GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We absolutely love our 2014 Volt, but after 44,000 wonderful miles, we now have our first mechanical problem. It started making a "clunk" sound from the left rear wheel when setting the parking brake, at about 40,000 miles. It started as a sporadic problem, but now happens most of the time.

I need your help!

I know that the Volt has a history of this, and have read some previous threads about this. I'm in an electric vehicle club, and our most experienced Volt driver said: "Get it into the dealer."

I called a Volt Advisor, and said that I knew that there was some history of this. I asked if there was any sort of Service Bulletin, or anything like that, and they said: "No, take it to your dealer." So I did yesterday...just for diagnosis...because I have have always done my own non-warranty work on all of the cars that I've every owned.

The mechanic at Bob Steele Chevrolet (Cocoa, FL) told me that the clicking was coming from the internal ratcheting mechanism that is part of the parking brake function of the left rear brake caliper. I was told that the caliper should be replaced, to the tune of $400. I ordered a caliper from the Parts Department.

The Service Advisor told me that the car was safe to drive. After driving home (10 miles) from the dealer, I found that the left rear brake was smoking hot, and it had a nasty brake stink. The brake had obviously been dragging slightly. It had not done this before being "serviced", and was not detectable while driving.

I called the Service Advisor, and he told me: "Yes, that caliper needs to be replaced." Today, I picked up the new caliper and installed it.

IT STILL CLUNKS. Now that I've gotten into it more closely, it looks as if the left parking brake cable is binding, and that is causing the "clunk", and also not allowing the parking brake to fully release.

A previous entry, from "bookdabook" indicated that this may just be a software issue.

I'm disappointed that the mechanic mis-diagnosed the problem, but hey -- I've made mistakes myself. Does anyone have experience solving this problem? I have subscribed to Chilton's online Service Manual, but that's not answering this problem.

By the way, we are such enthusiastic Volt owners, that we had our car wrapped with a photo of the most intense lightning storm that you've ever seen. We have given more "ride-and-drives" than most Chevy salesman. We love our car, but we need help.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts

FWIW: Under Fluid and Lubricant Recommendations of the Volt service manual lists:

Parking Brake Cable Guides Chassis Lubricant GM P/N 12377985 (Canadian P/N 88901242) or lubricant meeting requirements of NLGI #2, Category LB or GC-LB

ACDelco 13582928 GM Original Equipment Electronic Parking Brake Control Module Assembly

If you ever had to replace the K83 Parking Brake Control Module, it is avail for less than @$150 thru amazon link above and the various parking brake cables are currently less than @$20 at this link...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Wow. Those parts links seem too good to be true! Is that legit?

·
Registered
963 Posts
The clunk is caused by one of the wires under the car that runs to the rear brakes. I had this problem on my 2014 and was an easy fix - 15 minutes. Every time I engaged the parking brake, a clunk sound was heard - coming from behind and bellow.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! By "...wires under the car that runs to the rear brakes.", do you mean the parking brake cables? I'm happy to hear that the fix is easy. Did you have a dealer do it?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Thanks! By "...wires under the car that runs to the rear brakes.", do you mean the parking brake cables? I'm happy to hear that the fix is easy. Did you have a dealer do it?
Yes, this is what I meant. And yes, the dealer fix it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes, this is what I meant. And yes, the dealer fix it.
Do you know specifically what the dealership did to fix it? They fixed the "clunk" on my 2014 Volt, but now the left rear disk becomes scorching hot. They wrote on the paperwork "PERFORMED PROCEDURE PI0795 INSTALLED O RING SEAL TO E BRAKE CABLE AND BRACKET HOLE FOR EACH SIDE. TRIED E BRAKE AND DID NOT HEAR NOISE ANY MORE". I do not see any new o-rings anywhere.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts