GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have been car shopping now for over 2 years. The indecision and long time frame resulted from not really knowing what we wanted and both of us initially wanting different vehicles. The new car was to replace my wife's 2004 Toyota Matrix with 195,000km on the clock (my car is a 2007 Mazda MX-5). There was nothing wrong with that Toyota and it suited us, but we wanted newer technology and a bit more luxury. I was leaning to a small luxury SUV but my wife wanted something sleeker and we both started thinking "hybrid".

Just recently we both decided the ideal vehicle would be a hatchback plug-in hybrid vehicle. We live on Vancouver Island which has a mild climate suitable to battery vehicles, inexpensive electricity rates and we know that 80-90% of our driving would be for round trip distances normally less than 60km (we are retired). I was a bit leery though, as battery technology seems to be changing and improving and I did not want to be stuck with a very rapidly depreciating vehicle.

Initially the Volt was not even on our list. Some 3 years ago or more I read (or perhaps I mis-read) a review of the Volt which was not very well researched and did not really even include a proper highway test drive. For some reason this review was always in the back of my mind and I had discounted the vehicle. So we went to test drive the Hyundai Ioniq, the Toyota Prius and the Audi A3 eTron. The Ioniq came out top of the list but its plug-in version is not available here until later this year. The Prius I found ugly, especially the interior and the Audi had too short of an electric range to be useful.

To top all this off my previous thoughts about GM, or American made vehicles in general, were not positive. I do realize they have really upped their game in terms of reliability in the last 10 years or more, but prior to that very few Canadians would purchase American made passenger vehicles, probably due to decades earlier being sold vehicles that rarely lasted more than 150k km. Poor reliability (back then) that any Japanese vehicle would easily surpass.

In the meantime my good friend let me drive his Nissan Leaf. Never having driven an electric vehicle before this was a revelation. As much as I love driving my MX-5 the quietness, lack of any vibration and the amazing low end torque really made an impression on me.

Longer story short : the lack of choice for plug-in hybrids had us scratching around to see if we missed anything. I remembered the Volt and did a bit of online research and was pleasantly surprised at the reviews, and the much longer electric and ICE ranges that I remember reading about. So we took the plunge and went to our local Chevrolet dealer. We were both excited at first by the vehicle styling as it was much nicer looking than both of us had expected. But it was the test drive that really sold me. I enjoy driving and the ability of a vehicle to corner well, handle acceleration challenges, be fun to drive and yet be comfortable to drive. The Volt had all that and more than I expected. That was the first short test drive where we both were behind the wheel for about 10 minutes each. We left the dealership with a price and I went and did a bit more research. A few days later we returned for a longer test drive without a salesman in the back seat. That was even more impressive as they left us with only about 40km of battery range which we soon burned through on the twisty roads of SW Van Isle. The seamless, absolutely quiet transition to the ICE was also a great selling point for us (we intend on a few trips to central Canada and possibly to Arizona - New Mexico so did not want the range anxiety of being tied to a purely electric vehicle such as the Bolt).

Since our purchase we continue to be amazed at the performance of the vehicle and its electric range (admittedly that was over the end of the summer and we have been babying it a bit so we are not expecting such range this winter, obviously). Nonetheless we are enjoying very much our purchase and friends who have been with us in the vehicle are also very impressed. Well done Chevrolet.

Thank you to all who have put together the great FAQ's and all the useful information on this forum.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Welcome aboard, post pics of your new ride asap. Cheers!

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Iagagnon, welcome to the forum, and on your purchase of a 2017 Volt. I was an outsider a few years ago then joined the forum, and after being on it for a while in Oct 2013 my wife and I purchased our new 2014 Volt, the first new U.S. made car we ever purchased. We liked the Volt so much we traded it for a new 2016 Volt Premier in July 2016, and are quite happy with that purchase. Its hard to argue with 45-65 miles on electric for a cost of only $1.80 or so, and when running just on the gas engine 45+ mpg on regular 87 octane gas.

My wife can commute to her business for a month, a 32 mile round trip, and never use a drop of gas. Also if you can swing it get a level 2 Charger its the best option you can get. A full charge in 4.5 hours.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Congratulations....and nice write-up. My wife and I were in the same position and GM was really not on my radar. But the Volt had so many things going for it including both state and federal tax incentives that it turned out to be a no brainer. We now have over 6000 miles on our Volt and I continue to be amazed at what a great car it is. We also have a 2010 MX-5 which, as you know, is a FUN car to drive.....but frankly, I enjoy the Volt in "Sport" mode just as much. And what really blows me away is that we can travel towing a small trailer with our kayaks and paddleboards and still get mileage that is actually better than the Miata....that's impressive!
Now, if someone would just make an electric convertible as cool as the Miata!!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Iagagnon, congrats on your new Volt. Looking at Plugshare, there are many L2 sites on the island so you should be able to drive mainly on EV, even if you go further north.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Every now and then someone posts a superior write-up that says it all. Your post should be run in entirety as a Volt national print ad by Chevy, along with a stunning color picture. But..... nah, let's just have Chevy continue to keep the car a secret....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts