GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's got to sting for Chevy. Yes, I know most are still in California, but that's where at least half the demand is. I have to believe the discounts will be coming soon for this. The Bolt EV does seem to be having a trickle down effect to boost Volt sales (note: there are about 4600 Volts in stock).

The Model 3 introduction isn't likely to help matters either. Still, I think the $43k+ sticker price on loaded models (that lookan awful lot like a Honda Fit even though we all know it is so much more) has more to do with the sales figures than anything.

·
Registered
692 Posts
That's quite allright. Europe and South Korea want them, but GM isn't bringing them over.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
It may be a wee bit premature to gauge the Bolt's success or failure in the EV market place against the Tesla M3 but 5700 sitting on dealers lot's in one of a handful of states GM chose as their launch site is perplexing. And even more troubling about these numbers is if the Bolt can't succeed in California do folks think it'll play in Peroria?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
well the simple fact remains, EVs with just 200+ mile range will not be significant. they aren't full replacements for all purpose cars yet

·
Registered
13,625 Posts
It may be a wee bit premature to gauge the Bolt's success or failure in the EV market place against the Tesla M3 but 5700 sitting on dealers lot's in one of a handful of states GM chose as their launch site is perplexing. And even more troubling about these numbers is if the Bolt can't succeed in California do folks think it'll play in Peroria?
Hey, I grew up in Peoria. We were the first to ever see chicken mcnuggets and mcrib sandwiches as McDs tested the consumer market there. But from my standpoint Chevy should have made the bolt a sports car, a regular sedan, or a CUV rather than the Honda Fit-like shape it is today. But that's just me. Why they chose the limited release schedule as opposed to shipping to all 50 states at once is beyond me. With 5700 vehicles on cars.com, it appears that sales might be lackluster.

In other EV news, I happened to be searching cars.com for CT6 phevs this morning. Only 97 reported there, and the closest to my location is over 400 miles away near Atlanta. Gm really doesn't understand, but 1 white one and several black and dark gray ones st the dealership, nobogy in Hotlanta is crazy enough to buy a black car. The lowest priced ones already have a $5k haircut.

I was hoping that demand for GM's latest ev offerings would be better as continued missteps just plays into Teslas advantage. I suspect lots of people are waiting for their Model 3s and won't be looking at the bolt or CT6 PHEV anyway. If GM had a 200= mile Malibu EV on the market, I think it would give the model 3 a run for its money.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Well a whopping 9 Bolts listed in the State of Florida, 3rd most populous state in the US and actually allot of Volts sold here, so if Texas and Florida don't have many, your leaving out a huge swath of the population of the US.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
And 8 in Illinois. Maybe some deep discounts will kick start sales. I just bought a loaded 2017 GMC Acadia Denali for 25% off MSRP. If not for that discount I was looking at a used SUV of some sort.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
It may be a wee bit premature to gauge the Bolt's success or failure in the EV market place against the Tesla M3 but 5700 sitting on dealers lot's in one of a handful of states GM chose as their launch site is perplexing.
Flooding the market in California is a stupid move. When the car dealers routinely over-produce for the California market it forces the dealers to cut prices in order to move inventory. Californians come to expect those kinds of discounts, so when a new model comes out they won't buy until there's a glut of inventory.

Meanwhile, there are Bolt buyers across the country and beyond anxiously waiting and praying that GM will grace them with a few vehicles in their region. I believe I read somewhere that Norway has 4,000 orders but was only allocated 400 vehicles. We here in Canada are in the same situation, and I've read similar stories about South Korea.

Feast and famine - it makes no sense to me unless GM really is treating this like a compliance vehicle and they're trying to force as many sales into CARB states as possible.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I drove the Bolt and loved it. I think the rapid improvement of these cars makes it tough to buy one. ACC has to be coming and probably some self driving capabilities. It will be interesting to compare to the model three.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Well I'm here in CA and only today saw my first Bolt in the wild. It was parked so I got a chance to walk around it, look inside. First impression was that it was bigger in person than my perception based on pictures. The room behind the back seat is smallish, but just put down the rear seat if you only have 2 in the car for that trip to the store. Head room much better than the Volt, and ingress/egress looks to be easier, rear seat room looks better as well.

Bottom line, we would consider purchasing one down the road if we were in the market for a new vehicle IF it had the same safety and convenience features currently available on the Volt, including ACC.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
No real surprise...Remember GM sells to dealerships via allocation so it is the dealerships who are ordering the cars...

I drove the Bolt and loved it. I think the rapid improvement of these cars makes it tough to buy one. ACC has to be coming and probably some self driving capabilities. It will be interesting to compare to the model three.
Lead engineer, Josh Tavel, was asked about ACC and he responded something like "That would require blended brakes and we didn't want to do that"...So it would take an entire brake system change during it's projected five year lifecycle...I also cannot see any self driving capabilities...All of the Cruze autonomous Bolts all have huge roof arrays of equipment which tells us it's nowhere near being ready for production vehicles and this is the first year supercruise will be deployed...But what is supercruise going to be deployed to? ICE CT6 only...Will probably take years for Cadillac to rollout supercruise to the majority of it's models so I can't see it trickling down to Chevy during the Bolt generation's lifecycle...

·
Registered
13,625 Posts
Well a whopping 9 Bolts listed in the State of Florida, 3rd most populous state in the US and actually allot of Volts sold here, so if Texas and Florida don't have many, your leaving out a huge swath of the population of the US.
Maybe they are selling welln FL, thus the small numbers. It's hard to tell.

·
Registered
678 Posts
And that is one of the things I very much do not like about the Bolt...

"That would require blended brakes and we didn't want to do that"...

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
And as discussed in another thread ad-nauseum, THE BOLT HAS BLENDED BRAKES!!!! This "reason" for no ACC is a load of crap excuse.

Keith

·
4,866 Posts
There are 13 at the dealer near me in central NY and they said they are selling quite well. And we aren't exactly known for EV adoption around here. I suspect when some standard discounts start being applied it will only get better.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Be wary of using cars.com or other auto sites to determine the actual "inventory" out there. I've found plenty of cars supposedly "for sale" on these sites that are long gone. Heck, cars.com still lists a NEW 2011 Volt for sale (and I know it's not there because I asked the dealer about it--a couple years ago): https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/93981341/overview/

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
well the simple fact remains, EVs with just 200+ mile range will not be significant. they aren't full replacements for all purpose cars yet
No, the simple fact is that until the Model 3 actually arrives there will be hundreds of thousands of potential long-range BEV sales locked up waiting. If the Model 3 turns out to be a dud I'd expect that I'd buy a Bolt in 2019 (if my financial position continues to allow it).

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Be wary of using cars.com or other auto sites to determine the actual "inventory" out there. I've found plenty of cars supposedly "for sale" on these sites that are long gone. Heck, cars.com still lists a NEW 2011 Volt for sale (and I know it's not there because I asked the dealer about it--a couple years ago): https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/93981341/overview/
Also Cars.com has a lot of in transit vehicles that are not even shipped yet. We need to know how many Bolts have been produced to actually gauge how they are really selling. In Maryland the state tax credit of $3000.00 does not go into effect until 7/1/2017 and some money conscious people may be holding off until then.

·
Registered
13,625 Posts
Also Cars.com has a lot of in transit vehicles that are not even shipped yet. We need to know how many Bolts have been produced to actually gauge how they are really selling. In Maryland the state tax credit of $3000.00 does not go into effect until 7/1/2017 and some money conscious people may be holding off until then.
Plus if you search for Chevy volts any distance from you, cars.com has a few of these beauties where the lack of cargo space problem is solved.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/680572232/overview/

But as a relative gauge, there are 4207 volts nationwide according to cars.com.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts