GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 Voltec charger is having heat problems when charging. It has blackened one outlet, and is running hotter than normal the last few days. It is the newer one, so it is not supposed to have the problems the original one has. Any ideas of how to fix it?

·
Administrator
20,023 Posts
My 2012 Voltec charger is having heat problems when charging. It has blackened one outlet, and is running hotter than normal the last few days. It is the newer one, so it is not supposed to have the problems the original one has. Any ideas of how to fix it?
What year car?
Wat amps you are charging at?
Is the outlet you plugged into was on it's own circuit or being shared with other outlets/appliances?
Is the outlet was old or brand new?
Is the outlet is wired via the screw terminals or back-stabbed?

Assuming the worst for all the above, the cause would be operator error.

See the 120V charging FAQ: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?48937-120V-Charging-FAQ

·
Registered
21 Posts
It sounds like you are either overheating the circuit or there is something wrong with your EVSE. First step would be to try charging with nothing else on the circuit.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Is it the plug or outlet that is hot? It is usually the outlet that is at fault. If needs to hold the plug tight to get a good connection. Could be loose or dirty contacts.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
So have you taken the blackened outlet out of the wall and examined it?

What year car?
Is the outlet you plugged into was on it's own circuit or being shared with other outlets/appliances?

See the 120V charging FAQ: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?48937-120V-Charging-FAQ
What he said...:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mine was/is doing that too. I had a dedicated circuit installed from the subpanel in the garage to plug in the car. While charging on 12Amp, it still gets hot. I took a file and cleaned the plug contacts but still have the same problem. Current draw is 12A measured on the wires off of the dedicated circuit breaker. The circuit breaker and wires to the new plug are not getting hot, just the EVSE plug and the outlet. So, I have to charge at 8 amps.
Next step might be to direct wire the EVSE to the circuit breaker but this makes it a permanent install. Another idea may be to just spring for a level 2 and have that wired in.
It seems to me the factory EVSE should not get that hot under normal operations.
Sorry to hear you are having the same problem; if you find out why it is getting hot, please let others know.
Roberto

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Replace the outlet with a new heavy duty one. As outlets get older, they start to develop higher resistance, which leads to higher charging.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I gather you are talking about the plug itself?

I see this with Air Compressors, Air Conditioners, Welders, RV's, Industrial Vacuums, etc.

Like above, it's almost always the wall outlet is oxidized, loose, and thrashed. If a there is any resistance between the blades of the plug and the outlet, that translates to heat. Heat causes oxidation, loose connectors, and thrashing. It's a vicious cycle. So the instant where you see a plug getting hot is the time to fix it, because it will get worse rapidly.

SO... Replace the outlet, and take sandpaper to the blades of your plug until it's shiny.

·
Registered
348 Posts
You should have a dedicated 15 amp breaker where you plug the evsc charger
Replace the current circuit breaker as it might be too old and getting weaker causing the overheating problem
Have an electrician check the circuit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, the outlet is fine, it's the charger that is having problems. I had a 10ft extension cord attached to it that was 10 gauge, but it started looking burned so I was unable to use that anymore. I only charge now at 80. Still trying to figure out the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What year car?

It's a 2012, was charging at 120 have now gone down to 80, it's got it's own outlet. I think it's screw terminals.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had a 2012 Volt, with the replaced 120 volt charger. It went bad on me about 3 weeks ago, although it happened suddenly. Perhaps your unit is on its way to the same fate as mine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Happen to notice I have the same thing happening after unplugging the other day. Dedicated 20A breaker to HD outlet in garage. Just built the house less than 2 years ago and had a few dedicated outlets ran in garage to use for freezers and other tools . I plan on pulling the outlet tonight to see if they attached the wires using the screws or just used the quick connects on the back of the outlet. I plan on getting a 240V station here soon but this might speed things up.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Please do not continue charging with that condition present. It could be dangerous. I would get an electrician to check that out. I suspect a new, quality outlet, properly wired, will fix it. But it could be more than that and needs an expert inspection.

·
Administrator
20,023 Posts
Thanks, the outlet is fine, it's the charger that is having problems.
The charger is mounted behind the passenger side bumper. You mean the charge cord or EVSE.

Charger-vs.-EVSE.jpg

It's a 2012, was charging at 120 have now gone down to 80, it's got it's own outlet. I think it's screw terminals.
80 what, volts? How are you determining that? I don't think the EVSE will even charge at 80 volts. What amp setting are you using on the EVSE, 8 am or 12 Amp?

It has blackened one outlet, and is running hotter than normal the last few days.
Blackened outlets indicate excessive draw (caused by haveing other appliances on the same circuit), or poor contact with the prongs (old, worn, or dirty outlet innard), or excessive resistance caused by poor outlet connection to the circuit (back stabbed, or loose).

More often than not, it's one of the above rather than a problem with the EVSE.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Steverino: Could you update the FAQ with the comments I made in post #40 on the thread?

Rising Moon: I would suggest replacing the receptacle with one that is of commercial "spec" quality or better. You can get these at reasonable prices at big box hardware stores, amazon, and any electrical supply house. Just say NO to residential quality stuff.

Also, as the FAQ wisely states, be sure to use the screw terminals - not the back stabs, and check any upstream receptacles as well. Even the clamping style push in terminals on spec grade outlets are suspect. I have a spec grade GFCI receptacle which refuses to clamp the ground wire tight. One _must_ use the screw terminals to get a good solid connection.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Again, the problem remains unresolved with mine. New dedicated circuit, new heavy duty receptacle with screw terminals, and all installed by an electrician. Maybe I'll try a different brand receptacle or wire the EVSE in direct to the panel.
Wish I had the $$ to just buy a level 2.

·
Administrator
20,023 Posts
Steverino: Could you update the FAQ with the comments I made in post #40 on the thread?

Thanks, wws. Edits made.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'd like to thank all for the excellent advice. I think I'm going to put in a level 2 charger, and in the meantime replace the receptacle. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts