GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
That was interesting to watch. Thanks for posting it. Actually, I like the fact that GM limits the amount command change to the servos on lane assist movements. Without it, this being so new and untested, I would be too worried about a severe correction that might cause a wreck. If I had the right model year car, I might try this on an interstate doing a cross country trip.

·
Super Moderator
6,428 Posts
Well done! Initial 3:30 of video is a little distracting because of the windows but you had nice explanations of other projects. Great sound/video in remainder on the CommaAI setup and Level 2 enabled OpenPilot ('autopilot'-like) driving.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Have you tried any Forks? I have played with a few of them and currently running one that allows the following distance button on the steering wheel to work along with the dash indicator for distance, the acceleration is select able to a higher rate of acceleration. The car will come to a complete stop behind cars in front of me and auto resume when they move and I can resume cruise control from 7mph vs 18. Braking to a stop behind vehicles has been vastly improved. Those functions make driving my car in Seattle traffic a dream. Currently in works is Automatic Lane Change Assist which is pretty close to being completed, this will change lanes left or right according to the signal (blinker)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got 2018 LAN keep assistance which is useless, keeping in right side little better than left side, left side must pass lane line then turn back but already pass line.
I wonder it there any adjustments I could to improve left side.(dealer service don't know much thing in volt, always need to contact Detroit, I worry future volt shut down where I get service information.)

Adaptive cc work better but still stop at front car too close, or it starting a stop initiation too slow, I have to prepare my right foot to emergency stop every time that adaptive cc make a stop, although it always stop in time but get me scared, I can tell front car feel uncomfortable and move forward a little bit after my adaptive cc stop.

Does open pilot will work better on stop distance position? or could I do some adjustments on open pilot to make stop distance at best position?

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you have knowledge of Linux you can adjust stop distance, lane placement, following distance and many other features with Open Pilot. It is open source software.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Do the 2019s have the same limit on the amount the car will steer by itself?
Open Pilot is not currently available for the 2019 volt.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey all, I successfully installed open pilot into the volt and wanted to post the demo video of its capabilities here. It cost me 900 and a couple hours of time to install - over all pretty easy and it’s performace has been very good.

https://youtu.be/Ikb8SzzUweM

I'm quite the noob, but would love to add this to my Volt. You don't happen to have a video of you running the wires and unbolting the seats do you?

·
Super Moderator
6,428 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
for 4 years ive been dying for a volt. so just got a 2017 volt premier rather recently. thinking it had all the convivence features, i didnt hesitate and bought within a week. within the month i was using, i noticed it wasn't adapting speeds to the cars ahead. i looked online and apparently depending on the "front grill" that will tell u if u have ACC. mine does not and i went to a forum saying my dreams of OP were dashed cause of the lack of acc. someone comes along saying u dont need acc for openpilot. can someone help me with this? i thought u needed several modern features for OP to take over and drive.

·
Super Moderator
6,428 Posts
... lack of acc. someone comes along saying u dont need acc for openpilot. can someone help me with this? i thought u needed several modern features for OP to take over and drive.
AFAIK you do need radar/acc for openpilot. We have a 2016 Volt that show the distance to the car in front of you but apparently it uses the cameras for that. I asked around and was told you needed radar (and the associated canbus messages). Did that other forum clarify or point you to someone using openpilot withOUT ACC (radar)?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.