GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
80 MPGe City
72 MPGe Highway
76 MPGe Combined
For comparison, bigger and heavier Model X gets 93 MPGe in the city, with old motor technology.
How can one get city MPGe so low? Wonder who wrote jaguar motor controller software...
What a disappointment. But continuing the gas premium car tradition - if one pays $80K + for a car, what would one care for efficiency? However, in EV land, efficiency may mean making that 200 miles trip or not...

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I pace by iroomba

I’ve never had much respect for Jag and still don’t.

In an EV Aero and LRR tires can make the difference, the ipace demonstrates why EV pickups aren’t on the market

·
Registered
807 Posts
My wife just bought an E-Pace so I had the opportunity to look at the brochures, etc... for the I-Pace while we were at the dealership. All of the published materials list the range at 240 miles so they were not too far off from that.

I did not find the I-Pace particularly interesting at all despite the sales rep telling me he drove one and it beat the pants off a Model X (yeah sure it did :) )

·
Registered
157 Posts
Prolific vlogger Bjorn Nyland mentioned one possible reason for the i-Pace's poor efficiency was due to the fact it cannot torque sleep/power down its motors as Tesla can.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
After having driven it (my own review coming), yes, the I-PACE is much nicer than the Model X that I drove. Both in terms of interior quality and driving dynamics.

That said, yes, the efficiency is of concern. I do think Jaguar should consider switching out one of the PMAC motors with an induction motor that will lower the cost to build, increase the efficiency, provide an option for towing, and (if they are so inclined) decrease the size of the battery--the most costly component--while maintaining close to a 240-mile range.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
That said, yes, the efficiency is of concern. I do think Jaguar should consider switching out one of the PMAC motors with an induction motor that will lower the cost to build, increase the efficiency, provide an option for towing, and (if they are so inclined) decrease the size of the battery--the most costly component--while maintaining close to a 240-mile range.
Hmm... I though permanent magnet motors were always more efficient than induction motors (all other things being equal) because they didn't have to burn the power to maintain the field in TWO places.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Hmm... I though permanent magnet motors were always more efficient than induction motors (all other things being equal) because they didn't have to burn the power to maintain the field in TWO places.
Only if you can shut one of them off. Otherwise, you get double the losses.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.