GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just under 3 months old, just under 2,200 miles. Angled into a parking lot post (one of the big steel ones) situated at the front of the parking space.

Any idea how much this is going to be to fix?

For reference, this is the front-passenger side of the car.

·
Registered
13,560 Posts
Pics would help, but when my son hit a deer, it was $3500. Similarly my escapades with a stop sign that appeared out of nowhere was just under $4k.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Pics would help, but when my son hit a deere, it was $3500. Similarly my escapades with a stop sign that appeared out of nowhere was just under $4k.
x2

Nobody can estimate that based on this post, but that won't stop future replies :)

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
I bit $2, Drew (Bob Barker retired years ago, didn't Drew Carey replace him?)
$3! #winning

p.s. isn't Bob Barker dead?

·
Banned
398 Posts
in my experience, body shops charge double for insurance jobs.

1. get estimate, tell them its for insurance (make sure it is a thorough estimate*)
2. get a check
3. go to another body shop and tell them you will pay cash.
4. keep half your money

*in California, body shops have gotten wise to this and give you a low estimate and a assurance, "Don't worry, if we find anything more (and they will), we will simply file a supplemental claim to get it all fixed right". This is pure BS and designed to make sure you either get underpaid if you take a check, or the body shop gets fully paid once they start your work. Either way, the shop tries to screw you. If you suspect this is happening ALWAYS call the adjuster out to the shop and contend that the estimate is way low. Insurance companies don't care either way (usually) unless the adjuster is a sweetheart with the shop, in which case you go to another shop. This happened to me ONCE and it sure as hell isn't going to happen again.

·
Registered
322 Posts
in my experience, body shops charge double for insurance jobs.

1. get estimate, tell them its for insurance (make sure it is a thorough estimate*)
2. get a check
3. go to another body shop and tell them you will pay cash.
4. keep half your money

*in California, body shops have gotten wise to this and give you a low estimate and a assurance, "Don't worry, if we find anything more (and they will), we will simply file a supplemental claim to get it all fixed right". This is pure BS and designed to make sure you either get underpaid if you take a check, or the body shop gets fully paid once they start your work. Either way, the shop tries to screw you. If you suspect this is happening ALWAYS call the adjuster out to the shop and contend that the estimate is way low. Insurance companies don't care either way (usually) unless the adjuster is a sweetheart with the shop, in which case you go to another shop. This happened to me ONCE and it sure as hell isn't going to happen again.
Having worked in insurance in NY and NJ for a few years, I can say it's the opposite out here. If you bring your car to a body shop and tell them you're looking to pay out of pocket (off the street estimate), they're going to gouge you by charging you labor rates that are double what an insurance company will pay, replacing a fender that can easily be repaired, etc. If they know they're writing an estimate for an insurance company they know they'll only be able to charge $X for labor, etc. because they know someone with technical knowledge is going to be reviewing the estimate against damage photos with a fine-tooth comb.

And to OP, your question has been answered, no one can give you an estimate that will be remotely correct without seeing photos and even then you won't get an accurate answer from someone who isn't an appraiser in your area or work at a body shop in your area (labor rates vary wildly). I will say this though, you'll almost never see a repair bill for body work <$1k.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
No idea if it's actual damage or you're just needing paint without repair...Additionally could be the bumper cover and/or the fender...If the fender has minor damage, might be cheaper to see if a paintless repair place can get the fender back in shape and then have a paint spray it...

Otherwise get a car bra...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies folks. Just a general question - is no one else seeing the picture I included in the post? I see it when I come back to the thread, but several of you have mentioned that you don't see any pictures.

By the way, took it to the body shop today. I have a shop that is a life-long friend of a life-long friend and he's done work for me before, so I trust him and they do good work. Looks like it's gonna be $1,500 - new fender, new logo plate, repair on the door. I'm just going to pay out of pocket for it. I have a $500 deductible on my insurance so it's not worth at least three years of higher insurance in order to get the $1,000 of it that would be covered from the insurance company.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Thanks for the replies folks. Just a general question - is no one else seeing the picture I included in the post? I see it when I come back to the thread, but several of you have mentioned that you don't see any pictures.
I don't see any pictures.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Thanks for the replies folks. Just a general question - is no one else seeing the picture I included in the post? I see it when I come back to the thread, but several of you have mentioned that you don't see any pictures...
That probably means you have it referenced to a local drive, you are the only one that can see it, as it has not "left the building"...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nope, I uploaded it to an album on the forum, then used the link provided to embed it in the post. I even logged out, came back to the forum anonymously, and could still see the pic. Strange.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I can see the picture. That's a real bummer but at least it's not anything that the car will remember forever. $1,500 sounds quite reasonable.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I keep alternating between kicking myself, and being glad that it's not worse. That sound of the fender folding around the post is just one of those things that gives you a big pit in your stomach - especially on a brand new car.

Seems pretty much par for the course for me though. On my 2013 leaf - the second week I had it, something flew off a truck on the freeway and busted my windshield - $500. Then, about a month later another truck hit a big branch in the lane next to me on the freeway - kicked it up and put a big gouge in my driver side door - another $500. So, I was just holding my breath for something to mar this new car. At least this one was all my fault, so no one to be angry with but me.

·
Registered
322 Posts
By the way, took it to the body shop today. I have a shop that is a life-long friend of a life-long friend and he's done work for me before, so I trust him and they do good work. Looks like it's gonna be $1,500 - new fender, new logo plate, repair on the door. I'm just going to pay out of pocket for it. I have a $500 deductible on my insurance so it's not worth at least three years of higher insurance in order to get the $1,000 of it that would be covered from the insurance company.
THIS IS WHAT I STARTED TO TYPE: Don't do this. Make a claim, your insurance rates aren't going to go up to the degree that it would be worth not making one.
THEN I REALIZED IT MIGHT BE DIFFERENT IN CALIFORNIA AND SAW THIS:
http://www.carinsurance.com/how-much-does-insurance-go-up-after-accident.aspx

Holy jeez California!!! I hope that's not for real. I'd still consult your agent if you have one though.

BTW, it must be something with our network security. As soon as I looked from my phone I could see the pictures.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I can see the photo. I was going to guess $2K, but then you took the mystery out of it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
THIS IS WHAT I STARTED TO TYPE: Don't do this. Make a claim, your insurance rates aren't going to go up to the degree that it would be worth not making one.
THEN I REALIZED IT MIGHT BE DIFFERENT IN CALIFORNIA AND SAW THIS:
http://www.spike.com/press/files/2014/07/TIM_LEES_011.jpg

Holy jeez California!!! I hope that's not for real. I'd still consult your agent if you have one though.

BTW, it must be something with our network security. As soon as I looked from my phone I could see the pictures.
I'm not sure how that particular link explains it, but yes, in California the rates can go up substantially with one claim. Several years ago, I talked over the a situation with my agent where there was roughly $900 in damage on a very slow speed accident that was my fault (5-6 mph tap on a rear bumper, no injuries, somewhat older vehicle). At the time, my rate would have gone up about $700 per year for three years if I filed the claim for the $900. He said anything over $750 in damage goes on my record and counts against me in terms of rates. I imagine it's pretty much the same now. I had a great driving record then, and have a great driving record since then (no tickets or accidents on my record). So, it really is worth it to me to just eat the $1,000 now rather than pay more than double that over the next three years in increased premiums.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts