GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Impressive! It's nice to see this sort of hands-on engineering in schools. I was also reading earlier this week about a solar-powered car that students built in Australia.

As for the Volt, a solar panel option would be great. If it only adds 3-5 miles of range a week, at least that's something extra.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Impressive! It's nice to see this sort of hands-on engineering in schools. I was also reading earlier this week about a solar-powered car that students built in Australia.

As for the Volt, a solar panel option would be great. If it only adds 3-5 miles of range a week, at least that's something extra.
It will depend if ou use a fixed solar panel system at your home and charge the Volt with it, or want to carry the panel in or on the Volt. Some photovolaic cells can generate up to 2 watts per square inch, so if you want to have them on the Volt, measure your Volt's roof area and multiply it by the power per square inch of the cells you will buy.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
The Fisker solar roof was about $2000. That is the same price as the Supercharger access at Tesla.

3 miles a week for those who park outside, the same energy consumed to cool the car in hot weather, so not much value. And I am sure they would not pipe the energy into the HV battery but rather trickle charge the 12 V system to take load off the HV to 12 V inverter. The one sitting under the rear flat area just behind the rear seat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts