GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the Volt get OTA software updates (it has LTE so it's possible) or do you have to go to the dealer?

I'm picking up my Volt tomorrow, it didn't ship with Android Auto so they are doing the update before I pick the car up, that's one update already and I haven't even picked the car yet.

·
Registered
500 Posts
GM will NEVER do OTA only Tesla does!
Maybe not. Dealer installed software updates are pretty expensive and getting more so each year as more systems are software driven. If you think GM is not looking at these costs they should be in order to stay competitive. I believe we'll see OTA updates within a model year on some systems of a few GM models.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I believe we'll see OTA updates within a model year on some systems of a few GM models.
Is this one of the aspects of the laws that require GM to have a dealer network instead of selling direct to the consumer themselves? Are they prohibited from "servicing" the cars directly in some say?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Is this one of the aspects of the laws that require GM to have a dealer network instead of selling direct to the consumer themselves? Are they prohibited from "servicing" the cars directly in some say?
No, they already do OTAs, even on the first generation.
Many behind the scenes updates are OTA (e.g. onstar security and connectivity)
But critical systems are not done OTA, nor major infotainment updates (i.e. android auto for 2016s+)

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Considering the problems Apple just had "bricking" some newer iPAD's with a new iOS update I can see why an auto manufacture would be reluctant to do that.

Say you were on a trip staying at a hotel, you get in your car and see there is a new update waiting and like any mobile device owner you automatically accept the agreement and start the download. Now say something goes wrong.

I think the OTA update thing is just OTA Update envy. Some updates are ok and others should only be done at a dealer.

That's just my opinion, because if my car got "bricked" stranding me I'd be screaming bloody murder and demanding GM bail me out right then and now.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
...if my car got "bricked" stranding me I'd be screaming bloody murder and demanding GM bail me out right then and now.
I can certainly see the rationale for the dealer doing the update and then performing an acceptance test of the car so that it could be fixed (hopefully quickly) before going back to the customer.

I don't think Tesla has had any issues, but it may only be a matter of time. We'll just have to wait and see.

·
Administrator
19,969 Posts
Does the Volt get OTA software updates (it has LTE so it's possible) or do you have to go to the dealer?
Both. Some are updates are OTA, others require a dealer visit.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Maybe not. Dealer installed software updates are pretty expensive and getting more so each year as more systems are software driven. If you think GM is not looking at these costs they should be in order to stay competitive. I believe we'll see OTA updates within a model year on some systems of a few GM models.
If GM had "Chevy retail locations" run by GM rather than independent dealerships that LOVE charging GM to do software updates I would agree with you... but dealerships will fight tooth and nail against going to an OTA software update system.

Keith

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Tesla OTA is needed because the cars are not finished when they leave the factory! The auto pilot thing has been a big issue with multiple updates. Some to reverse functionality so people don't kill themselves.

In order to limit liability, GM will never do a Tesla style update to critical systems like cruise control. I believe there is a quote from a GM spokesperson saying as much. One can imagine bricking a couple million cars at once.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Other than infotainment, most GM cars and trucks are sold with a flash that works great for 20 years or more.
The original flash in the 2002 Corvette is excellent. HUD, Active Handling, low emissions, high output, pulls like a train right off idle.

Infotainment needs to migrate out of the cars and trucks. It should be portable with a universal interface. Program 1 portable device, and use it at home, while bicycling, while shopping, and while driving anything, even rentals.

Which is why Tesla's avoidance of universal interfaces is puzzling. Use Open Source for an OS, yet proprietary for the rest. Like Apple does.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I'd much rather not have an OTA update that can interfere with the operational integrity the car. POI and map updates, new software for the entertainment system, sure. But it's not like I can put the Volt in my pocket and bring it to the dealer to fix a failed update. Even something going haywire with the climate control can put a Volt into "Reduced Propulsion Power", so I'd much rather have the car ALREADY someplace that can address the problem immediately.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
"Never" is a long time. I suspect GM and others will gradually update more and more of their cars computer code OTA over time. Imagine what VW is now facing with their TDI cars. If their cars had the ability to be updated OTA, it would be orders of magnitude less expensive and hassle to push the needed update to the fleet overnight - rather than recall massive numbers of cars to the dealers.

I was somewhat disappointed that when GM did the Android Auto updates on the 2016 cars, they didn't include the new energy screen that the 2017s have. Not that I would have used the new screen so much. But it would have shown a shift in attitude about keeping the existing fleet up to date with the latest features, where possible. Yes, "like Tesla does".

·
Registered
521 Posts

I am looking forward to the day when I can stop using grumpy cat saying "NO" to OTA updates. :)

I've never seen proof that anything other than the OnStar service gets OTA updates. Which makes sense since they control the downlink. With LTE I am not sure ownership of the connectivity (hardware) has changed. Safety first so they own the cellular radio in case of a crash...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts