GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2015-01-16 T Battery Heater Unit.jpg 2015-01-16 T Battery 2.jpg 2015-01-16 T Battery Car Connections.JPG 2015-01-16 T Battery 1.jpg Engine light came on the other morning, called OnStar and was told get the car into the dealer. Codes P1AF0, P1AF2 and P1E22 were quoted. Dealer said they all lead to a diagnostic tree of replacing the T Battery Heater unit. It is currently undergoing that replacement (slight chance it could be done by end of day, got my fingers crossed). See attached pictures. Heater unit shown in bottom right of first picture.

Unrelated to the battery heater problem also had another code P0014 which required a exhaust cam actuator being replaced.

·
Administrator
20,150 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got the car back at the end of the day, will get the pics back tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Very limited previous history here on gm-volt.com for these "Loss Of Isolation" (LOI) DTCs. Quite rare actually.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?91169-Volt-High-Voltage-Isolation-Problem-third-time-s-the-charm&highlight=P1AF0+P1AF2+P1E22

In one case I personally was involved with some aftermarket shop had recharged the A/C (after some post collision body work) and used the wrong refrigerant oil. (must be non-conductive POE based not regular GM PAG oil)

Keep in mind essentially ANY system component powered by 360V can critically fail and trigger an LOI fault (including the aforementioned battery coolant heater) Basically the diagnostic executive is saying it "sees" either 360+ or 360- present on the chassis ground plane of the vehicle. (technically the detection hardware within power inverter module measures the less than 500K ohms of isolation present triggering these DTCs)

So hopefully the dealer technician carefully followed the diagnostics for these DTCs and with the assistance of bulletin PIC5920 have correctly identified the battery coolant heater as the culprit.
These can be some of the most troublesome and challenging (let alone potentially dangerous) category of EV DTCs to accurately isolate to a root cause...

#fingerscrossed

WopOnTour

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had a check engine light come on a few weeks ago on my early 2012 Volt which I bought 5/2012 and which has 31,500 miles on it. The car drove normally, though. I took it in to Vandergriff Chevrolet in Arlington, TX where I bought it, about a week later. It took about 2 weeks for them to finish the work (Christmas holiday and ordering a part were probably main reasons). P1EC6, P1EC4, P1E00, U0140 were apparently the codes. The battery heater apparently was the culprit. They replaced the heater, which was covered by the powertrain warranty. They did the evaporative emission canister recall. I declined the unintentional engine running recall.

They gave me a Silverado as a loaner. I did not enjoy driving that behemoth. I was lucky to get 20 mpg out of it. I am so happy to have my Volt back.

3,600 Posts
I had a check engine light come on a few weeks ago on my early 2012 Volt which I bought 5/2012 and which has 31,500 miles on it. The car drove normally, though. I took it in to Vandergriff Chevrolet in Arlington, TX where I bought it, about a week later. It took about 2 weeks for them to finish the work (Christmas holiday and ordering a part were probably main reasons). P1EC6, P1EC4, P1E00, U0140 were apparently the codes. The battery heater apparently was the culprit. They replaced the heater, which was covered by the powertrain warranty. They did the evaporative emission canister recall. I declined the unintentional engine running recall.

They gave me a Silverado as a loaner. I did not enjoy driving that behemoth. I was lucky to get 20 mpg out of it. I am so happy to have my Volt back.
Hi joshili,

Good to see your Volt’s back up and running and I’m glad to see that the team and Vandergriff were able to get you a loaner as well. If you would like any future assistance, or have any questions, don’t hesitate to send me a private message. I’d be happy to help!

Best,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry to bring back an old thread but my 2012 Volt just popped up these three codes(P1AF0,P1E22 and P1AF2). I am wondering if the Battery Heater is covered under the Voltec Warranty or not. I called Onstar via the car and they were unable to pull up any fault codes and basically said that at this time I should be fine to keep driving and if the CEL stays on then I can call them or a dealer to get it looked at.

R

·
0 Posts
Wife's Volt Tue morning. -24 °C, cold spell had lasted for a week. Car had been undriven for 6 days, powered on for half an hour 3 days earlier to prevent depletion of the 12 V battery. Plugged in the whole time. Hoping it would be just condensation on the high voltage cables. Not yet had the time to try out.
kod1.jpg kod2.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts