GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to this forum and so far am loving the new things I am learning about the Volt, I do not yet own one of these automotive geniouses but am looking to owning one in the future. I understand that the Volt is 40K+ when you first buy it w/o the tax breaks and such. The Volt is obviouslya new car and it has had the rules change along with it. I was wondering what you have to pay for insurance on The Volt, I know some people think that its personal information but I am looking into buying one and want to know what everyone on here is paying for their insurance.
how much a year, eveyr month, every 6 months, doesnt matter to me.
Also one more quick question, I know the rear lights on the car are LED, as well as the DRL, and the projector lights are not HIDs but Halogen, I was wondering if the front turn signals on the Volt are LED or incandecent also. from what it looks like on youtube it looks like they are incandecent because they do not have that instant on/off look.
just looking to clear that up with myself. thanks again - Ron

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have 2 volts. One is a commuter vehicle and it cost $1760 per year ($500 deductible for collision). This was about the same as the Cadillac STS it replaced. The other one is $1252 which also has a $1000 deductible on collision and is not a commuter car.

·
Registered
442 Posts
There are so many things that can make your payment vary. I believe with most insurance companies, you can call and give a specific vin number and they will tell you exactly what it will cost you vs. the car you replace or price to add to policy. It is one of two cars, but I know its part will be about 650-700 for 6 months. I expect I am on the lower end compared to most people. Late last year, I ran many cars through saying "I am trying to figure out what car, can you run these on my policy to see the change". I was replacing a 3 year old Acura TSX. Out of 30+ cars, the Volt and one other car (I forget which one) were the only ones that INCREASED my premium. Since I didn't use a specific VIN, it was only abou 50 bucks for 6 months, but once I supplied the VIN for the one we are getting, it went up 150 for 6 months.

I think they just haven't collected enough data yet, so they might just be using some of the Cruze data and adjusting it up due to price of car. I believe it was cheaper for a Vette.

Paul (Cari's husband)

·
Registered
155 Posts
When I called about insurance one of the questions was does it have the Premium package (leather) as this increased the premium with Allstate, just because of the cost of the car was more. Mine does not and my premium estimate is $60/6mo more than my 2006 Prius.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Paul and Cari,
So glad to see you at 4800 with all that you have gone through.
03/14/2011 - (4800) Rail ramp unload. Vehicle has been unloaded from train.
I am hoping my Volt will maybe be just a little quicker to Austin.
I have also decided to lease to take advantage of the full $7500. Otherwise it would have been about $5200.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Paul and Cari,
So glad to see you at 4800 with all that you have gone through.
03/14/2011 - (4800) Rail ramp unload. Vehicle has been unloaded from train.
I am hoping my Volt will maybe be just a little quicker to Austin.
I have also decided to lease to take advantage of the full $7500. Otherwise it would have been about $5200.
Thanks for your support. We are with Allstate as well and clearly the leather package made a difference in the insurance. Given this second one shipped 25 days ago, it certainly isn't showing up any quicker than the ones in January. We also would not have had enough tax liability to get anywhere close to the $7500, so leasing pretty much was our best choice.

Paul (Cari's husband)

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I believe my insurance with AAA (California) was about $800/year with three cars discount and highest allowable deductable.

Jerry, #536

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can some of the other Volt owners in the Austin area tell me what they are getting for insurance quotes. Today my agent quoted me $960 every 6 months for a $200 collision/$50 comprehensive policy...state farm. It went down to $760 if i had $1000/$200 deductible. It seems like so much money, and when i talked with to my agent he claimed they knew all about the volt...but he also tried to tell me it would cost me more than a regular car to have it worked on. I feel like the bottom line is they are guessing, they do not really know any of the real stats on the car...after all how many have been in accidents so far! I was paying $400 every six months for my matrix...i do not know what to say! Thanks, devkirn #1262

·
Registered
213 Posts
Through Geico, ours is just about $650. every six months with a $500. deductible here in South Florida.

·
Registered
895 Posts
We picked up our Volt on March 25, and the official State Farm Insurance "Declarations Page" came in the mail this past weekend.

We have 100/300/50k, $500 deductible for Collision and Comprehensive, with multi-vehicle and home owners discounts. Our 6 month premium is $396.44.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts