GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

While messing with GDS2 v17 noticed there is a now an additional Serial Data Gateway Module populated in the software for the 2017 Bolt & 2018 Volt pictured above.

This module isn't listed in GDS2 for 2017 Gen2 Volt or older models.:confused:

With my interest piqued, dug deeper to find a couple of random VINs for 2017 Bolt (1G1FX6S00H4168093) & 2018 Volt (1G1RB6S59JU118502)

https://www.gmupfitter.com/files/me...do_Electrical_Body_Builder_SM_U_2017JUL26.pdf

Plugging these VINs in over at https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web/ reveals this K56 Serial Data Gateway Module could potentially be used to perform OTA programming on MY2018 Volts and 2017 Bolts!:cool:

Could it also be possible to disable any future OTA programming by simply pulling this 'gateway' module fuse if this is in fact the proper module shown in the Bolt Owner's fuse block pic or would this latch a corresponding DTC/CEL if removed?:confused:

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Nice find. Looks like OTA is imminent now. I will randomly guess sometime February. ;)

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Updating your car as easily as your smartphone – Software updates over the air make sure that vehicles are always state of the art.

Central Gateway CGW
CGW is the central communication node, acts as a router (for in-vehicle communication and through the CCU to the outside) and is the gate for all data coming into the vehicle. It supports various bus systems (Ethernet, CAN, LIN).

summary_central-gateway_manufacturers.pdf

Believe this gateway module equipped in MY2018 Volt & Bolt may be the one above manufactured by Bosch...

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Updating your car as easily as your smartphone – Software updates over the air make sure that vehicles are always state of the art.

Central Gateway CGW
CGW is the central communication node, acts as a router (for in-vehicle communication and through the CCU to the outside) and is the gate for all data coming into the vehicle. It supports various bus systems (Ethernet, CAN, LIN).

summary_central-gateway_manufacturers.pdf

Believe this gateway module equipped in MY2018 Volt & Bolt may be the one above manufactured by Bosch...
2016/2017 Volt owners will be disappointed that they won't be able to do OTA updates. But for 18 Volt/Bolt owners, even 1 less reason to visit the dealer.

·
Registered
152 Posts
So it looks like they are following Tesla's model for updates.

Tesla does something similar... There is a "gateway" that sits between the portions of the car with internet access and the various busses used to drive/control the car. The internet connected parts of the car have no direct access to any of the CAN busses; they can only control the car via a limited set of commands that get relayed via the gateway. This video goes over it well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX_0c9R4Fng

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
It really isn't Tesla's model for updates, cell phones and others have been doing this for a long time. Tesla maybe has less issue trying to keep a dealer network happy that doesn't want their customers to have OTA updates.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Nice find!

I guess if I want those radio updates I'll have to go to the dealer.... for my 17.
And considering it took GM over 2 months to fix the MyChevrolet app not so sure I'm all giddy with excitement over allowing GM to push OTA's to my Volt.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
So the 2018 Bolt has a totally different software version.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
...miss a car car payment and the OTA update bricks the car...:rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts