GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After enduring a minor medical procedure today, my wife took me to a local shopping district for a nice lunch. We parked in a large parking garage, above ground and open to the air, but still mostly enclosed. As the waiter brought our check I decided to warm up the Volt by remote start through MyVolt.com. I didn't expect it to work, but it did.

We walked immediately back to our car, about a block away, and when we got to it we found a couple standing by it and staring with alarm. The lights were on, the ICE wasn't, but it was obvious the car was doing something they weren't expecting. The lady asked if this was our car and why it was running. I explained it was an electric car and I had started it over the Internet with my phone to warm it up. These folks looked at me as if I had lost my mind and hurried off.

I understand people might say you should never remote start unless you can see the vehicle, but then you would only need the key fob ever. If GM didn't expect you to remote start it when you couldn't see it, why would they make remote start available through apps and MyVolt.com?

Should I avoid doing this again? What do you think? :confused::confused:

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
That's a good story. I don't feel it's a problem. The doors are locked, so you have no issues.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I see no problem. The doors will lock if they are not locked when you remote start. If for some reason you change your mind it will shut off after about 10 min.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Since the fob is required in proximity of the car and you need to power up once you get to the car anyway so I don't have an issue starting mine. If someone was to get in and try to move the car they'd need to step on the brakes to get it out of park regardless and hitting the brake without the fob kills the power.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Here's what happened when they hurried away: they made a beeline for the dealership and are now driving home in their new Volt.

(I wouldn't be surprised)

·
Administrator
20,023 Posts
That is a darn cool story! Welcome to Car 2.0, :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think it makes for a good conversation piece. It reminds me of the original "Candid Camera" scenes. This would serve as a "+2000" update. Now it has the beginnings of a viral video on You Tube.

Vin #126 Delivered 12/2010; 22K+ miles with 86% EV

·
Registered
313 Posts
I do this in the summer at the airport when I get off the plane, then another start before I get on the park and ride bus. Usually by the time I get to the car it has cooled down. Also do this sometimes at work. Remote start is awesome!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't see a problem with it...I started my volt the other day from 25 miles away. it was 10 degrees out and I wanted to make sure I could start it twice to get it warmed up before I got there to pick it up... ;o)

·
Registered
456 Posts
I think those people are a bit behind in technology. I have been able to remote start my Avalanche via a phone number since 2004. Aftermarket but the capability has been around for over a decade.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Here's what happened when they hurried away: they made a beeline for the dealership and are now driving home in their new Volt.
True story !!!!

I understand people might say you should never remote start unless you can see the vehicle, but then you would only need the key fob ever.
Reverse thought while using onstar app......
Who's going to touch your car? You started it with your key fob. You probably see me standing at your car anyway......

·
Registered
311 Posts
I remote start my Volt with the fob from my fifth floor office! Of course the car is across the street in the garage on the fourth level which I can see from my office. Takes a good five minutes down the hall, down the stairs, across the street, and up the stairs, so the car is warm by the time I get there.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Remote start is awesome - I first had it on my '09 Ram. Since the wife and my son's toys block up my 2 car garage, I park outside in the driveway. It sure is nice to get into a mostly warm car when it is 12 degrees outside. And since the key fob won't reach across my house, I never have to leave my bedroom with the Onstar app!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts