GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you heard of "Organic Photovoltaics"? This technology is new to me in the solar market. I'm aware of many different type of solar out there. It too new to be into solar play. I believe when Organic Photovoltaics catch up with at least measure up to the efficiency we see in current thin-film solar. Once it get from there, That may be where OPV start to have the upper hand to play on the thin-film solar market share. It does remind me when OLED was in play with the LED market. OLED is catch up with with LED. There are already have OLED TV display now. Organic Photovoltaics may have the same play just like OLED. I really wonder if Texas know about this type of technology?

http://www.nanomarkets.net/products/prod_detail.cfm?prod=9&id=249

This is one of the company is working on Organic Photovoltaics.
http://www.globalphotonic.com/technology_opv.html

I been trying to find more detail info about the Organic Photovoltaics. but there too many little info.

·
3,689 Posts
Have you heard of "Organic Photovoltaics"? This technology is new to me in the solar market. I'm aware of many different type of solar out there. It too new to be into solar play. I believe when Organic Photovoltaics catch up with at least measure up to the efficiency we see in current thin-film solar. Once it get from there, That may be where OPV start to have the upper hand to play on the thin-film solar market share. It does remind me when OLED was in play with the LED market. OLED is catch up with with LED. There are already have OLED TV display now. Organic Photovoltaics may have the same play just like OLED. I really wonder if Texas know about this type of technology?
Hi Cybereye, Yes. I'm tracking organic photovoltaic technology. Currently the efficiencies and life of the panels are not that great but the technology could be useful for many different applications. I also don't like to get too excited about PV technology that has not made it to volume production. It's the little details that most of the time stops technology in it's tracks or makes it obvious that other technologies are superior. I hope all forms of solar research continue. The shotgun approach to alternative energy solutions is the best chance we have to find the needed technologies to help free us from our Petroleum bonds. Keep on researching and reporting!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm always get excited when there new technology. Organic photovoltaic is just another technology in the portfolio in the solar market. The more technology in the Solar's portfolio, the better odd of combine the technology together. What I'm looking for in the long term (15 years or more) is which technology does not rely on oil itself. That just one of the question on my list that I'm looking at in the long term point of view. I have seen some plastic without the petroleum added. I'm not speaking gloom and doom "peak oil" as well. I just know that the cost is going to add up down the road. I believe solar will have a large role in play in the energy market, but not the only one that play the energy market.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts