium Ion propulsion battery issue take to Chevy with in seven days. Waited till this am hoping after a few restarts it will clear, Call dealer all lines busy. Wife takes my Camaro to work I take Volt to dealer. Dealer says that MIL light is normal if not driven in Mountain Mode! Will not even look at car. Very unhappy that I was told the Diagnostic code. Says all Volt mechanics are busy, If I don't like service take to another Dealer!!! Sets appointment for Tuesday July 5th. I would like the issue fixed that's why we bought the warranty. If Midway Chevrolet is not capable or unwilling to service Volt what are my options? Is there an escalation available with in GM...

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I don't think your issues is with GM. Without the second code it's impossible to say, but it's quite possible your coolant is low or there have been some issues with charging voltage or an low voltage event with your 12v battery. Knowing one code was P1E00 doesn't help much because it's a code that tells you there was another code.

Just guessing, and it's a complete guess, but I'd wonder whether the 12v is dying. That's mostly because of the age of the car and the fact you live where it's very hot, which doesn't help 12v battery life.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
You're dealing with idiots. Have you talked to your Volt advisor? Are they the only dealer around? Call OnStar and write down the other code; provide it here for the experts.
Ditto on the idiots. MIL is not normal and Mountain Mode will not fix it. Call the Volt Advisor.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
"the other code" which you forgot, is about all that's important here.
Without that information it's impossible assess this situation or lay blame anywhere.
Some people will immediately call dealers idiots but that's often just not the case
Sometimes it's more about GM polices and procedures, OR certain Important details that are missed or not being stated.
But I have a feeling we are dealing with a simple communications issue here going from technician>service advisor> wifey>husband> post.
(it's like that whispering game you played at your desks in school)

NO dealer would ever suggest a "check engine light" is "normal" - please
(and anyone calling them as such may need to look inwards a bit) ;)

What they MAY be saying the DTC won't turn off the MIL until the correct operating parameters are reached and a PASSING TEST take place.
This IS CERTAINLY true for some DTCs and has become the bane of the technician as often after the repair is complete the technician may not have time to road test the vehicle extensively to make that occur.
Some codes will actually NOT immediately turn off the MIL when cleared by a scan tool- fact!
If the DTC is engine related then assuming it's using this type of behavior it WILL need to wait until the engine runs in order to PASS and turn OFF the MIL- fact!
But it ALL DEPENDS on the actual DTC we are talking about

So get that DTC and any DIC messages if they exist (you didn't mention any) and we can discuss further
OR
drive the vehicle in extended range or mountain mode for a spell as see if the light goes out
WOT

·
Registered
307 Posts
I can help you. I work at Auto nation Chevy in Arrowhead/Peoria. I setting around with nothing to do at this time. I am the only volt tech here but I give them top priority when they come in. I enjoy working on them so I bought one a few years ago.

There is a problem with your car, the p1e00 is a code that sets in the engine computer to turn on the MIL so you know there is a problem in the hybrid powertrain control module 2. Most common issue is with the coolant level for the drive motor battery. If the coolant is low, its most likely the radiator which would be covered under the 8 year/100k voltech warranty. If its something else, its most likely covered under the same warranty. You can call Scot Davis and make a appointment or just drop by during a week day.

DTC P1E00
Hybrid/EV Powertrain Control Module 2 Requested MIL Illumination

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: More info on Volt issue

OK sorry for the Delay. I took a break ran out to car called On Star. There so nice P1F0E is the code they report along with the P1E00 I haven't had time to look it up... And in this case the service writer did say it the MIL light is normal if not driven in Mountain Mode, and did say if I didn't like it find another dealer which I will. I was pretty fair auto mechanic way back when, runner up in Iowa Plymouth trouble shooting contest way back when. I'm an electrical engineer now doing nation service on CT scanners we rotate the scanner and use regenerative braking to control speed. So I am halfway versed on the theory but we do not have a battery we bleed energy thru a braking resistor. Really expected the dealer to LISTEN to complaint and symptoms to assist in correcting issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks I may take you up on the offer. I just bought a Chevrolet Sonic at your dealership a few weeks ago and the sales people where excellent. Yes I'm a 3 Chevrolet family. It's just a little drive from North Phoenix...

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
OK sorry for the Delay. I took a break ran out to car called On Star. There so nice P1F0E is the code they report along with the P1E00 I haven't had time to look it up... And in this case the service writer did say it the MIL light is normal if not driven in Mountain Mode, and did say if I didn't like it find another dealer which I will. I was pretty fair auto mechanic way back when, runner up in Iowa Plymouth trouble shooting contest way back when. I'm an electrical engineer now doing nation service on CT scanners we rotate the scanner and use regenerative braking to control speed. So I am halfway versed on the theory but we do not have a battery we bleed energy thru a braking resistor. Really expected the dealer to LISTEN to complaint and symptoms to assist in correcting issue.
Now I do have an issue with what the dealer is telling you.
But that assumes P1F0E was the only DTC present when you took the car to the dealer.
ARE YOU SURE there were no OTHER DTCs or DIC warning messages coming up on the display in combination with the CEL?
This DTC is sometimes set " auto tandem" with a DTC related to the battery coolant being low
Plus there's an old bulletin PIC5920 for this DTC that required reprogramming of HPCM2, but I would be surprised if you didn't have that already

The DTC P1F0E is an RESS isolation related issue detected during charging and this particular should extinguish immediately after a PASS. (but it would need to be either plugged in to do so OR the loss of isolation test manually commanded by the technician in GDS2)
Perhaps post a copy of the repair order as all of the DTCs should documented there and let's try to ascertain what the dealer actually did
WOT

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: Dealer hasn't even looked at car.

Guy's real quick. The Service advisor on the drive would not even look at the car today. He had no idea what codes are set. I tried to tell him and he got defensive and asked how I got the codes, he wasn't happy when I told him On Star. When we took car in first two times there was no check engine light, no codes just a Low Propulsion Warning. I was told just use Mountain Mode the message is normal if battery is low and you are running on gas. I had always thought the gas kicked in at 20% (0% on dash) to save wear and tear on battery but there was some extra juice available. While my wife does not drive like a little old lady she does not pamper either usually 5 to 7 over. She stays with traffic nothing abnormal her commute while on the freeway is flat and level. We drove car for almost two years only saw this warning one. When thermostat was stuck open coming down from Prescott. My issue is a adviser saying a MIL light is normal and not even checking codes.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
While it has been some time ago (probably 1998) I have had issues with Midway service department. At the time I was driving an EV1 and found myself needing a short quick charge to make it home a few miles further on. At the time they did not handle the EV1, but they did sell and service the S10 EV which used the same Magnacharger. Their dealership was listed as a charger site that was available. The service writer was certain that the EV1 could not use their charger, after much discussion he agreed to let me talk to the service manager who also was certain that the EV1 was different (not). I asked him to contact someone at GM to verify the EV1 used the same charger as the S10 EV, he refused to try. Finally I said that I would accept all responsibility for any damage to either their charger or my EV1. He resisted at first but ultimately agreed to let me try to plug in under his watchful eye. I pulled in to the service bay and showed him how the EV1 accepted the charger paddle without issue and began charging. When he saw there were no issues, he turned and walked away without saying a thing. Nice customer relations. I left 30 minutes later, never to set foot in their dealership since.

I suggest you accept the offer from another dealership. Another option is Sands in Surprise (ask for Jake Friedberg).

VIN # B0985

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
OK re-reading your posts again I think I am now better understanding what you and the dealer are saying.
(sorry but with no paragraph breaks in the text of you post, I go a little wonky and may have missed some critical details.

Are you saying that the service advisor (who obviously isn't a volt technician or anything) is stating that in Colorado, (with it's many climbs I presume) that if you are not using mountain mode it will trigger a reduced propulsion message, DTC and CEL?
While it may be true that attempting a climb at a low state of charge could result in this, wouldn't he ask if you/she was in a climb when it occurred? (in this case I'm reading - NO)

Sheesh OK so this service advisor probably needs a talking to. But he's no idiot as he accomplished his goal, as in you got out of his hair! lol (which unfortunately can be a common occurrence with "walk in" service, especially so with someone armed with DTCs, or bulletin paperwork from some other source. They were probably too busy to get you in so they sloughed you off.

So perhaps they've seen this a lot. But the reality is there are numerous DTCs that would create the exact same symptoms.
Like your DTC P1F0E
So when you take it to them next week, they will likely try to reprograms the HPCM2 (as per the bulletin) in hopes that addresses the concern and it just might. But like I said earlier, I would be surprised if you hadn't already received that update, given it was released almost 4 years ago. But maybe...

Please let us know how you make out.
Good Luck
WOT

PS> You won't need to provide them the DTC. In fact it's probably best you don't. Even if the MIL goes out the DTCs in ALL the modules will need to be retrieved and assessed. The "check engine light ON" is all they need...

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Rather than take my Volt back to the service writer with the *attitude*, I would drive to Auto Nation in Arrowhead/Peoria. Mpmoore1979 seems more than willing to help with this problem.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I'll second the suggestion of going to an alternative dealer. Dealers vary quite a bit. My favorite example is the wildly varying quality of two dealers located 20 miles apart. Not too surprising perhaps but we're talking the same brand AND same ownership. Go figure. It all comes down to the people.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Will be taking car to Auto Nation Peroria

Yes, I will be taking it to Auto Nation Chevrolet. I will leave paper work on dash so Mr. Moore? will have the records of what was done. We purchased a Chevrolet Spark at Auto Nation Chevrolet Peoria a couple months back and there Sales department was very easy to deal with. It's just a long drive for service. If there service is at all like there sales team I'm sure we will be happy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very possibble fix from Auto Nation Chevrolet.

OK quick update Auto Nation Chevrolet in Peoria called. I'm thinking Mpmoore1979 has been a busy person. I will leave it to him to post what was done, but early reports are a new and improved radiator for battery coolant and newer firmware/software for the computer to help with issues. Makes sense with the 110+ temperature here in Phoenix. I'm sure with any cooling degradation the Lithium Ion battery pack is getting warm and reducing output to save it self. That would explains allot, like low propulsion warnings in parking lots... We will have to wait until we get car back and drive it a few days, but I'm getting good vibes already.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
It's great he managed to get the radiator upgrade bulletin 13-06-02-001 in there. I personally think for cars built before November 01, 2011 it should have been a recall campaign! (although most have installed a Voltscreen and alleviated the issue somewhat)
No doubt he's lookin' after ya!! ;)
WOT

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Happy Wife , Happy Life

Last post, Car is fixed, the wife drove it home said it is driving excellent. Thank You every one, Special Thanks to Justen the service advisor and Mpmoore1979 from AutoNation Chevrolet Arrowhead in Peoria. They pressure tested battery coolant system and found a small leak replaced radiator installed the 2013 protective screen. Updated both the Hybrid and Battery control Modules to latest software. Washed car and it had a full battery when she picked it up. Great to have a dealer with a decent service department. Wife even found a Generation 2 Volt in Blue she likes.... Maybe next year...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts