GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 displayed Check engine icon on dash, reported as P043E from my OBDlink MX/Torque app, (Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Reference Orifice Flow Insufficient). I brought the Volt to my dealer who sold me the car new to check and repair. The dealer had to order a part to complete repair which took a few days. Turns out the part was EVAP Leak Detection Pump 22865478. After the work was completed the dealer informed me that this repair was not covered by the Powertrain Warranty and also was not covered by the GMPP extended warranty that I had purchased through them at the time of purchase. Because they did not anticipate that the work would not be covered by warranties they informed me that they would only charge me their cost of $180 rather than the full cost of $500. A nice gesture, I guess, but I did not anticipate having to pay anything.

I don't understand how a failed component of the engine emission system is not covered under the Powertrain Warranty and I further don't understand how this is not covered under the GM extended warranty. I called the Volt Advisor who took three days to get back to me that she called th dealer and was given the same information and could offer no additional information. Big help.

What do you think about this lack of warranty coverage and Volt Adviser support?

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
637 Posts
It should be covered under the emissions warranty but in any case the GMPP should cover it. Check your GMPP paperwork for exempted items. From memory they list what's not covered, and anything else is.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
It should be covered under the emissions warranty but in any case the GMPP should cover it. Check your GMPP paperwork for exempted items. From memory they list what's not covered, and anything else is.
I agree. BTW GM PARTS DIRECT lists that part for $90.

Good luck going forward.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I suspect this is not a covered item under GMPP but should be covered under the emissions warranty. Here is a summary of non-covered items on the GM extended service plan. Note the last one:

Battery & Battery Cable/Harness

Lenses, Sealed Beams & Light Bulbs

Speakers, Audio/Video Equipment and any Pixel Damage on Display Screens

Electronic Transmitting/Receiving Devices, Remote Control Consoles, and radar Detection Devices

Brake Rotors and Drums

All Exhaust Components (unless listed as specific covered parts)

Trim Items

Tires & Wheels/Rims

Maintenance Services

The following emission Components: EGR Purge Valve/Solenoids/Sensors, Vacuum Canister, Vapor Return Canister, Vapor Return Lines/Valves, Air Pump/Lines/Valves, Catalytic Converter/Filtering/Sensors, Emission Vapor Sensors, Gas Cap/Filler Neck

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I had this replaced under the 80K mile federal emissions warranty last year. Initially they said it was not covered at all, I pointed it out it should be covered and a call to the Volt Advisors straightened this out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
We had the same opportunity last year with our 2012. The dealer indicated the pump failure was due to overfilling of the gas tank. Had purchase our car used and always had run like a champ, until the pump failed. Had a new pump unit installed and has run flawlessly since.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts