GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find that the light sensor on my 2013 Volt is overly sensitive. Even during broad daylight, when I go under a shade (like under a tree; the situation can not even be called mildly dark), the light sensor thinks its night and turns the headlights on. In the process, it also dims my internal displays. And as I come out of the shade, the lights turn off. There is one stretch of road where the traffic is stop-and-go and there are many trees in the median, and by the time I cross that area, my headlights would have turned on and off many times ... some times I worry the driver in front of me may get offended because my headlight is constantly turning on and off. I have learnt to turn of auto-headlights but you have to remember to turn if it back on later, which is a hassle. Is there any way to adjust the sensitivity of the light sensor in a Volt? Is any one else facing this issue?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yes I'm finding the same. But I'm in Canada and can not turn the auto lights off.
It also turns the navigation screen to the black background.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
no idea if there is a easy adjustment but they may be something masking the light path -take a look and see.

In our Condo they keep putting black tape over the sensor to look for bad light bulbs and each time they do that it adds a bit of sticky film on the glass so over time the sensor gets less light and the condo lights would come on way before sun-set.

The Aggie in me would say to use a maroon LED by the sensor to bias the light level :)

·
Registered
887 Posts
I've noticed this mostly when pulling into my garage, but not much elsewhere. If it's daytime and I remember, I turn off the automatic lights. Saves just a little bit of juice.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no idea if there is a easy adjustment but they may be something masking the light path -take a look and see.
I checked the light sensor and it is as clean as it can be. There is nothing blocking it. The Volt is barely a few months old and I had also installed a cabin air filter - so there is practically no dust in the car. I have been having this issue since day one. Hopefully, this is something a trained tech can tweak. These sensors are mass produced, probably with a +/- 20% tolerance and I might have gotten the overly sensitive one :)

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked the light sensor and it is as clean as it can be. There is nothing blocking it. The Volt is barely a few months old and I had also installed a cabin air filter - so there is practically no dust in the car. I have been having this issue since day one. Hopefully, this is something a trained tech can tweak. These sensors are mass produced, probably with a +/- 20% tolerance and I might have gotten the overly sensitive one :)
I think I know why my Volt keeps turning on the headlights even in broad day light. Its the inspection sticker! In Virginia, the inspection sticker is pasted at the bottom of the windshield, slight off center to the right. While it does not block the light sensor directly, it does cast a shadow on it in some cases. This appears to be sufficient to trigger the low light setting, even when it is very bright outside. I think the light sensor should collect more data points from multiple locations for this issue to go away. If the sticker can be placed even a few inches further to the right, I think I will not have this problem. I am not sure if the inspection people will accomodate this request .. I will know in a few years.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I cleaned the inside of my windshield (even though my windshield looked clean) and it seems to be less sensitive now but still not like my old Malibu it was almost dark out before they would turn on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts