GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I give up. I can't figure them out. I can't find anything in the instructions. And I can't find anything online.

So, I push the orange button (hard) and the green LEDs start flashing. The LEDs settle back to: the left 2 on, and the right 2 off. Does this mean that the charger is opeating at a reduced level? If so, how do I make it operate at a higher level? Can it actually sense what's going on behind the wall (breaker size, etc)?

Chris

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Does this mean that the charger is opeating at a reduced level? If so, how do I make it operate at a higher level?
Yes, it means it's only providing 8 amps of current. Push the button again to get back to the full 12 amp mode. The breaker had better be a 15 (or 20) amp breaker. But there's no way for the EVSE to know if you have something ELSE plugged in to that circuit.

If you keep popping the breaker or if your EVSE detects faults, switch to 8 amps. If it works at 12, keep it there.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've pushed the orange button a bunch of times, and it always lands with just 2 out of 4 LEDs on. I've never seen all 4 LEDs on.

Is it smarter than we think???

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Try pressing the orange button before attaching the J1772 connector to the Volt charge port. If necessary, unplug the charger from the wall outlet and plug it back in to reset the charger. I am not at the charger to verify, but that is what I would try.

The 4 LEDs should definitely switch between 4 and 2 lites depending on the 8 or 12 amp selection with each press of the orange button.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, the socket matters. I switched to a different socket, and voila--4 LEDs lit up immediately.

The original socket is shared with a garage refrigerator. I'm a ChE, not an EE, so I just don't get it...

Chris

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I tried switching the amperage and it won't work if the charger is plugged into the wall and Volt. Removing the J1772 connector from the charge port is all that is necessary to allow the charger to switch. If all 4 lights flash when pressing the button, then the J1772 connector is attached to the Volt.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Understanding the logic behind it helps.

The actual current consumed is determined by the charging electronics in the car.

The EVSE (charging cord) signals to the car the maximum current that it is capable of supplying. This is done by a handshake pilot signal on initial connection. Based on this signal, the charger within the car sets the charge rate not to exceed the signaled amount. This way, the delayed charge start time is calculated so charging ends at the appropriate time.

Once the handshake with the car determines the maximum charge rate it is fixed unless the charge cycle is interrupted.

Therefore, the orange button on the 120V charge card can only be used to configure the charge rate before it is connected to the car. To change it, unplug the connector at the car then push the button to change the rate, then reconnect.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Same answer. Too complicated by half. I guess I'll get used to it, but it will detract from the experience. CaptJack's "stripper" is sounding better and better.

Too late to turn back now though. My Volt is at status 3400, and due to be built this week.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just checked this, and you all are right (of course). The socket does NOT seem to matter. But pilot error does matter... :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts