GM Volt Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I have looked at fins-straightening options and the combs only work on the industrial AC radiator cores, not on automotive type.

The best approach I have seen is to get a pair of tweezers and simply pluck at each fin, which straightens it. That's a heck of a lot of fins, in my case!

I don't suppose replacing the radiator will be something our garages have done here very often, if at all. I would have to balance the benefit of new radiator and renewed coolant with possible faults caused by faulty workmanship due to inexperience.

We don't even have 50:50 premix here, you'd have to make it yourself from deionised water and neat dexcool.

(Could someone tell me if there is a GM paart number for the 50:50 dexcool mix, see if I can get a dealer to order it?)

So, conundrum....

I think the bigger issue for the cooling systems is probably that fin flattening will block air through the other sets of radiators, AC and engine. I don't suppose the battery coolant sees much in the way of high temperatures, especially the way I try to baby the max range from it all the time!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
So...I contacted the Volt team and they said I was safe to drive it the 20 miles to the dealership and that with the "service high voltage charging system" error, the car would protect the battery. They said they could't tell me if the repair would be covered until the dealer looked at it but to let them know if there were any issues at the dealership and they would see what they could on on their end.

Dealer called just now and told me there was a hole in the radiator and it was being covered under the "hybrid warranty" and they would provide a car if we needed one while ours is there. He was quick to get off the phone, but I did ask him if he knew what caused it. He said they didn't know but it was a perfectly round hole. Anyway, just glad they are covering the repair, especially with no extra work/phone calls to GM required on my end. I didn't have to argue or show them the service bulletin. This was at Ron Westphal Chevrolet in Oswego, IL.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts