GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife's 2017 Volt just showed this code at 37,000 miles. It appears to be something do with with hybrid battery cooling and/or A/C.

She freaked out a bit. It got me thinking about how many CELs we have had, and we drive a ton. We have had two CEL in the last 18 years in our Fords. One was for a faulty sensor, and the other for a loose spark plug. Before that, we had Toyotas and they would trip the CEL almost daily, usually with P0401, which we would ignore.

The Volt will be brought in for service tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Do a forum search for the code. There are quite a few hits. One of them says "Problem turned out to be a restriction in one of the ac coolant lines.", but, that was a 2014.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I got the same issue on my 2017 Volt. They had to change out 2 hoses on the AC system. From what I understand they were cracked and were located behind the front bumper area at the bottom of the engine compartment. Real tough place to get to. I imagine there was some rubbing against something and they frayed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car is at the dealership now. Probably A/C as you guys mentioned, and maybe a bad valve could be the culprit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The dealership claims it is a cracked A/C line. They claim that it is with the A/C system Climate Control and it isn't covered under warranty but will be covered via "goodwill". Not sure why A/C system would trigger a check engine light....

As far as I can tell, this issue is with the A/C lines that are part of the thermal management system for the battery, which should fall under the Voltec warranty. Also, they have no idea when the part will be in, and said we could drive the vehicle in the meantime. Would you risk driving an electric vehicle that lacks battery thermal management?

I just put in a call to Volt Customer Service just to get a straight answer if this issue is covered or not. They tried calling the Chevy dealership but couldn't get in touch with the service supervisor. They bumped it to "Senior Advisor" for resolution, promising to call me back in a few days.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
The dealership claims it is a cracked A/C line. They claim that it is with the A/C system Climate Control and it isn't covered under warranty but will be covered via "goodwill". Not sure why A/C system would trigger a check engine light....

As far as I can tell, this issue is with the A/C lines that are part of the thermal management system for the battery, which should fall under the Voltec warranty. Also, they have no idea when the part will be in, and said we could drive the vehicle in the meantime. Would you risk driving an electric vehicle that lacks battery thermal management?

My wife isn't getting a good vibes from this particular dealership, after have a really good relationship with our local Ford dealership. I just put in a call to Volt Customer Service just to get a straight answer if this issue is covered or not. They tried calling the Chevy dealership but couldn't get in touch with the service supervisor. They bumped it to "Senior Advisor" for resolution, promising to call me back in a few days.
The cracked AC line would mean loss of refrigerant, no AC cooling for passenger compartment or the Volt's battery. The Volt relies on liquid coolant, three coolant loops and the Volt's radiator to keep the gas engine, HV battery and the Volt's electronics operating within an acceptable temperature range. The Volt would only need the AC to cool the battery if the battery temperature rose above 90-95F while the Volt was being driven or while parked in the hot summer weather. You might be ok to drive the Volt on short drives, no long trips or high speed highway driving while driving on the battery without the AC working when needed to augment the radiator cooling system.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You might be ok to drive the Volt on short drives, no long trips or high speed highway driving while driving on the battery without the AC working when needed to augment the radiator cooling system.
She commutes a long distance each day. When the CEL first happened, I told to her drive using the gas engine (HOLD), which she did. Right now, the dealership has loaned her a Cruze, which is vastly inferior vehicle.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
She commutes a long distance each day. When the CEL first happened, I told to her drive using the gas engine (HOLD), which she did. Right now, the dealership has loaned her a Cruze, which is vastly inferior vehicle.
Hopefully your Volt will be repaired soon. At least the Cruze has working AC. I was in MA during July 1980 during a heat wave. I was driving around in a Ford Pinto rental car without AC. That was not much fun.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hopefully your Volt will be repaired soon. At least the Cruze has working AC. I was in MA during July 1980 during a heat wave. I was driving around in a Ford Pinto rental car without AC. That was not much fun.
We have come a long way from the Ford Pinto. :D

We picked the car up this afternoon. They showed us the part's diagram, and the actual part. It was a crack in the line that went from the A/C Condenser to the Compressor. It was probably an installation issue at the factory. Our dealership, Salvadore Chevrolet, stepped up and covered the work and part even though the car was just outside the bumper to bumper warranty.

BTW, love driving the Volt....and loved returning the rental Cruz...

Volt-AC.jpg IMG_20180525_092609559.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The replaced A/C line died after 42,000 miles. It was not covered under warranty this time. Cost to me $1450, including rental.

I am wondering if this will be a recurring issue. The Volt has now 85,000 miles

I do have some hope that it won't be.

The replaced part has a new part number: 84418228, which might be a replacement for 23412213. I am not sure what was used last time it failed.

·
Registered
780 Posts
The replaced A/C line died after 42,000 miles. It was not covered under warranty this time. Cost to me $1450, including rental.
Ouch!

That's only a year and 5000 miles. Makes me wonder if there's some unidentified reason why this park keeps wearing out. Like something rubbing against it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Agreed with snic....

Is it aluminum alloy...or??

It certainly looks like it shouldn't crack there, unless......vibration/friction from something else......that bend doesn't look TOO severe

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ouch!

That's only a year and 5000 miles. Makes me wonder if there's some unidentified reason why this park keeps wearing out. Like something rubbing against it.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. It has been 42,000 additional miles since last repair. My wife drives a 40,000 miles per year. Car has 85,000 miles on it now.

I think the part is rigid where it should be flexible. Vibration eventually causes fatigue crack.

I do think it is interesting that the first time the part died, it was after 37,000 miles. It died after an additional 42,000 miles. Thos two distances are very close, which tells me that could be long term vibration causing fatigue cracks.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I would guess that pure EV's (with battery temp management systems) could also be subject to this kind of failure over time.
Looks like switching to pure EV doesn't necessarily buy us troublefree driving. Sorry to hear about this issue as I worry that my 2017 Volt may one day let me down too. We have about 26,000 miles on it now and it has really been "perfect" with absolutely zero issues. Knock on wood.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I thought the ac system was part of the 8 year and 100,000 mile Voltec warrantee. Since it is required to cool the battery, ac is suppose to be covered for that time. Thought that one a perk of Voltec, ac gets a really long warrantee.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
I thought the ac system was part of the 8 year and 100,000 mile Voltec warrantee. Since it is required to cool the battery, ac is suppose to be covered for that time. Thought that one a perk of Voltec, ac gets a really long warrantee.
The AC compressor is not covered by the Voltec warranty. The high voltage battery and the two electric motors are covered by the Voltec warranty however not all of the Volt's high voltage components and wiring harnesses are covered by Voltec.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
The AC compressor is not covered by the Voltec warranty. The high voltage battery and the two electric motors are covered by the Voltec warranty however not all of the Volt's high voltage components and wiring harnesses are covered by Voltec.
My 2015 Owner's Manual SPECIFICALLY states that the electric A/C compressor IS covered by the Voltec warranty. I don't know what the Gen 2 warranty covers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
HI,
I sadly hit a raccoon yesterday with my 2017 volt and sprung a leak in my AC system. There is green? coolant coming from the front lower driver side where the grill got crushed. It blew a p0534 code today. Volt runs fine with no heating or leaking issues when its up to temperature
My questions are as follows:
Why Green coolant? Dexcool is orange. Is this just r134a or what ? What part of the ac system runs right in front of the lower radiator?
Where can I find good exploded diagrams of the cooling system?
Should I drive this car 60 miles one way to commute for the next few days if I should decide to turn it in to Ingersoll Auto of Danbury CT to repair. With the strike just ending I already spoke to them and parts are back ordered.
Where can I find instructions to remove the front grill, lower air dam so I can access this area or instructions on how to do it?
Thanks all

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is exactly the same issue I have on a 2018 LT with 46000 miles.
Can't get dealership to agree this is part of the warranty even though I sent them a copy of the warranty wording. I have case open with GM Customer Service.

The part is hard to find and we were quote ~$1200 out of pocket.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts