GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the issues I was really concerned about before we bought our Volt was if it had enough room for our Golden Retriever to ride in. We owned a Tahoe before this, so I wasn't sure just how much head room she would have. She's still considered a puppy (8mo. old) and approx. 65 lbs. Even if she grows a little I think she will still be quite comfortable.

I searched this forum before buying and really didn't see any posts on carrying pets so I thought I'd share these pics.

She's actually standing up in this picture with head room to spare.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
She's a sweetie.... we have an Siberian Husky and use the wife's Cadillac SRX for dog duty, but next month while it's in the shop we'll be using my Volt. We do have one of those seat protectors that attach to the head rest brackets and we put her in a full chest harness which hooks into a seat belt.

Cheers

·
Registered
45 Posts
We have two afghan hounds 90lbs each. They go everywhere with us in the Volt when it's not to hot to leave them inside. They had a GMC envoy before and don't even miss it. It was hilarious to see about 10 salesman gather around with their jaws on the ground when the dogs switched from the Envoy to the Volt which we were trading for the Volt. They just jumped in and settled down with room to spare.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
/lecture on/Not cool. You need a soft sided crate for her safety. I know it goes against the grain but if you're in an accident you don't want to get her killed or seriously injured. /lecture off/

·
Registered
258 Posts
I took a picture of Abraham on his first Volt ride, too. :cool: I take my 150lb Great Dane with me to a lot of places, too.

Attachments

·
Registered
702 Posts
We have two afghan hounds 90lbs each. They go everywhere with us in the Volt when it's not to hot to leave them inside. They had a GMC envoy before and don't even miss it. It was hilarious to see about 10 salesman gather around with their jaws on the ground when the dogs switched from the Envoy to the Volt which we were trading for the Volt. They just jumped in and settled down with room to spare.
With the Volt, you have the option to leave the car on, the air conditioning running, and the doors locked. I tried it once. It stayed nice and cool inside for the dogs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With the Volt, you have the option to leave the car on, the air conditioning running, and the doors locked. I tried it once. It stayed nice and cool inside for the dogs.
Yes, this is what I did today and it worked great. Now I just need to figure out a way for her not to shed so much :/

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yes, this is what I did today and it worked great. Now I just need to figure out a way for her not to shed so much :/
Thanks lalawson12 and everyone else who posted pictures of their large dogs inside their Volts. I have been following the Chevy Volt for several years now through this site and would want to lease or buy one soon. The car is such a game-changer and I like the idea of driving on electricity and also gas (when you need to). I'm sure there were some Volt (and other BEV) owners who lost electricity during the recent heatwave and storms that hit the Midwest. For the Volt owners, not having power at home to charge with did not prevent them from using gas.

The one issue that would/could have prevented me from getting a Volt is that I have an 80lb, 13yo golden retriever. Seeing the pictures posted in this thread has shown me that my best friend will have enough room in the back of the Volt. I will likely place him in the cargo area with one of both back seats folded, which I think most of the ones posted did as well.

Lalawson12, as for your golden shedding, I use the Furminator on mine and I've found that it has significantly reduced his shedding. Try that if you haven't yet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts