GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I took my Volt into the dealer today to leave it overnight for the 5-year 3-coolant-system flush. Due to my work hours I couldn't just drop it off in the morning. So they gave me a loaner to use today and tomorrow: a 2018 Chevrolet Impala, brand new, just 45 miles on it.

In a word: ugh.

For the last 25 months I have driven only my Volt, and now driving a traditional ICE vehicle, I hate it. I am SOOO used to the smooth continuous torque band that the Volt's transmission provides, and the lack of shift points. Having to tromp on the accelerator off the line and waiting for the engine/transmission to actually do something is disconcerting; I'm used to the immediate response of the Volt.

This Impala just seems so sluggish and stuck in mud by comparison. I'm not a jackrabbit starter either. I guess my driving habits have adjusted to what the Volt is capable of providing, and your average run-of-the-mill sedan just pales in comparison. I'm sure that the Impala (or any other ICE vehicle) would trounce the Volt at the top end, but as far as nimble in-town driving, no contest.

On an unrelated note, I am VERY nervous about this service. When I initially called in to get an estimate on the service, they just trotted out the usual "$149.95" which is their standard price for an ICE coolant flush. When I asked them "Does that include all 3 coolant systems?" I got an "Uhhh.... why don't I have you talk to the service manager."

To the service manager's credit, she was at least somewhat familar with the 3 different coolant systems and that the Volt required different coolant and equipment than a standard flush. Rather than just blurt out a price, she asked if she could do some research and get back to me. She also wanted to consult with the service tech that would be doing the work.

Later that day she called me back and told me that they had consulted the service guides for the process and that the service would run me $330 for all 3 systems (which sounds more in line with what I was expecting). They were up front in acknowledging that they have not performed this service before. I appreciate their candor, but I have to admit that it makes me nervous.

This is the dealer I purchased the vehicle from, so in theory I *should* be covered against any eventuality, but still...

Anything I should be alert for when picking up the vehicle and reading the invoice/paperwork?

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have an earlier 2012, and the dealer I took it to also had not done a Volt before. The Service Manager confirmed that they would do it according to special instructions they had. Got the car back and there have been no issues. It was a little more expensive than your quote but certainly close. I usually replace my own coolant, but just let them do it. I'm sure you will be ok.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I suspect they will research and do it right. They just need to insure there is no air in the lines as that could disrupt the coolant flow which would ultimately cause sensors to heat up and the trigger some check engine lights and codes. Make sure the two reservoirs up front are at the top of the labels (about 3/4 full or better) and the big engine reservoir on the fender is at the normal mark depending on hot or cold. I would run it for a couple of miles on hold mode and then check the levels to make sure they are maintained and then again a day or two later. Make sure when you run on hold mode that you get heat in the cabin as expected. If all that works out you are good to go.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Uhh... the 2012 doesn't have hold mode.

·
Administrator
21,042 Posts
Uhh... the 2012 doesn't have hold mode.
A few later ones do.

By the way, the Bolt makes the Volt feel like the Impalla. :)

·
Registered
1,999 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
By the way, the Bolt makes the Volt feel like the Impalla. :)
awhhhh, it's not that bad. I still like my 2014. Volt is like strapping yourself into a cockpit, Bolt is a regular car, that happens to be Fast, Smooth and Silent.

·
Registered
65 Posts
For an in-depth discussion on this topic, search for a thread titled "5 year fluid change, should I or shouldn't I" started by Prohidium on 7-29-2017. The thread runs 6 pages and various prices and owner experiences are reported there.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
For the last 25 months I have driven only my Volt, and now driving a traditional ICE vehicle, I hate it. I am SOOO used to the smooth continuous torque band that the Volt's transmission provides, and the lack of shift points. Having to tromp on the accelerator off the line and waiting for the engine/transmission to actually do something is disconcerting; I'm used to the immediate response of the Volt.

This Impala just seems so sluggish and stuck in mud by comparison. I'm not a jackrabbit starter either. I guess my driving habits have adjusted to what the Volt is capable of providing, and your average run-of-the-mill sedan just pales in comparison. I'm sure that the Impala (or any other ICE vehicle) would trounce the Volt at the top end, but as far as nimble in-town driving, no contest.
I think I just figured out why GM doesn't advertise the Volt. If they did, their sales of the rest of their car lines would tank. Then they would have to change their name from General Motors to Volt Motors. :D

·
Registered
926 Posts
So they gave me a loaner to use today and tomorrow: a 2018 Chevrolet Impala, brand new, just 45 miles on it.

In a word: ugh.
Similar experience. When I was on business travel away from my Volt, it was so difficult getting my foot used to the ICE of a Nissan Versa.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts