GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in a city and park in an outdoor parking lot that has no security. I am planning on buying a Volt when the lease on my current car is done, but am a bit concerned about security when charging. I've spoken with the person who owns the parking lot and he has agreed to allow me to install an outdoor 120v electrical outlet close to where I park, so I will be able to charge the Volt. From having read through lots of posts on this forum last night, it seems like the stock EVSE that comes with the Volt has a control panel that hangs down fairly close to where the cord plugs into an outlet.

My question is if there is any way to secure the control panel part of the EVSE inside the car (in the trunk or something?) or does it have to be outside of the car when charging?

I feel like if people see an electrical cord going from a car to an outlet, it's not tempting. But if they see a control panel with flashing lights on it, that might be more tempting to thieves/vandals (not to mention a lot more visible at night). I also read on this forum about someone who had their EVSE stolen, so it sounds like it does happen.

I apologize if this is a newbie question, but do any of you have suggestions for the best way to prevent the EVSE from being stolen if I always park in an unsecured outdoor lot?

·
Registered
387 Posts
just put the charger in the trunk kook it up to a cord extension 12 Gage get the charger cord plug in to ur car and get the extension cord plug in to the out let and close the trunk VOILA ! I DO THAT ALL THE TIME

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response!

Wouldn't the trunk not close if there's a cord coming out of it?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I see a lot of people here doing one or the other, or a combination of the two. Leaving the EVSE in the trunk and using an extension cord, or parking on the cable.

If you do get an extension cord, make sure it's heavy duty (12 ga). I bought a Rigid branded cable at home depot that also had clear plugs on the ends - that's important because most cheap extension cords may have poor connections where the wire is crimped to the terminals for the plug - you want to see if those start turning brown. Or get a 12ga extension cord, cut the ends off and replace them with high quality ends. I only use my extension occasionally and haven't had a problem with them turning brown yet. I use 12A through it without a problem.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Morning
When I bought my Volt I ask for a second charging cord and they throw it in without a blink.
I picked up tool box and screwed it to the side of the wife's greenhouse with the charger inside of it, 2 small holes for the power cables on side of the box.
I was more worried of the charger out in the weather, but you could put a paddle lock on it to keep it safe

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I tried rolling the tire over the cable just once, and I didn't like how the cable looked afterwards. There was a lot more wear where the tire was than I expected. Idk if I'd be comfortable doing it often/everyday.

Another option is to make a small loop with the cable, thread it through the "spokes" of the front-left wheel, and use a small padlock to lock it in place. This would still leave the EVSE exposed, but no one would be able to steal it without first cutting the cable and ruining its value. (Photo here http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...ase-share-your-stories-ever-feel-guilty/page4 )

I suppose you could just put some heavy tape over the LEDs to keep it from drawing as much attention at night. Not a perfect solution, but not too bad.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I do throw them in the trunk and run both cords out the back under the liftgate/hatchback (extension cord from external 110V AC in to the EVSE, and cord from EVSE to charge connector on the car). But I am a bit concerned because sometimes the cords have small dents in them, from where the hatchback closed on them. I hope I'm not straining the insulation and I hope I won't eventually damage the cords!

I keep meaning to throw in an extra handkerchief or washcloth or 2, so I can wrap the cords in it where the hatchback will need to close on them. also maybe there's more play/space for the cords under the hatchback at different points horizontally, from in the center out to the right and left edges, haven't experimented with that yet to find the optimal points to position the cords under the hatchback...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts