GM Volt Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
I also love my Volt, the first American car I have ever owned. But I agree with the OP - there are issues. It's good to see that others are also frustrated by some of the same things. Re the lack of phone mount, I found one that works well for me - an iOttie "One Touch 4 CD Slot Car Mount Phone Holder" that sticks in the DVD slot. Works great and doesn't block the view of anything except the volume knob. I don't have the Nav feature so google maps is easy to see with the phone on landscape mode.
Re the unlocked doors and windows down, I too have had that issue multiple times. It does seem to be a design issue, not a 'dumb driver' issue - just google 'Volt windows down and doors unlocked' and you'll see....

· Registered
45 Posts
I found the automatic roll down feature very annoying when I first bought my 2013 Volt, i.e coming back to the car in the rain and finding all the windows rolled down. However, it is a setting that can be changed. The dealer was able to disable the feature, but I do not think the setting is accessible through the user console. A few years after having the feature disabled, there was a software refresh (may have been the safety recall to disable the engine from starting by itself while parked in the garage). Unfortunately, with the software refresh, the 4-window auto roll down feature was back! Just had it programmed out again when I had the cell balancing recall for 2013 Volts taken care of this past summer. One of the few minor complaints I have after driving this car for 150,000 miles - it is an excellent car overall.

· Registered
146 Posts

· Registered
255 Posts
I mostly love the car, but there are some super annoying caveats. Please let me know if there are any work-arounds to these annoyances.

The door locks pinch the $#!& out of my arm...
I can't help there... I've never experienced this.

There's no good place to put a mobile phone or a phone mount.
I 've noticed this. I've been thinking about mounting a 2-way radio (amateur radio), but there doesn't seem to be many good mounting points...

Disengaging the parking brake is tedious. It really seems like the car is never ready to respond when I am trying to disengage.
Perhaps it isn't ready. I have a sequence that's worked well for me:
o Sit in car, close door.
o Press brake, press blue start button (starts car), release brake.
o Buckle in. About the time I finish this, the car has finished it's initialization, and is well into it's lamp test.
o Check the area around me for traffic, pedistrians, bicycles, etc.
o Check for start-up errors.
o Press brake, push parking brake release (releases parking brake), put car into gear, release brake, begin driving.

Speaking of developing a startup routine...

I still get confused when I thought the car was turned-on but it was actually that fake-out bootup thing and the car is still waiting for me to press the blue Start button.
That's happened to me a few times too. Mostly because I forgot I'd started preconditioning.

You must have started the preconditioning. From the key fob, press and release lock. Car responds by flashing parking lights.
Press and hold the start button for 2-3 second. Car responds by turning on parking lights, and starts A/C (precondition).

Holding the lock for a second unlocks doors (driver only, or all doors, depends on how you configured the car).
Continuing to hold the lock button causes the windows to be opened.

Get a PDF of the user manual - this is all in there.

The first day I bought the used car, I needed to leave a Macbook in the car for a few minutes. Apparently there is no place in the car where a laptop/notebook computer can be completely concealed. I actually had to put it under one of the floor mats!
That's why I have black moving pad from Harbor Freight in the trunk space.

I keep finding my doors unlocked. I keep finding all of my windows rolled-down. I keep finding the charge port door open.
These are all things that can be triggered by your key fob. So can short horn beeps (for finding your lost car) (press and release the horn button), and continuous honking (hold the horn button for a few seconds, stop by pressing the horn button again).

I suppose I'll need to find out if these issues are with the car or with one of my keyfobs. I'll try taking the battery out of the keyfob I have been using and I'll use the other keyfob for a while.
It sounds like you may be pressing key fob buttons by accident. Its kind of hard to unintentionally press buttons. Try storing / carrying the fob somewhere else for a few days.

My biggest annoyance is the infotainment system. ....
I used to have my phone paired with my car. Often, when I'm listening to my phone over Bluetooth (BT), all is well until I begin driving. It seems the car hijacks the BT connection as soon as the car moves forward, and media that was playing stops. I have to stop driving the car and restart the previous BT connection.

I like having the car/phone connection, but not when existing BT connections are broken. I've unpaired the phone from the car.

.... I just want to use my phone with it over Bluetooth. I stopped trying to use my iPhone with a USB connection.
You could use the audio line in to the infotainment system.

Or you could put your content on a USB flash drive, and plug it into the infotainment system. I do this - it mostly works well, but there seems to be a intermittent loose connection that opens when the door is closed. It's not perfectly reliable, but the work-around has been to remove and replace the flash drive.

Finally (and once again), get a PDF of the user manual - this is all in there.

· Registered
255 Posts
I found the automatic roll down feature very annoying when I first bought my 2013 Volt, i.e coming back to the car in the rain and finding all the windows rolled down. However, it is a setting that can be changed. The dealer was able to disable the feature, but I do not think the setting is accessible through the user console.
It is. It's buried in the car configuration menu.

· Registered
2015 Red Volt
2,331 Posts
Sunshine said:
I found the automatic roll down feature very annoying when I first bought my 2013 Volt, i.e coming back to the car in the rain and finding all the windows rolled down. However, it is a setting that can be changed. The dealer was able to disable the feature, but I do not think the setting is accessible through the user console.

It is. It's buried in the car configuration menu.
Only in the 2016-2019 models. The Gen1 setting can only be done with dealer tools.

· Registered
57 Posts
for my iPhone i use two Scosche Dash Mounts. One is on the left top of the center console; the other is mounted on the lower right near the parking brake button. i have two positions because i find my phone overheats in direct sunlight. the included magnetic plates are pretty good but my confidence in the system soared when i ordered these Volport Magnetic Plates. the grip on those is amazing. sometimes i need two hands to remove the phone.

as for the lock button pinch, you're right, it's a big ouch. develop a new habit and put your arm elsewhere.

· Registered
242 Posts
Interesting thread so far... Now one item I'm confused about is the Charge Port Door opening on it's own???? The only way I'm aware of opening that door is by pushing on the edge to open it. When I first bought mine, I was continually leaving that door open, after unplugging the charger. I'd get in and start the car, and immediately get the reminder that the door was open...... Why is the OP experiencing the door opening on it's own?

Also, I think I've used my parking brake once in the last year. What am I doing wrong??

· Registered
3,293 Posts
Also, I think I've used my parking brake once in the last year. What am I doing wrong??
You're living in the wrong place! If you lived on the West Coat you would be using your parking brake all the time (and experiencing warmer winters). ;)

· Registered
90 Posts
Interesting thread so far... Now one item I'm confused about is the Charge Port Door opening on it's own???? The only way I'm aware of opening that door is by pushing on the edge to open it. When I first bought mine, I was continually leaving that door open, after unplugging the charger. I'd get in and start the car, and immediately get the reminder that the door was open...... Why is the OP experiencing the door opening on it's own?

I also have a 15 but I believe the earlier Volts have an electric type release for the charge port door.

· Registered
1,924 Posts
I also have a 15 but I believe the earlier Volts have an electric type release for the charge port door.
Right you are! 2011 thru 2013, you press a release button on the door (below the fuel door release) and the charge port door swings open.

· Registered
2015 Red Volt
2,331 Posts
Right you are! 2011 thru 2013, you press a release button on the door (below the fuel door release) and the charge port door swings open.
And there's also a release button for the charge door located on the remote fob, which is what confused the OP.

· Super Moderator
2012 Std w Nav
5,511 Posts
Early Gen 1 Volts have the charge door release on buttons both on the driver door and on the keyfob. Press button, a solenoid releases the door which opens on a spring.

· Registered
43 Posts
"Also, I think I've used my parking brake once in the last year. What am I doing wrong??"

I was kind of thinking the same thing, I personally never use the parking brake. Even when I've had manuals, I just tossed it in reverse. But I suppose if you were in a hilly area and didn't trust your transmission park pin.

· Registered
1,924 Posts
In some conditions it's "use it or lose it".
I use it every time for several reasons:
- If conditions are slippery, the car's less likely to slide when parked
- I don't like loading up the parking pawl when parked on a slope
- I don't like the car jouncing with the driveline backlash when I release the service brake after parking
- If used regularly I don't have to be afraid to apply it out of fear of its not releasing.

· Registered
13 Posts
I use the proclip mount for my phone, even have the qi charger wired to the top 12v outlet, not sure what phone you have but they have all kinds of adapters.

I have a Samsung android, and just use the bluetooth audio to stream, that works fine, I listen to Sirius XM when it's free, they usually do that around some of the Holidays, and that works fine too.

My parking brake works fine, use it every time to keep the car from rockin freely on the transmission, there's no torque converter to cushion the transmission from that, so don't want to take chances, and it's quick like others have said, so you should get yours checked maybe?

As others have said the charge port and windows issue is maybe sitting on the fob? I've also not secured my port securely before and had it pop open when hitting a bump in the road, so gotta be sure to close it tight.

For the turning on thing, that's important but you figure it out right quick, the more important thing is to be sure you'r turning it off when you get out, it's fairly alertive if you leave it on and get out with the fob, but to be sure, make sure the instrument cluster shuts down when you open your door.

Hope you get some things sorted, particularly the parking brake, that should be fairly trouble free.

Edit, forgot about the location to hide things, I actually made a frame out of some pvc and a tension curtain rod for the back, screwed in some eye screws and stretch the factory fabric cover over it, attached to the hatch via stick-ums hooks and some climbing rope, so it lifts when I lift the hatch, between that and my window tinting you'd be hard pressed to see something under there.

· Registered
146 Posts
......My parking brake works fine, use it every time to keep the car from rockin freely on the transmission, there's no torque converter to cushion the transmission from that......
Apologies in advance for the "powertrain 101" Poindexter lesson:

The parking pawl in the transmission, as in any [modern] passenger car auto transmission, locks the final drive. Meaning, a chunk of metal is forced into a gear that is positively continuous to the wheels, to prevent rotational movement. There is no torque converter connection. The torque converter is between the engine output and the transmission input. A torque converter is a fluid coupling. The Voltec powertrain has no torque converter. In vehicles with a torque converter, it is, essentially, a well lubricated bearing when the engine is off (and the reason you can't push/pull start an auto). The hydraulic fluid flow necessary to act upon the torque converter turbine is caused by the engine input to the transmission main fluid pump. The "rocking" you feel when P is engaged is no more than gear lash, torsional absorption, and tire cushion, all against the parking pawl.

Keep in mind, P only locks the drive wheels, while the Parking brake locks the rear wheels. Using the P brake while parking on slippery surfaces or hills is advantageous. 4 wheel traction is better than 2. There is one caveat, though. If you live in very cold winter climates, using parking brakes can cause issues when you want to drive again before a thaw. Any moisture that may be present in the wheel areas may cause the parking brake pads to freeze to the rotors (or shoes to the drums, as the case may be). If this happens, you will not break them free with engine power (even with bigazz engine are rear wheel drive), which is none on a front drive vehicle. If they lock up due to freezing, the wheels will not turn until the ice bond is melted, by one means or another. It doesn't happen often, but it happens. If you park at a curb on a hill during freezing weather, turn the wheels toward the downhill curb, and let the curb secure the vehicle movement (really, really old school parking strategy, but it's worked for over 100 years), and forgo the parking brake engagement.

· Registered
230 Posts
I use mine for GPS and streaming music/podcasts. I have a program to put it in a simplified driving mode automatically when it connects to the car, which just gives me 8 large icons and re-maps my home button to that screen. I mount mine to the left of the wheel using a suction cup to the dash and it works fine.

I have never understood the benefit of cell phone mounts. If you need it, it’s on your leg. If you don’t, it’s in the console.

The vast majority of distracted driving accidents fail to mention the driver was fiddling with some safety holster device at the time of collision, or text while the phone was still in one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
13 Posts
Apologies in advance for the "powertrain 101" Poindexter lesson:...
NERD! :p

Thanks, I thought it was that the torque converter that helped save the tranny in automatics, vs in manuals where you should use the parking brake as the only other thing you can do is leave it in gear, and that isn't the most secure, and even on a slight incline, sometimes getting it out of gear can be 'clunky' on some cars. Maybe it's just when driving that the torque converter helps save the tranny from engine vs drivetrain conflicts.

Either way, I like using the parking brake button, as to me it's like parking my cool space ship car and in my head I think "docking clamps engaged". :)

21 - 40 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.