1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 Volt

Started having a few odd issues:

1. MIL is on.
2. Seems to have issues calculating time to charge sometimes, just shows --:-- instead of a time.
3. Parking brake comes on at start up sometimes for no reason.
4. Getting a message saying "Charge cord connected" even though its not. Of course won't let me shift out of park when doing that.

So far if I let it sit a few minutes and restart it seems to clear but the issues are getting more frequent.

I plugged in my reader and see codes P1E00 and P0D58.

Made an appointment to take it into the dealer but they can't take it until Friday (5 days) and I'm a bit concerned about having this get to the point where it won't drive at all.

I see a lot of people seem to have odd issues like this when the 12 volt batter starts to go so that is my current assumption.

Since I'm perfectly capable of replacing the battery myself I'm thinking I should just go ahead and do that to see if the problems are resolved.

I tried to get the battery tested at an Auto Parts Store but really have no faith they knew what they were doing with this car. (First clue was when he asked me how I knew it was the battery and not the alternator, second clue was when he brought his tester out and walked to the front of the car). He did test it and said the battery was fine but I don't think those testers work with the battery in the car do they?

Pretty sure this is still the OEM battery as I've owned the car 2 1/2 years and it only has 30k total on it even now.

So just wondering what the consensus opinion is?

1. Replace battery on my own and don't wait for the dealer because it's probably just the battery.
2. Hobble along for the week hoping things don't get worse and I get stranded, probably not the battery anyway.

Thanks

Steve

·
Administrator
20,352 Posts
P0D58 = ProximityDetectionCircuit Low, Sets whenProximityDetection CircuitVoltage is below a threshold. Proximity Detection Circuit Voltage <.42V

My 12V is well over 7 years old heading toward 8. So far, it's doing very well. Like you, I don't live in battery-killing Phoenix, AZ.

I don't think it's the battery. That said, a new battery will be about $150-$175 as a do it yourself project. Dealer diagnostic will be what, $60?

There's a FAQ in Newcomers with all the details on replacement battery numbers, replacement process, etc. If a new battery does not do it, well, you eliminated one potential cause and now have a spare battery for 2022 or 2023 :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, yeah I've been going back and forth on this one. If it's not the battery, I'd rather not spend the money to figure out that doesn't solve the problem.

Does it actually work for a parts store to use their tester on the battery while it's still connected? Thought I saw somewhere that they would not get an accurate read that way but can't really find a conclusive answer.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Need to take a battery voltage reading
if below 12 volt not good - if above 12 more testing needed.

·
Administrator
20,352 Posts
If it's a poor battery, I wonder if giving it a jump could be used instead of a new battery? Jump the Volt and see if the issues go away while the other car is feeding the Volt juice. Seems like a no cost test. Of course, that depends on whether the issues happen on start or while traveling.

See the manual for correct jump procedure, or see the PDF I made here: https://gm-volt.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8155&d=1353963126

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This issue with the "Charge cord connected" is really annoying. Now it's doing it while the driving as well as when parked. At least it doesn't throw the car into park when it happens! My car must think I have a REALLY long charge cord since I was 3 miles from home and it kept dinging at me. I don't think I'm going to make it until Friday. Just spent 10 minutes sitting in a parking lot waiting for it to let me shift into gear.

·
Registered
174 Posts
This issue with the "Charge cord connected" is really annoying. Now it's doing it while the driving as well as when parked. At least it doesn't throw the car into park when it happens! My car must think I have a REALLY long charge cord since I was 3 miles from home and it kept dinging at me. I don't think I'm going to make it until Friday. Just spent 10 minutes sitting in a parking lot waiting for it to let me shift into gear.
I would look at what the charge cord plugs into, there have been a number of problems with cracks and water infiltration as well as loss of signal causing many otherwise unexplainable glitches.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And now it's not charging at all. Dash light doesn't even come on. I'll be taking it in tomorrow, hopefully they'll be able to look at it sooner than Friday.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Turns out it was the charging port needed to be replaced. All covered under warranty and appears to be working well now. Thanks for your input everyone.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was somewhat amusing though. They had given me a Colorado pick-up as a loaner, I returned it and was waiting for my car to be brought around and was chatting with the service writer. We just had a bunch of snow the last few days and he said "I bet you wish you could keep the truck for the rest of the winter", I looked at him and said, "no way, I want my Volt back". He looked at me like I was nuts. I did not enjoy driving that truck at all.

I also had a conversation about the Volt with him and he really only seemed to have a passing knowledge of how they work, even though he's been there at least 5 years.

At least they charged it up for me!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts