GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our school district recently purchased a 2013 Volt for Drivers Ed. We have a large solar array on our school and have a charging station in the parking lot. I think they are going to add another charging station for the Volt to use and have the other for visitors. I stopped out today to take a few pictures with it. Great purchase by our School Board! Also will be a great learning tool for kids getting ready to drive.

IMG_7824.jpg IMG_7823.jpg

·
Registered
2,336 Posts

Decent setup with the solar panel and all!:)

I had heard old school driver's ed classes were getting eliminated nationwide due to budget cuts, ect. glad to see not all school districts have done away with these courses.

Now about how that Gen1 is parked stressing the lower deflector is sorta one of my pet peeves so we'll just blame that on a student right!?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
249 Posts
The kids are going to be in for a big shock after they get their license when they have to drive those Covered Wagons they call ICE cars.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I wish I could see more of the solar panel setup; however, from what I am seeing though, this looks to be more of a "token" installation to make people feel good about charging from the sun. While I applaud the idea, from what I am seeing this looks to be rather expensive and unpractical.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Our school district recently purchased a 2013 Volt for Drivers Ed. We have a large solar array on our school and have a charging station in the parking lot. I think they are going to add another charging station for the Volt to use and have the other for visitors. I stopped out today to take a few pictures with it. Great purchase by our School Board! Also will be a great learning tool for kids getting ready to drive.

View attachment 111130 View attachment 111138
Oh that poor airdam :(

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Yeah, I’m curious about that charge station. From the portion of the panel visible in the picture, I am guessing a panel of that size would not provide enough current for reasonable charging, but it is installed away from the building as if it is off grid. How does it work and is it practical?

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
637 Posts
I applaud the school board in buying Volts to allow the next generation of consumers to know that they have choices beyond what their parents know (ICE). Once they get trained on using the Volt, many will never go back.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I hope it works out OK for the lessons. It looks like a base model without a rear camera or parking sensors. They are going to have trouble trying to parallel park it or back it. The new drivers are going to be striking the tire sidewalls against curbs trying those things (they are already tearing up the air dam). That’s when they will learn there is no spare tire. I can almost hear the teenagers laughing about it and comparing it to their dad’s SUV that can drive over a fire hydrant with no worries.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I'm not a pro on solar but here is the webpage with our setup. It's a pretty big one (for a public school) from what I have been told. We are installing another small farm on a plot of land behind the school as well. I think this will produce enough to completely power the school.

https://monitoringpublic.solaredge.com/solaredge-web/p/site/public?name=Farmington School#/dashboard
According to the link, this school has 2,272 panels. Yes, not shown in the photo, but geez, that is a lot of panels. Why bother putting a few on the pole as shown? That is a lot of panels.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The company that did the solar put up the charging station. I think the ones above the station were more for show if anything. This was one of the largest solar projects on a school in the country when they put it up.

Here is info on the rest of the project that is set to take place.

Farmington Central School District 265 is considering taking its solar energy production one step farther.
On Monday, the Board of Education heard a proposal by Steve Smith, James Holtzman and Dan Griffin, representatives of the Farnsworth Group and the Clean Energy Design Group, for a freestanding solar array that would be located behind the district’s ball fields.
The 3,000-panel, one-megawatt array would be ground-mounted. The district’s current 756-kilowatt capable solar array, is comprised of 2,500 panels and is affixed to the roof of the school complex.
The array, which switched on in April 2015, already has generated enough electricity to save District 265 more than $52,000.
With the proposed installation, Smith said, things would be a bit different.
The district would not own the solar panels, would not be responsible for financing their construction and would not be responsible for any maintenance or liability. That would be contracted out to a separate company on a 25-year contract.
That company would receive the tax credits provided by the panels. District 265 would then buy the energy generated by those panels at a fixed, below-market rate for the contract’s entire term. Holtzman said the total savings to District 265 would be roughly $750,000 over the course of 25 years.
The school district and its taxpayers would not have to pay a penny for the array.
If the board approves the proposal, Smith estimates 95 percent of the district’s total electricity use would be solar-generated.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
So putting the panels on the charge station was maybe a cosmetic thing to make it obvious to the public that
1) the station is (mostly) solar powered
2) it reinforces that EV=green
3) it helps advertise the school's commitment to solar energy by making some panels more visible.

And it didn't cost them much to do it that way except the price of the pole. Not something I would have thought to do, but it makes sense.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I'm not a pro on solar but here is the webpage with our setup. It's a pretty big one (for a public school) from what I have been told. We are installing another small farm on a plot of land behind the school as well. I think this will produce enough to completely power the school.

https://monitoringpublic.solaredge.com/solaredge-web/p/site/public?name=Farmington School#/dashboard
Wow! Coming up on 1.21 GigaWattHours, better hold on!

Here in California, every public school, and every government office has a big solar install, mostly over the parking lots. Shade AND power... (It does cost more than using an empty field, but there are not too many of those in town.)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts