GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to purchase a Gen 2 Volt, and would like to have an L2 EVSE installed (the Sun Country Highway SCH25, which I haven't bought yet). I don't know anything about electric work so need to hire an electrician. I had Mr. Electric out to my house to give me a quote, and this is what they gave me:

30 Amp Standard Breaker Box and wiring to the garage: $704
4 11/16 Junction Box: $32
Hardwire the EVSE: $161
ESA Certification: $85
Total: $982 + tax

That's all in Canadian dollars, of course. In Ontario the EVSE must be hardwired in order to be certified. My electrical room is in my basement, adjacent to the garage.

Even with the 50% Ontario rebate (up to $500) for the installation this is double what I was expecting.

Has anyone in the Ottawa area (or Ontario in general) hired an electrician to install an EVSE? Does this price seem reasonable/competitive? Would you have any recommendation(s) of an electrician in the Ottawa area that may have a lower price?

Thanks

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
723 Posts
Or, go to Home Depot and buy $40 of supplies to make an adapter, your Gen 2 EVSE will work on 240. Also, it's incorrect that an Ontario EVSE has to be hard wired. Shop around, that's a high quote.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Yes seems high.

I had my L2 installed for arround $500. Though I bought the breaker and re-arranged my panel myself.

Hard wire the EVSE $161? To attach a connector and three wires? Man I should have been an Electrician. Engineering doesn't pay.

·
Registered
508 Posts
As jayoldshool suggested, the least expensive 240 V charging would be to use the 120 V charge cord that comes with the 2016-17 Chevy Volts. GM-Volt members have found that internally it is designed to also work at 240 V.

All you need to have installed is a 240V NEMA 6-15 or 6-20 outlet. Get quotes from three electricians, since they can vary a lot. The only other thing you need is an short adapter cord from the 240 V outlet to the standard 120 V plug (NEMA 5-15) on the Volt's charge cord. Label it clearly "For Chevy Voly Charging Only," so no one uses it for something else and frys a 120 V appliance.

You will be limited to 12 A, instead of 16 A. If you really need 16 A, then get a 16 A capable clipper creek EVSE or the SCH25.

GSP

·
Registered
191 Posts
Ontario Gov Rebates.

I'm not sure if the program is still in operation but in Ontario you can get a rebate from the government for the installation of a L2 charger. The charger must be installed by a certified electrician and properly certified. In my case I went for a "Plug In" model ordered directly from Clipper Creek instead of their Canadian Dealer Sun Country Highway and it was still accepted by the Provincial Government but it took a little longer to process and some paperwork. I would check if you're eligible before doing anything.

Oh, and the price sounds about right depending on how far the run is from your box to your garage. It's close to what I eventually ended up paying. Call someplace reputable and get an average quote for how much it will cost. Be suspicious if it seems unusually low, you don't want to end up with a jerry rigged setup. You also can't really do the work yourself because otherwise it's going to be difficult to get the ESA certification.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Some of it depends on what's between your service panel and the location of the unit. That is actually less than I paid four years ago for an LCS25.

The installer told me at the time that it had to be hardwired to pass the inspection, and the rebate hinges on passing the inspection. I don't know if that is a local thing, due to having an outside installation, or is an across-the-board rule for Ontario. It seems like a good idea to me anyway.

In any case I paid up, got my rebate, and was a happy customer.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
723 Posts
In Ontario, the install only has to be inspected to qualify. It does not have to be done professionally, nor does it have to be hardwired. This information is available here with a search.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
In Ontario, the install only has to be inspected to qualify. It does not have to be done professionally, nor does it have to be hardwired. This information is available here with a search.
I've been around the block with this discussion several times already. I'm only reporting what I was told by SCH and their installer at the time. i don't know if the hardwire requirement was due to local code, the placement of the unit, or what. When it comes to work like this I think hiring a good professional is money well spent,and the best way to be sure of passing the inspection.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I called the government on this. They told me if I install the unit myself, I can still apply for the $500.00 rebate on just the unit. (I obviously get nothing for the parts and material I spend in the install)

P.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts